Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    According to the Oregon softball site, Kaila will redshirt this season and play in 2025 as a redshirt sophomore.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    You can only enter during the window, unless you’re a graduate. You don’t have to sign during the window though. Once you’re in, you’re in. You can sign at anytime. Your eligibility would be dependent on when you get enrolled at the new school, and I believe she would be able to get enrolled in time to play this spring if she wanted to. She has opted to redshirt.

Right now there is a temporary injunction making all transfer athletes immediately eligible. No sitting out for anyone. Multiple basketball players across the country that were waiting on waivers became eligible because of the court ruling and are now playing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    The TRO is true, but if it is lifted, what then?
    CTW says if you enter the Dec 1-15 portal, you cannot play the next season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Who knows what’s going to happen if the ncaa wins the lawsuit. The ncaa is a shit show. I, personally, will be surprised if they win. I’ll be even more suprised if they win and then decide to punish the athletes who took advantage of the TRO. Who really knows though?

Whatever the case is, she won’t be ineligible because she signed on the 20th instead of between the 1-15, like the post I initially quoted implied.

If they enter during either window and get enolled at the new school before the season starts, I’ve seen nothing that says they would have to sit out. The rules are convoluted, but I’ve read a lot about this and don’t see anything in writing that says softball players that move during the fall window are ineligible to compete in the upcoming spring. In fact, most of the articles I’ve read imply the opposite. Academic eligibility is the key driver on whether they’re eligible to play, assuming they enter the portal during the available windows.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    What The New Transfer Windows Mean For Baseball • D1Baseball

This article alludes to a rule similar to what ctw told you, but then goes on to say that softball does not have this rule. I can’t find anything from the ncaa that talks about this specifically either way.

We’re just shitty fans, I guess. We’re not meant to understand any of this stuff. The rules seem to change daily at this point anyway, and the courts are shooting down ncaa regs left and right no matter what the schools try to do.:emoji_shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As poor as the ncaa is, they will lose the next lawsuit that someone hits them with. Until they get a person that understands sports rather than a politician, butt kisser, etc, the ncaa will continue to be a giant screwed up mess. They say one thing, do another and then arbitrarily enforce some rules while overlooking other schools. The late great Jerry Tarkanian said it best, "they caught Kentucky cheating so the they gave Cleveland State 2 years of probation!".

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    The handwriting is on the wall for the NCAA and all of college sports, unfortunately. I think this quote sums up the horrible situation:

Conferences are no longer groups of like-minded schools with shared history and geography, they are media companies that exist to aggregate and sell the broadcast rights of their members. The next step in that evolution is an obvious one: The most valuable members keep congregating and shedding the dead weight until you end up with two leagues that look like college football’s answer to the AFC and NFC.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I do not remotely contend I actually understand all of this and, of course, the NCAA never has felt the need for logic and consistency. And if Tim has stated a December portal entry can't compete the next season, I have to go with that. But, I don't know when he offered that information and the landscape is changing rapidly so new developments may have altered that. I always thought....June or December....that as long as you officially enter the portal timely then it doesn't make any difference when you sign on with a new school (as long as prior to registration) and you don't have to sit out a season. I also don't pretend to fully understand this 12/18 directive from the NCAA, and I haven't tried to decipher all of the various sub-rules, but off hand it sounds like everyone is free to transfer without losing a season. Someone else smarter than me can interpret what this means. https://on3static.com/uploads/dev/assets/cms/2023/12/22145809/FILE_1149.pdf

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  11. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    To me, that reads the same as the first link I posted. Unless I missed it, I don’t see anywhere is says that spring sport athletes utilizing the fall window won’t be eligible for the upcoming spring. It says if you enter during the designated windows, you’re immediately eligible.

12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    You and Sandman70 finally convinced me.
    Now, what confuses me is that she waited until December 20 to sign.
    I wonder if that were her choice or Oregon's?
    Oregon's roster lists 2 freshmen infielders, 1 sophomore, 1 junior, and 3 seniors.
    None of the listed infielders hit .300 last year.
    It will be interesting to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Lots of players sign after the entry window closes. That’s not uncommon at all, especially in the secondary window thats only two weeks long.

Ftr, I wasn’t trying to prove you wrong or anything. CTW obviously said that because he believes it to be true. I just can’t find it in writing anywhere and most of what I can find seems to directly contradict what he said.

I won’t even begin to try to understand most of the landing spots. A lot of them make no sense to me at all.

14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I never thought you were, nor I, you.
    I'm just glad to have some softball discussion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Wait for the VB players to get into the money. They have everything in place to command $$$. Next to football, I can’t think of a collegiate sport that could command big money in NIL…at the least. Jmo

16. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Gymnasts are getting big bucks too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    It’s beginning. The twitter page @softballportal been re tweeting a few names.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    In the immortal words of Abe Simpson: "I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too."

For those of us very old people who aren't into social media and don't Twitter, please pass along any info!

• Like Like x 2
  19. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    The point is moot with Kaila. She had a serious broken leg, and could not play anyway.

20. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    3:27 AM?