Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SOC) Soccer in hands of young leaders

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorbiz, Apr 11, 2022.

1. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Think it's worse than that, been a while now since we've won combined. Arkansas won it last year. Not sure there was one for 2019-2020 due to Covid, and A&M won 2018-2019.

2. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    I am not comparing the ADs coaching hire resumes as clearly even though Foley had his share of misses he certainly wins that current debate. And it is not clear Stricklin will ultimately survive this debacle but I bet he is given a couple years to see how the latest hires play out. BTW, here is Foley's baseball stadium recommendation he left for his successor a month and a half before handing over the reigns:
    Florida unveils $100 million facility upgrades initiative - Alligator Army

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    In fairness to Foley, Stricklin also came into an environment where the new president and BOT were much more willing to take on additional financing to pay for enhancements. They finally realized we couldn't keep the $100 million cap and expect to compete in the new world of college athletics. There were a number of plans that Foley wanted that had to be dialed back or cancelled for financial reasons.

4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    fsir enough, and I really wasn’t trying to compare the 2. Only making the point that the number of things he has gotten right from the time he was hired are vastly outweighed (IMO) by what he got wrong. And even if I were to give him the benefit of the doubt on all the facilities, it doesn’t mean squat if he has no clue how to effectively run an organization - which is why I was posting the results, they just aren’t up to par. It’s like Ray Goff or Ron Goff - recruiting doesn’t mean diddly if you can’t coach.
    As for his status, I honestly wonder whether this does him in. I would bet the Cam thing nearly did, how can you even begin to rationalize 2 hires for women’s sports where you hire men with no clue how to talk to or work with women? In today’s climate it’s beyond inexcusable.

5. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    I don't disagree. Given the Neubauer and now Amato nonsense almost certainly his next soccer HC will be a woman. Think a Kia McNeil type hiring assuming she can see past the current mess and see the potential for future success that UF can bring if led properly.

6. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    Sad part for Amato is that the remaining players for the most part like him and support the staff. The girls that went portal had woke culture come out and they went all out revolt against Tony in exit interviews and newspaper articles.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    She was mentioned last year many times but seemed she didn’t want to leave the Northeast. That would be a good hire. Like UCF coach as well.

8. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Bingo. Abusive behavior by two men who coach women. It means he is either a very poor judge of character, or didn’t bother to judge character at all.

Seems like that is the sword Stricklin will fall on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 352Fella

352Fella GC Legend

Jan 30, 2008
    East Gainesville
    What, exactly, is woke culture?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    13 players decided to not come back, which is equivalent to about 35 or so in football. It clearly seems to go deeper than “woke culture”. And even Amato had to have the common sense to understand that even if what you say were true, given what happened with Cam, the university was going to be at a zero tolerance stance. So he’s not terribly smart if nothing else.

(SOC) - Soccer in hands of young leaders

• Like Like x 2
  11. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds to me that Amato, in a sport that requires a very high level of conditioning, was fired because he was pushing several girls on a bad team to get into better physical shape.

Not sure that is asking too much of any DI scholarship athlete but in today’s climate, I guess it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Gator Mike

Gator Mike All American

Apr 10, 2007
    There's pushing athletes to get in better physical shape, and then there's creating a culture where weight and diet become so important that multiple players develop eating disorders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    He clearly didn’t help himself in this situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    SS needs to upgrade his due diligence this time and hire an accomplished female coach.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    IMO, UF soccer has fielded less capable players than other SEC teams for the past several years. The 2021 team was just plain ol' slowww, and it showed in the record. TBH, a wholesale flushing of the roster was exactly what was needed. The fact that the outgoing players could get the coach fired says more about Stricklin than Amato.

16. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Our talent is at best subpar for a program like ours. And yes the match was already lit with the Newbauer situation. If not for that previous fumbling of a coaching hire by Stricklin, Amato survives this.

Go big or go home. Offer Krikorkian whatever the hell he wants.

17. angywall

angywall Recruit

May 11, 2022
    The transfer market has been slow to develop over the past few years. Still, when the NCAA changed its rules last summer to allow players to transfer (once) without sitting out the season, the door to the portal was wide open, making spring training something of a subtle dance between coaches, pushing players to improve without pushing them out the door and into the portal. Got an opening to fill? Coaches can dip into the transfer market to find replacements.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  18. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    Tomorrow is the day. Hearing some well established names and some underwhelming names. My guess is it will be an underwhelming hire as SS handling of Amato pushed some good ones away.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    Yeah, apparently there is a belief out there it is the coach at Div. 2 Embry Riddle. Yes, she has done a marvelous job at that school and if it in fact is her she may eventually turn out to be a great hire. However, UF should not be in a position where it is "reaching" for candidates with potential upside when there is likely little chance peer Division 1 programs with resources would do the same. And again, if this is actually the direction Stricklin is going we either so underwhelmed in salary commitment and/or he so bungled the Burleigh replacement no top flight candidates want anything to do with a program that otherwise has no reason not to thrive at the highest level. I remember about this time last year McAlpine was a serious candidate for UF until he wasn't. Here we are today and he is the new coach at UGA. Not a good look if this hire comes to pass.

20. gatorbiz

gatorbiz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    McAlpine was all in but couldn’t get one item he wanted for the team. Ironically that was a budget item for mental health. By the time he moved on it was so late in process that others wouldn’t entertain. And here we are again. Hearing same “rumor” on Embry Riddle coach but also hearing that’s false. So we shall see.

• Informative Informative x 1