Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sometimes carrying a gun doesn't make you safer.

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by l_boy, Jul 26, 2020.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What are you talking about? Other than the shooter, who might be lying, I don't see any witnesses or report that the victim fired his gun or even pointed it, they say he was walking towards the car with the gun pointing down ... If that holds, it's straight up murder.

2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    We need a link for that. If you don't know how to do a link I can either tell you or you can say where you saw the video.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. FeeBart

FeeBart VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    Speechless...His mentality is a danger to everyone around him. I don’t care what side he’s on.

You point or brandish a gun at someone expect return fire. I don’t get how some people don’t get this. Open carry is complete insanity. A gun is not a toy ...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    So we have conflicting stories . The chain of events. We know that the driver was surrounded by protestors and a man wearing a mask approached his car with an AK 47.

We know the driver shot the man 3 times.
    There were other gun shots heard.
    And with that little I fo we have posters hoping someone gets the electric chair?

Amazing.
    So much we do not know. So much surmising.
    Not to mention trying to figure out what the driver saw, heard, or felt.
    Do I think the man deserved to die for carrying an AK....no. but I will not jump to the conclusion that this warrants the death penalty either.
    We have seen plenty of violence from "protestors" across the nation. Almost 30 people have died in direct connection to thenprptests. Cars have been shot into. People beaten, burned, and killed.
    Maybe before wishing the electric chair on someone we should try to u understand what happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The violence at these “peaceful protests” continues. I guess the lesson to be learned is it is not a real good idea to bring an AK-47 to a protest. This guy in Austin is dead and three more could have met the same fate in Louisville yesterday.

These protesters might want to leave their guns at home in the future.

7. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    The interviewer asks him if thinks he'll use it, and he says "nah, if I use it against the cops, I'm dead, and the people who hate us are p****s who won't stop and do anything about it...."

Doesn't really sound like some expecting to use his gun, or "looking for a fight", as was "paraphrased" above.:rolleyes:

Anyway, since the guy that shot him wouldn't know what he said or didn't say in that interview, it doesn't really matter. The witnesses so far are saying he was walking towards the car with his gun pointed down and there were no words exchanged before the shooter opened fire. No one says the victim fire any shots, let alone shot first, as has been (falsely?) reported in this thread.

8. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm not a gun person myself. I have no problem with people owning them as everyone I know who carries are extremely responsible people. I also don't know anyone firsthand that would walk around brandishing a rifle even in an open carry state in that context.

There are so many other productive ways to make change than what some of these groups are doing. Protest city halls. Demand public forums. Try to gain favor with the opposition through dialogue. People like this are looking to antagonize.

None of that is to say I know who fired first or whether any shooting was just or not.

9. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Excellent point and I've not seen this talked about nearly enough. The lack of talent at these gatherings is very telling, IMO. It does really seem a lot of the people that frequent these protests are searching for relevance.

10. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    you always take the low road.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    I am assuming witnesses are all protestors.

12. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Such a cop out. There's nothing to figure out. You assume it because it fits your narrative.

13. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You have common sense, so hope this doesn’t come across as an agree bc you suited up for the O&B.

Anytime you are walking around with a loaded Ak-47, be prepared. Especially during a protest. Not that complicated...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I have absolutely zero sympathy for the guy who got killed. I detest guns. He was behaving stupidly with one and it got him killed.

I’m sorry if that’s insensitive but it’s just such a predictable outcome that’s so easily avoidable if you’re the least bit sensible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. It is getting to where everyone is bringing guns now. Both sides.

16. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    And I totally stand by that based on what I know today and what the witnesses are saying. I think open carry is a stupid law, but it's legal in Texas, so you can't gun a man down for walking in your direction with a gun pointed at the ground ... that's murder.

Plus, the guy in the car was the aggressor anyway, apparently lunging his car at group of protesters and shouting at them. Sounds like he was "spoiling for a fight". Probably already had his gun in hand and looking for someone to take offense to his actions.

17. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Did this happen at "a march" or "a riot". I must be confused. I didn't think people stopped and did interviews during a riot.

18. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I don’t have any sympathy for anyone who is willingly taking part in these riots. I have sympathy for the police who have been abandoned by their so called leaders. I have sympathy for the business owners who feel that they have to stay to try and protect their businesses. I feel particularly sorry for inadvertently finds themselves in the wrong place at the right time.

Peaceful protesting is gathering in an appropriate place to air your grievances. It is NOT looting, arson, vandalization and assault.

If your are a peaceful protester, the nanosecond any of the above begins, that should be your queue that it is time to leave.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Zero clue. Don’t walk around with an AK-47 unless you are willing to throw down. Dumb move on the deceased. Fox News will call it a riot. CNN a March. I have no clue except don’t walk around the streets with AK’s unless you are looking for trouble.

Edit: changed all of my posts to protest versus riot. Think it is irrelevant, but don’t walk around downtown with an AK.

20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The lack of talent at these gatherings make the women on Dan Newlin’s billboard ads look like Gator cheerleaders.

PITBOSS May think that I am taking the low road but who cares. These are people desperately seeking relevance. I feel sorry for so many people that are so unhappy. These rioters must have had some real F’d up childhoods.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1