Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some things I heard today (June 29th).

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mdfgator, Jun 29, 2018.

1. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Just looked it up. It was Kyle Morris and Hebert Perry. I remember KM having a very weak arm, and I thought HP had a bigger upside but wasn’t given the chance.

Also read that we failed to score a single touchdown in four straight games (vs Memphis St!, @Vandy!, vs Auburn, shutout, and vs UGA) while Emmit was sidelined with an injury.

2. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    This is true, which robbed Amadee of of his most potent weapon - using Emmitt as a decoy. I was there at Vandy when we lost to the 'dores. We were 5-0 and had just beaten a top-10 LSU team when Stacey Simmons got hurt. Then Emmitt got hurt and we were absolutely helpless. The last time we were shutout was homecoming 1988 against Auburn. I think the 1988 offense after Game 5 was the worst we've had since 1979, and Amadee shares the blame for that disaster. We certainly were not loaded by any means, but we had some talent on offense, certainly enough to be better than we were.

3. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I was at that AU game. And it wasn't fun. But the AU game 2 years later was one of the funnest I've ever been to. Just shows how fast things can turn around.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You are thinking of our starting QBs in 1989 after the suspension.
    Kyle Morris was our starting QB in 1988. He did ok, and played in 1989 too.
    Then he got suspended mid-year 1989 due to a gambling violation, and never started again.
    Some RFR QB named Shane Matthews got suspended along with Morris also for gambling, but most shrugged their shoulders at that loss.

After that bloodbath of fired coaches and suspended QBs, the infamous Donald Douglas stepped in. He went 1 for 5 for 5 yards vs Auburn in a memorable game. (And we almost won.)

5. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    If memory serves me, we "should've" won that game. I think we gave up a 25 yard TD pass on 4th and long.

6. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Yep. Looks like 4th and 11 with 26 seconds left. That sucked royally and another reason I dislike AU. :mad:

Top 30 at Jordan-Hare: #12 Auburn 10, Florida 7

7. twobits

twobits VIP Member

Jun 1, 2007
    it is certainly quibbling, but IMO Lynn Amadee edges out Whitey Jordan for next to the worst of all time. Amadee at least had enough imagination to believe Emmitt could occasionally be a decoy, and it is rumored he had actually learned that a forward pass on first down was not against the rules. Whitey was Emmitt left, Emmitt up the middle, Emmitt right, 4th and 1, Punt. If we had any other decent skill position players, Emmitt would have set the all time rushing record. Unbeliveable what he did against 10 men fronts.

'88 QB's were Kyle Morris and Herbert Perry (excellent baseball player). '89 Morris, Donald Douglas and Lex Smith who had a cannon and never saw the field. I assume he was colorblind, later a linebacker.

If we had Emmitt in '90, we might have beaten Georgia worse than 75-0. It would have been a lot of fun to see Emmitt in the Fun n' Gun, but it was not to be.

Nuss certainly "nusstled" up to Amadee and Whitey to complete the Three Stooges of all-time offensive Gator offensive coordinators. Zaunbrecher threw away all the Spurrier playbooks laying around the office. He is #4 from the bottom and completes the Mount Rushmore in offensive futility.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I can see the hardcover now...

Offensive Minds: From Amadee to Zaunbrecher

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1