Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some SCOTUS justices held prayer meetings with religious group that advocated before the Court?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_lawyer, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So what if I don’t believe in prayer?

I am for it. You do you. Let me exist.

Why is this so difficult?

2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

That wasn't my point. You arent one of the posters here who openly ridicules prayer and faith. Even praying people have different povs. Some think its like a list for Santa. A self serving thing.

I believe it is more of a connection thing. It bonds is to the creator. It isnt about what can it do for me.

3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It may have been more than prayer meetings

The former leader of a religious right organization said he recruited and coached wealthy volunteers including a prominent Dayton, Ohio, evangelical couple to wine, dine and entertain conservative Supreme Court justices while pushing conservative positions on abortion, homosexuality, gun restrictions and other issues.

Rob Schenck, an Assembly of God minister who headed the Faith and Action group headquartered near the Supreme Court from 1995 to 2018, said he arranged over the years for about 20 couples to fly to Washington to visit with and entertain Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and the late Antonin Scalia.

I love this

Schenck’s own decision to break with the religious right is detailed in the 2015 documentary “The Armor of Light,” and his 2018 book, “Costly Grace: An Evangelical Minister’s Rediscovery of Faith, Hope, and Love.”

He is currently the director of the Washington-based Dietrich Bonhoeffer Institute, named for the German theologian who opposed Nazism.

‘Operation Higher Court’: Inside the religious right’s efforts to wine and dine Supreme Court justices

• Informative Informative x 5
  4. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Next comes the prohibition of contraception, which the fundamentalists have for years set as one of their major goals. Thomas brought it up in the Dobbs decision, and many of the legal bases used for the original Roe decision are the same legal bases used to allow contraceptive use.

And yes, Alito specifically mentioned in his decision that it did not relate to contraceptives and other issues. Well, he is a proven liar based on what he said during his nomination hearings compared to how he recently ruled, and he's lying again.

Alito is an extreme right-wing ideologue who is making rulings based on his personal political feelings without regard to actual, honest legal reasoning. He wrote what he did about the ruling not applying to contraception and other issues as a purposeful gaslighting attempt designed to cause reasonable people to lower their vigilance about contraception, thereby lowering the noise level surrounding the issue until the Court goes ahead and prohibits contraception.

What we have going on is a bunch of hypocritical frauds, most of whom, having had many enjoyable moments thanks to the easy availability of contraceptives, are trying to prevent the rest of society from using the contraceptives that the hypocrites benefitted so much from using.

I know someone who took advantage of contraceptives and enjoyed the pleasures derived from them more than most people I know, who, once he married a post-menopausal religious extremist, became one himself and now thinks that contraceptives should be banned. If she died, and if he somehow began a relationship with a pre-menopausal woman, I guarantee that he'd instantly revert to approving of the use of contraceptives.

This is about hypocrites trying to control the sex lives of Americans, along with their thought processes. If you think all of this extremist garbage, whether it's abortion; contraceptive prohibition; abridging free speech; mandating the teaching of false, far right-wing ideology in social studies courses; blotting out history that everyone with a brain knows is the truth; dishonesty; embrace of fascism; and other ridiculously extreme measures; won't move the needle in the upcoming elections, you are whistling past the graveyard!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Your morals are twisted Junior.

6. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Wow. What a terrible analysis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tilly

Based on what? You think I am wrong? Show me the data that more people will vote based on abortion than the economy.
    I posted the data above. More pro-lifers are now fired up to vote than the opposite.

8. reboundgtr

reboundgtr VIP Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Jawja
    You are free to believe that you can believe it.

9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding what Roe means to a lot of women.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Misunderstanding and dismissive

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. tilly

I showed you the data.
    You seem to be misunderstanding that many women may be more concerned about putting gas in the car.

I showed you the data. At the moment, more conservative voters are fired up about the roe outcome than liberal voters.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. tilly

Bullcrap. I cited data. You are dismissing that.

13. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Nope. Again, you dismiss how important this is to a lot of women. Typically you would be right but none of the data would capture this right now.

14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, you didn't. You showed data from BEFORE Roe was actually overturned. I'll show you data from AFTER Roe was overturned.
    Home of the Marist Poll | Polls, Analysis, Learning, and More
    Following the decision, President Joe Biden asserted that Roe will be on the ballot in November. 61% of Americans agree, saying the Court’s decision will make them more likely to vote in this year’s midterm elections, and, by a double-digit margin (15 points), they think the decision will motivate them to vote for a congressional candidate who will support federal legislation that will restore the protections of Roe v. Wade.

Here’s What the Latest Polls Tell Us About Abortion and the 2022 Midterms
    The Court issued its ruling on the morning of June 24. In a CBS News/YouGov survey taken on June 24 and 25, 50 percent of Democrats said the Court’s decision to overturn Roe made them more likely to vote in the midterms. Among Republicans, the number was only 20 percent. A Marist/NPR/PBS poll found almost the same gap: by 24 percentage points, Democrats were more likely than Republicans to say that Court’s ruling increased their inclination to vote.

Many Republicans were already eager to vote based on other issues, chiefly inflation. So perhaps their enthusiasm didn’t have much room to grow. Still, they could have indicated that the abortion ruling would add to their motivation. They didn’t. And that makes sense, because voters tend to be mobilized by anger, not satisfaction. The simplest explanation for the partisan gap in polls is that Dobbs has alarmed pro-choice voters, not pro-life voters.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    You think what's happening now is just about abortion. It's far more than that. It's telling women they don't have the right to control their own bodies. It's telling them they don't have the right to make their own medical decisions. It's telling them that they aren't equals in our society.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    When the Constitution was first passed, women were not treated equally. And, the Equal Rights Amendment has never been ratified. It was male landowners who were treated equally. Originalism. Most of what you write doesn’t matter. Democrats are underrepresented everywhere because of the way the Congressional districts are drawn. The nation will be ruled by minority rule. As the male landowners who originally founded this country intended.

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Supreme Court justices meeting with interested parties and then ruling on those parties applications doesn't concern you? should we abolish all lobbying rules then?

if it was a liberal court who routinely held private, non-disclosed meetings with ACLU and BLM before ruling on their cases, would it concern you? It seems that religion is blinding you to the problem here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    no, there is a problem with interested parties having private ex-parte meetings with powerful gubmnt officials that will make laws/rulings. I sit on a local zoning board. I would be removed if I had private meetings with interested parties and did not disclose the meetings and the subject of the meetings. Apparently, I am held to a higher standard of ethics than the USSC. That is the problem, not prayer. Prayer is just the deflection, red herring, etc to deflect a rational argument into an emotional one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I understand all that. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. tilly

How can you possibly know the data isnt right? There are millions of pro life women fired up about this too.

The most dismissed group in the entire political spectrum may indeed be pro life women.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. tilly

No. The polls were taken before and AFTER. Read it again