Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SOC) Soccer in hands of young leaders

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorbiz, Apr 11, 2022.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bohon is really good. I get the concern that she isn't at a big school, but she does have SEC and ACC experience. Know some that have played for her and she is very well thought of. Certainly not a splash hire, but I tend to think that's overrated

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    Now hearing that may be the coach.

3. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Hurrah or meh?

4. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    I truly hope I am wrong, and I am rooting for her to succeed, but this to me has mediocre middle-of-the-pack written all over it. And that would be a significant improvement over the last several years.

A quick look at her ERAU roster shows she goes hard on international player recruiting especially with the Scandinavian countries. That may be a path to getting this roster rapidly improved especially given the late start Bohon faces. The UF 2022 roster has been updated with the Bohon hiring. It sits with a grand total of 13 listed players down from 31 last Fall. Samantha has a lot of work ahead of her.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    I’m hearing that’s the case. She’s got more experience than Amato. Again though, I keep hearing the AD handling of Amato, etc scared away many bigger potential replacements.

6. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I’m just a casual soccer fan, but looks like she’s 43-28-10 over the last five years without much postseason success. I’m more of an optimistic type guy, but not much to get excited about here that I can see. Hopefully she’s a good recruiter because she’ll need to be, and fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    Given what happened with women's bb and soccer to me unless it was the former fsu coach it was going to be a female,just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bear in mind Embry transitioned from NAIA to D2 a few years back. That was a big transition AND the teams were ineligible for postseason play during the transition (2-3 years). Lot's of athletes didn't want to go somewhere that they were ineligible to play any postseason. It was very tough on all the coaches to recruit and motivate.
    Then,Embry put all their sports teams at a HUGE disadvantage by deciding not to play in 2020 due to covid. Canceled the entire athletic year. Lost tons of recruits and transfers out.
    Also a difficult academic route, not a slam dunk to get in or stay eligible.
    It's not the easiest coaching gig out there.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    Remember, Becky came from a d2 school,did ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, that doesn't bother me at all. From Florida, played at Duke, recruiting coord at UT, national team, coach in Florida for a long time. Checks a lot of boxes

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Freshman

Oct 10, 2008
    Very underwhelming hire. Man, SS …which his hires.

I really hope this one, bb, and women’s basketball succeed.

13. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah, another 'maybe could be' coach.

Wonder if UF even considered Krikorian.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorWon

GatorWon GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I had no idea that she was Samantha Baggett, but that’s a name that rings a bell in Florida High School sports lore.

This was probably the one and only time that I would have been excited about hiring scraps from the Semis. But, I’ll be cheering for her and the Lady Gators to turn this mess around.