Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Softball Fall Exhibition games

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by johnny_cakes, Oct 8, 2021.

1. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Starting in less than a week -- is this just open seating or are there tickets?

It will be interesting to see the newbies and transfers.

2. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    I believe open seating. The original announcement mentioned that I believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    looking forward to the Fall games on both Diamonds!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  6. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ll be there tomorrow. Fall ball games are 10 innings so it will be interesting to see the pitching rotation. Anxious to see touted freshman Lexie Delbrey.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  7. OKgator

OKgator Premium Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Will there be TV coverage or any video source of the exibition games?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  8. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    There has never been in the past. You can't even watch softball practicing without a drone camera. :(

9. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Impressive crowd. Many more than a midweek game during the season. This actually seems more than a weekend crowd durimg the season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    This year's signing class was only ranked #12 in the country, but it's mainly because we only signed 4. Delbrey was ranked the #7 player, catcher Cali Decker was in the Top 25 and SS Reagan Walsh was #44. The other signee, OF Kendra Falby, is on the Canadian U19 National Team. With all the returnees, plus all the pitchers, there should be a lot of competition for playing time. I look for Rylee Trlicek to make a major move in the circle. The starting lineup will be Adams at 2b, Echols at 3b, Wallace at ss, Cottrill at c, Lindsey in CF, Avery Goelz either at 1b of OF, maybe Emily Wilkie at 1b or DH and the the other OF slot and DH to be up for grabs between Goddard, Thomas, Buffano, Decker, Walsh and Falby. Not sure how Langley and Reis fit in, other than as pinch runners, as Walsh is supposed to be an excellent defender as well as a solid hitter and can play 2b and 3b in addition to ss. Last year was a disappointment, even though we won the regular season SEC title. I look for this team to be a good bit better in all areas.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    It seems like we have more speed/athleticism back on the field. Anybody who attended have any observations?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I thought Wallace was really outstanding. Without throwing any former players under the bus, what a major upgrade. Scary play with Regan Walsh -- I'm not sure she ever returned. Hope she's okay. I'm a very poor judge of pitchers, but Rylee Trlicek seemed to look good and maybe different mechanics? It almost seemed like her release point was somewhere near her ankle! I was hoping to see improvement from Hightower, but one outing does not a season make. Of course, it was worth the price of admission just to see her batt! Fall ball is so strange. Huge crowd -- not standing room only, but if a family of four came around the start time, they would not be able to find infield seats together.

Anyone else have some takeaways?

13. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Did we beat UCF?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Not funny if we lost. :cool:

15. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Sorry -- I thought you were trying to be funny. I don't think Fall ball is really about winning or losing, but we won both.... well I'm not sure what to call them ... sets? Five innings. Except for back-to-back homers off Hightower, I don't think UCF scored. She walked the batter immediately before the first homer.

Bailey Godard got much more playing time than I would have expected; maybe she has stepped up in practice. Interesting teachable moment when UCF had a hit to right field, we threw to first base, runner safe.

CTW ran out and barked at Julia Cottrill, who was lounging behind the plate rather than backing up first, "YOU BELONG DOWN THERE!" (pointing to first). He called a timeout for a mound conference which seemed to involve him talking to Cottrill, not the pitcher. Cottrill was pulled shortly thereafter, although that may have been pre-planned.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Five SB in ten innings -- hope that carries over to the regular season.

18. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    What happened with Walsh? And I think Rylees mechanics were a big reason for her limited innings so hopefully that has been addressed. I know they mentioned it last year. Also, how did Delbrey look?

19. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    You will definitely know when Delbrey is pitching. Remember Barnhill? Well Delbrey has a double Barnhill cadence going. I'm not exactly sure how she can grunt twice between the pitch and the ball crossing the plate, but somehow she does.

Again, very small sample size but she looked pretty good and seems to live in the lower half of the zone. While she had two strikeouts in her one inning pitched, that is a bit deceiving because she throws a lot of balls, also, and the counts were full and potentially could have gone either way.

Walsh was one of our FIVE stolen bases. She beat the throw by a mile and was literally standing vertical on the bag when the throw from the catcher clobbered her right in the face. She went down and stumbled around the outfield for awhile trying to regain herself but then was taken out of the game.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Thanks. Throwing a lot of balls but coming out on the right end more times than not definitely sounds like Barnhill her freshman year and interesting about the grunt.
    Hopefully Walsh is fine, but at least it’s not something potentially season ending like a knee which is what I was thinking.

• Informative Informative x 1