Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some SCOTUS justices held prayer meetings with religious group that advocated before the Court?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jul 6, 2022.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This is the only poll I've seen you cite, and it's from BEFORE Dobbs overturned Roe. Note how it discusses the DRAFT opinion. It's from May 6. The Supreme "Court" issued Dobbs on June 24.

2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

No. I guess my assumption is that this would happen in a liberal court and that it likely does happen. Its the religious aspect that gets attention.

If Im wrong about that, then I'll own it, but i find it hard to believe that this is the first time that justices have had in person connections with those of vested interest.

I assume we can never know

3. tilly

Just google obama praying.

4. tilly

Yep. I see that. The article was on the front page the day after the ruling. I hate when CNN does that.

It was after the leak, not the ruling so I apologize.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Having connections and hosting private, non-disclosed meetings in chambers are two different discussions. To the best of my knowledge, private, ex-parte communications with interested parties are, at a minimum, ethically prohibited for any regulatory authority, be it a local zoning board or the USSC. The fact that they are doing it with no repercussions is a sad reflection on our country's leadership. Congress should impeach and remove any judge that does this on any level, be it a liberal or conservative judge. And I disagree that non disclosed ex-parte meetings with interested parties are routine at any level of the judiciary. I am sure it occurs but seriously doubt that it is rampant or even routine.

Perhaps some of the lawyers or others engaged in the profession can speak to the likelihood of this being routine in the judiciary. I have been advised that I am subject to criminal prosecution if I fail to disclose before any of the zoning hearings that I vote on.

I would be interested to hear @blackbird68 opinion on this as I believe he is a retired federal judge.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    There's not a great rule of the thumb for it because judges have friends who appear before them. Being a judge doesn't mean you have to stop socializing with friends. But there are some clear lines to draw. For example, a judge shouldn't be inviting a friend back to chambers to socialize ex parte during a trial where that friend is representing a party. The goal is to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with all use would say but I think it goes beyond simple appearances. Especially in the second article about the wining and dining, these are individuals meeting with justices and advocating for very specific positions on cases that will come before them. It's not just the appearance, it's the actuality

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Oh, but I do, just not in public and not to anyone in particular, nor do I call them prayers. I believe strongly in sending my thoughts to those who are suffering and halfway believe they're "received". "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."