Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Barring injury, we now have enough pitchers for the 24 season having obtained the services of 3 of the top 12 pitchers in the 23 class. They will get their baptism of fire early so they should be good to go for SEC play.

2. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    I'm not doubting anybody that says Olivia is immediately available. but I haven't seen an official word for gator softball yet and the day is almost over.

3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    They’re usually very timely with stuff like this.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I doubt Walton is going into the season with only 3 pitchers. Have yo imagine there will be more moves.

5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    While times have changed somewhat and it's not ideal, UF did win a national title in 2015 with only 3 pitchers - Haeger, Ocasio & Gourley. And in our 2014 title year Rogers, Haeger & Gourley threw all but 6 innings for the season. I do have to believe, though, that he'll be trying to get another pitcher or two, for sure.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Well, isn't this puff piece interesting. And, no, I don't buy a lot of it. Remember back several weeks when I posted that my engineering friend told me there was no way, at this late date, that Vawter would ever be accepted into grad school at Engineering Management? Well, she couldn't get into Stanford. Likely she couldn't get into UF. And claims Sports Management at USC is all she cares about and NIL had nothing to do with it. UF doesn't have better alternative programs than USC? Really? I also believe pigs fly and the moon is made out of swiss cheese. And the best....I have oceanfront property for sale in Nebraska if anyone is interested. Alana Vawter Dives Deep on Why She Left Stanford and Chose South Carolina

• Like Like x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They were not 3 freshmen and if you have an injury you are cooked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Why, in God's green earth, is a posting about an event relative to portal proceedings and posted in the portal thread "off topic"?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    I am a graduate of USC and I agree. Couldn’t get into Florida:/

• Like Like x 1
  10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Obviously, I don't know for sure. Especially why early on she couldn't get into Stanford, her current school. Not good. Perhaps her academics weren't up to par. I don't know that is the case. What I was told was if she wanted in with the grad Engineering Management program that there are very few openings in that and trying to get in at the last minute was impossible. For her or anyone. Plus, the engineering community would go ballistic if someone like Vawter was shoved in at the last minute just weeks before classes started over someone else qualified that was left out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    I did the research, tryouts are a regular softball event each year. Our pitching issues have made us fans more aware of the calendar; and for the first time that I could find, tryouts are position specific, pitchers and catchers. Usually, it’s a general tryout and fans don’t take notice.

12. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    I listened to the in the circle podcast about ehr transfer and she seems happy and is able to get 2 masters in 2 years at SC. Also I think she changed her mind on engineering she explains all that in the podcast about why she likes sport management and everything. She also wants to be a two way player.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. ahudson

ahudson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Olivia Miller, number 13 ranked recruit in 2023 class. Was committed to Ole Miss for nearly two years. We have our third pitcher!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    See post #1346 and forward.

15. ahudson

ahudson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I missed that … stupid me

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    It was such awesome news, I didn't mind hearing it again!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I just came back from a Diamond Club meeting.
    CTW was the only speaker.
    From his mouth to God's ears. Olivia Miller is officially signed!
    I asked him why no official edit had been posted. He gave a blank stare and then said he would check on it.
    He talked a lot about NIL. We can donate through FV and designate for softball. He said any little bit would help.
    He also asked us to keep negative comments from social media, as it hurts recruiting.
    He said to discuss it on message boards.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    I am currently a Home Run member, I’m planning to become a Grand Slam member. I live in Georgia, so how do I get summaries of when Tim speaks? I also plan to give directly to the softball scholarship fund and to FV Softball.

19. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    For those of us who live 770 miles away, could you summarize what he said? Did he say we lost portal chances due to NIL? Does he think SB is turning into a $$$ arms race?

Good to know that GatorCountry is not on the player's radar and we can be frank.

20. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Scrappy: So, she is signed, which she said on twitter (x, whatever) five days ago. Does that mean her having signed a NLI with Ole Miss has been fully resolved and she is eligible to play this year or is the possible NLI one year restriction still an issue? Some have speculated the tryout also has something to do with her and I could never understand why if she is already signed. Did he discuss the reason for the tryout?