Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some perspective and Reality

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 18, 2019.

1. gatorfan01

gatorfan01 Freshman

Aug 21, 2018
    Look if you want realistic picture of today's championship caliber teams specially fro SEC then you need elite talent. We all love CDM and what he achieved so far. But for two years, I was getting really excited about our Home wins and bowl invitations thinking that got to catch recruits attention. Afterall LSU, UGA, Auburn and TA&M seems to recruit without much success on the field. Why Gators need to be happy for 6,7 or 8 th rank class. Every class we recruit today that gives hope for championship down the line after 2-3 year. Does that mean we hope to hope to have top 3 class next year which will make us somewhat in national picture 2023. Every top team that recruited players they also fulfilled their needs. It's not like those coaches just got their first job. There are instances where Mullen got out coached or made mistakes too this season. Don't act like CDM coaching will compensate all shortcomings. Coach MAC screwed up lot of things last year when he got fired but agree or disagree, I saw every single post on this forum drinking similar cool aid and praising him for finding diamonds in rough and coaching his first two years when we were winning SEC East. Problem starts because without elite talent success on the field is not guaranteed long term. Look at our own offensive line. They are under CDM and same Line Coach for 2 full year. After their play this year, it just looks they just started playing football. Point is Good coaching can do wonders but FIRST you need talent in today's competitive environment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    But that's all it was, rumors. A click bait. A hook. Throwing shades. Why are we disappointed? Did any of the UF coaches proclaimed that they were going to flip some of these guys? Don't think so. We are upset because "we" believed these rumors, click bait, hook, etc. because "we" are suckers. When none of the rumors materialized, "we" point our fingers on the coaches.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  3. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Personally, I didn't think the LSU game was as close as the final score indicated. And Bama put up points against Auburn (w/o Tua), but their loaded 5star defense didn't make enough stops. Even with Tua, I still think LSU, OSU, and Clemson are better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Shouldn't matter when you're classes are literally 5* backing up 5*. No excuses when their HC is supposed to be the "goat" :)rolleyes:) AND they get the refs 99% of the time, and they are supposed to out-talent 75% of the CFB landscape combined.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 All American

Oct 6, 2019
    I’m not mad at the coaches... I’m disappointed that we went Ofer on possible flips.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I agree Clemson's ACC schedule is horrid. BUT- a few years ago the ACC was strong.
    At least equal to the SEC west this year minus LSU. Jimbo was at FSU, Petrino at Ville, etc.
    And Clemson has destroyed teams that outrecruit them each year- tOSU (31-0!), Oklahoma, and Bama.
    If Clemson were pretenders they wouldn't win 2 playoff games/ year.
    This isn't the old system where overrated teams coasted by on easy schedules and then were locked into bowl games.
    You have to earn it- and Clemson has.

As PD says- if talent were all that, why isn't Bama going 15-0?
    I did the research...
    Over the last 4 years Bama has signed 14 5 stars and 104 recruits. 104!!
    Yet we played LSU better than they did. We beat Auburn and they did not.
    A poster may say- well Bama had to play their 2nd string vs Auburn.
    But WE also played our 2nd string QB. And 3rd string.
    So yeah-that argument is garbage. Talent is important but locker room and development are too.
    Bama obviously isn't doing what they used to.

I know everyone wants to win recruiting.
    But Mullen isn't the type to do that. He's not a sweet talker, a snake oil salesman, basically a liar.
    He's just not.

The fans who want to win recruiting each year should probably switch over to Bama or UGA or Ohio State.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Yet, Urban hired Billy G and probably would still have him on his staff if he didn’t quit via Post-it note.

8. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    LSU hadn't done crap either til this year and that was all due to Burrow. Someone they didn't even sign out of HS. Ugaly still hasn't won chit except one SEC title. OSU has one nat champ in the last 18 years to show for their efforts. CU has more with lower rated classes. And the point anyway was that having great recruiting classes doesn't "always" mean you're going to be competing for nat champs. I'd rather have great coaching staff and top 10 classes any day.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    So. They're still behind like 6 SEC teams most years and still win most of the games they play against SEC teams including kicking the ass of the perennial recruiting nat champs last year. Glad they're not in the conference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Man, if you're going to write a novel, maybe you should consider getting a proofreader.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    [/QUOTE]
    You mean Joe Brady cause Burrow was still at LSU in 2018 when they went 10-3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008

You mean Joe Brady cause Burrow was still at LSU in 2018 when they went 10-3.[/QUOTE]

We'll see how Joe Brady does without Burrow next year. My money is on "not near as well".

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    We'll see how Joe Brady does without Burrow next year. My money is on "not near as well".[/QUOTE]

Maybe but your quote was kinda off since Burrow was average in 2018 and didnt take off until Brady changed up the passing game

• Like Like x 1
  14. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It wasnt too long ago when Josh Robinson rushed for 1200 +/- yards. The last couple years he had a 800 yard rusher (between 1st and 2nd string RBs they ran for 1000+) not to include QB production.

15. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is nuts. Billy G is ONE of THE best WR coaches in the nation snd happens to be our highest ranked recruiter at #46 w 7 commits and a 91.74 star average. (Primary recruiter on Kaiir Elam, Secondary Recruiter on Bogle, secondary on Jalon Jones, secondary on dionte marks, secondary Riley Simonds, keeper jamrkis weston-beat out Seider,

Our 2nd best (according to 247) is Larry Scott. 4 commits w 93.74 star average. Thats pretty damn good.

#70 Todd Grantham. 6 commits 91.65

#90 John Hevesy 6 @ 88.65

Shit. Tee Martin is #120 and his reputation is as a kick ass recruiter. We have at least 3 recruiters ranked higher than several Clemson coaches outside of Venerables.

Then we get to Greg Knox at 148 w 4 commits @ 90.21 (secondary recruiter on Nayquan, secondary on kimbrough, primary dionte marks, primary Diwun Black)

I think theres a ton of over reaction. Who gives a shit we got trolled by a kid that will never sniff a division title let alone SEC? We killed it on the DL (a position of tremendous need) we signed some very athletic DBs (which we definitely need) we got our QB of the future along with some monsters on the O line. Big deal we didnt sign a RB early. This is NOT Dans first rodeo. Hell come up w something...that will work well and im still not sure it will appease the whiners on this board. My God alot of you are depressing AF!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well that’s the old argument. When you are Clemson, or say fsu in the 90s, and your conference sucks...you are able to blow teams out and rest players. It is more likely that players stay healthy all season and don’t get worn down when you coast to victory.

So Clemson now and FSU in the 90s have an advantage. Maybe Clemson is better than Bama - they beat them on the field. But Bama lost many players to attrition in violent wars vs LSU and auburn and others while ACC champion starters are watching movies in the third quarter. Recruiting rankings back up that those sec teams are more talented than the ACC teams Clemson plays and so do nfl drafts.

The converse is that sec teams are more battle tested then a Clemson or 90s fsu but seems to be being fresh and healthy matters more. Us gator fans complained about FSU easy path in the 90s but...the fresher rested FSU squad more often than I like beat my battle tested gator team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 All American

Oct 6, 2019
    People are so short-sighted. It was a great day signing everyone that was supposed to sign. It was a terrible day adding anyone else. Which maybe makes it a good ESD but definitely not great.

End of discussion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Simple to show...how many times in the last decade have we played them with the QB that started the season under center?

• Like Like x 1
  19. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well this year those same stats show billy and Knox were the primary recruiters for zero recruits thus far. I don’t think that should ever be the case for any coach on staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I can’t take credit for this quote but it is spot on.

“The perfect season for a Gator fan is going 13-0, winning the NC, and firing the coach the next day”

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1