Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some Early Post fsu Bits of Tid

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    If they weren’t they should have been. Johnny was UF’s MVP under the previous staff. He didn’t get distance and height, he kicked for distance and altitude.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Nice to have two Pouncey’s on the roster again!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Manuel or Graham, maybe?

4. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Maybe Graham. Especially since it doesn't look like Bowman will come. I doubt Manuel is in the class too due to grades.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    two now, one just committed on the 28th.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ahudson

ahudson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Dad had money

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ruralgator18

ruralgator18 All American

Apr 21, 2007
    Yeah they’re a Florida family. Had a third brother who also went to UF but didn’t play a sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks Candy. We've had another very solid season on the field. I just can't shake the feeling that we aren't properly capitalizing on the momentum in terms of recruiting. Meyer was a true master at closing blue chippers on the heels of a big win. I'm not in panic mode. I just don't see us catching UGA and others unless we can win a few battles for truly elite kids. Really sucks to see in-state studs like Bowman and Dumervil looking outside of FL. Thank god Dexter seems to be solid, but we need at least a few more. Tim Smith is an absolute must get, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2007
    UF has to keep more of the state's best in-state, I won't understand if UF doesn't get at least 1/3 of the top 10-20 kids in-state. Right now we have 3 of the top 20 Fla kids committed, the number should be 6-8.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Urban Meyers came to UF at a good point. Zook was a great recruiter; locked down the state and made in-roads across the country.

He sold Florida to a lot of HS freshman and sophomores. All Meyer had to do was win to restore those relationships.

Mullen isn't the recruiter that Urban or Zook was, but it's compounded because he's fighting uphill. Until recently, FSU was the best team in the state and Alabama got whoever they wanted. Now Clemson, whose has established relationships in the state for years, and Georgia, are taking a huge bite out of the state.

Those are four teams Urban didn't have to really recruit against in 2005 and 2006. Recall that Tebow chose between Florida and Alabama and THERE WERE MANY PEOPLE who didn't understand why Alabama had ANY appeal at all

Different landscape entirely in 2019.

If Mullen can hang on 2-3 more years, the fight won't be as hard. I really suspect Saban will retire soon and FSU and Miami have mismanaged their way into mediocrity.

We just have to stay relevant to soak in all its rewards.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. MoscowGtr

MoscowGtr All American

Aug 17, 2011
    There is a lot of truth in there. I think the “Mullen isn’t the recruiter that Urban or Zook was...” understates a significant aspect of the problem, but it is just factor among many as you say. Another that you don’t touch on may be as simple as that UF hasn’t really been relevant for about a decade (e.g., the same coach, Mullen, would have had an easier sale had he taken over in 2010).

Mullen is a very good coach, so the recruiting has been frustrating. I don’t know that there is reason to assume that the competition will decline—in fact, FSU and UM may hire good coaches who can bring excitement to those programs—so Mullen needs to find a way to recruit better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Miami is stuck with Diaz for at least two more years I would assume. So even if they nail the next coach (and I have zero reason to believe they will; they have never won the ACC in now 15 years), you are looking at 3-4 years of crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    It's Graham or Jonvier.

It was obvious that Martinez was going to get processed out of LSU's class (I mean it hasn't happened yet but you get the feeling it's going to happen if they close with the class we expect them to)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    WR - Henderson

WR - Heath

DT - Lee

DT - Smith

A running back

Pinder is a wildcard. I can see him coming in but it WILL create a log jam at DT if you factor in the DT class we THINK we'll bring in next year (Collins, Taylor, Thomas, and possibly Watson). I do have to remember though that we're losing a lot at DT at the end of the 2020 season so I can see why we'll load up over the next two seasons at that position.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  15. ShadowCat

ShadowCat Senior

Jan 6, 2015
    The tv announcers hit an important topic during the game. FSU has not developed any of their recruits, where Mullen has history of developing 3* recruits and getting them ready to play teams like LSU and Bama. Michigan was noted as a similar program to FSU...land the recruits, but no development.

As Mullen lands more 4* and develops them we will keep getting better and the 5* recruits will come and be developed as well. Think Clemson... Mullen will have us competing for NC's in the next couple years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    What is interesting to me is that I went over to a UGA site and they have the #4 class and are complaining they only have 4 guys from the state of Georgia committed in this class. I'm not disagreeing that UF should be locking down the State ( to the extent it can be ) but I do think it will take time to overcome the damage left behind for CDM. I also think he and his staff have and are making inroads to bring back the brand so to speak. It was estimated UF had about 500 potential recruits in attendance for the nole game. That requires effort.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    And those 500 kids just saw UF and the Swamp at its best. Loud and proud! What a great game experience for them to go home and talk to all their buddies about. Those same kids will have seen the empty seats at FSU and UM games.

UF is on the rise. It is taking a little time, but we are making steady progress.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It's been discussed by other recruitniks I know that recruiting connections seemed pretty solid with TOG, with a few dissenters, but there were a lot more bad feelings in the state between hs coaches and the McElwain staff. Not sure why, but that's just the way it was, and it will take time and trust to correct that. Mullen is turning the tide though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ethan Pouncey is an interesting commit. What took him so long? 3 star, not so highly ranked but an incredible offer list. Has staff been trying to flip him or perhaps were he and staff waiting to see what happened with another higher ranked DB ? Is he S or CB ? Needs to add 20lbs if really 160.

Candy we have 4 DL commits. You expect 3 more? Did Powell-Ryland get injured and is that part of why we will try to load up?

I don’t see Dumervil and Martinez at UF together because LSU looks like a juggernaut even though we know without Burreaux they will be a different offense and already have a susceptible defense. Hope we get one of the two.

Bama looks shaky, Saban shaken. We could get Tim Smith.

Thinking a decommit could come from OL.

Why we don’t already have one marquis WR committed is a mystery to me- one. I’m wondering if Mullen’s incredible success with a passing QB has altered his philosophy and eventually he’s less worried about a running QB.

Gibbs seems like a great RB.

Being a stars guy I had hoped we would finish with all four star players to really solidify a top class. Maybe ?

20. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    So Georgia is getting an in home visit with Dexter this week?

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.