Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Something I've never seen before in football

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Jan 17, 2022.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Late in the 49ers and Cowboys game, the 49ers barely made what appeared to be a first down, which would have probably allowed them to run out the clock. The play was reviewed, and the referee announced that he would re-spot the ball for measurement. Then he didn't something i've never seen before. Instead of spotting the ball north and south, he spotted the ball half-turned to the side. When then measured, this meant of course that the ball, being turned that way, was just short of the chain and the first down was negated, forcing the 49s to punt.

Now is there a rule or procedure for spotting the ball that way instead of north and south? It looked to me like outright cheating by the ref, for the Cowboys to get the ball, but I knew it couldn't be cheating because the ref did it in front of everyone and no one said a word. So someone please excuse my ignorance and tell me why the ball was spotted that way for a crucial measurement.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I saw the same thing and thought the ball was pointed in the right direction. They just moved it back a couple inches so it was just touching the front part of the line, not over halfway into the line like before. Not sure how wide those lines actually are. Around 3-4 inches I'm guessing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, I saw them move the ball back, but then it was spotted with the point of the ball not pointing north and south, it was turned. But as I say, that's just what I saw, and your eyes could be better than mine. (I was completely sober when I saw what I saw.)

4. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    I thought the ball was facing north and south too. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

5. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    If you can rewatch it, I would love to know what there was about it that gave me the illusion it was not spotted north and south. And when the chain was put down for the second measurement, the ball was still not pointing north and south, which looked to be exactly why it was short. But if I'm the only one who saw it, I'll have to say that the TV set was playing tricks on me.

6. archigator_96

Apr 8, 2020
    The whole play was VERY close. Probably one of the closest I've ever seen. I thought there wasn't enough to overturn it since the camera wasn't exactly down the line to gain but whatever, I didn't have a dog in that hunt anyway.

7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ball was aligned as normal. Black strap from the sticks briefly obscures and likely messed with your brain's perception of the orientation. Human brain is certainly happy to fill in it's own extrapolated version of the visual field.

1:21

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    That's not the play I'm talking about.

9. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007

Check the 18:40 mark on this vid (before the nfl takes it down).

10. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    The only reason I could think of that the ball would not be spotted north and south is that they tried to spot in the same position it was when the runner went down. But I've never seen any refs being that scientific. In fact, the way they measure with those chains from the sideline is not very scientific either.

11. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Should probably be able to find it earlier in the vid @believer posted then if it wasn't the big call on the last possession.

12. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    No matter, the Bucs are still in it!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks for the link, I watched the YouTube. And the ball when respotted was indeed spotted north and south. I don't know why I saw what I saw, but as I say I was completely sober at the time. Maybe I should have been drunk, which does give me moments of clarity. Anyway I apologize for this whole distraction.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. archigator_96

Apr 8, 2020
    True, I even noticed on that same play that as they stretched out the chain it was seemingly pulled tight and then it stretched again to make it a little closer.

15. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    The thing that annoyed me is that they stopped the clock with 29 seconds left on the play clock. Then after the review, the RESET the play clock to 25 seconds (as per very bad rule) AND added 4 seconds to the game clock. Those 8 seconds could have changed the game. Thank goodness they didn't.

16. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    The other annoyance was Romo pulling for the Cowboys about as hard as I would pull for the Gators if I were watching them. At least TRY to be professional about it.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of those guys operating the chains have been on actual chain gangs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Like i mentioned in an earlier post, the refs did Everything they could to make sure the cowboy would get
    the ball back and prevent the 49ers form having the last possession. The refs review was one of the longest Ive ever seen. "Lets spend forever in the rule book just to see how we can overturn this 1st down".

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    [​IMG]

20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1