Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So where is Hunter Biden?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Back in the 60s my dad's company had 2 ex governors and a US Senator on their board of directors. I could tell stories of the benefits of having political connections.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    No sir. If you go back to the thread on the whistleblower, you will see that I posted information form 2016 relating to the firing of the prosecutor in Ukraine. The information was from worldwide news sources, not just a New York Times article. It was world wide news because the IMF, EU and US had all threatened to cut Ukraine off if the prosecutor wasn’t fired. This included a Ukrainian source that was born of the revolution against the Russian backed government. Easy to find with a few minutes of google research and even easier to find here by reading the threads. Trump counts on low information people who will not take the time to learn fact. While you post your tiresome “both teams argument,” you, like most of his supporters, choose to ignore the body of history that was contemporary with his firing. And, you assume that Hunter Biden was bored with corrupt intent and that Joe Biden was corrupt because his some was hired. I am guessing that he couldn’t serve on the board of a aid corporation either because Biden was VP of the United States. Last I heard, serving on a corporate board was not a crime. The prosecutor who replaced Shotkin has already said that there was no violation of Ukrainian law by either Biden.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    No. It is not. But, please post the facts that this is why and how Hunter Biden got the seat on the board. And the facts that make this against Ukrainian law, which is what Trump asked the Ukrainians to investigate. Because US investigations are not run by Ukrainians. They didn’t want an investigation. They wanted the announcement that was being negotiated by Sonderlan and Volker. Trump wanted his “favor.” They ant the investigation of the supposed missing server. This was about legitimizing nonsense.

4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Then please point to facts and law. Other than your opinion. Because I have done it repeatedly in the threads on this subject. Try reading the thread on the firing of the prosecutor. And it isn’t illegal for the son of a VP to serve on a corporate board. Point to an act undertaken by Joe Biden in Ukraine as a result of Hunter Biden being on the board that was the result of corrupt intent. And bear in mind they the Trump Administration has the entire apparatus of the federal government and he had to ask Ukraine for a favor. Be my guest.

5. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Again, I never suggested this wasn't legal, nor do I buy for a second Trump is concerned about corruption. But the guy does have an instinct for knowing how to deflect from his own misdeeds by accusing other people of the same stuff, that's basically how he beat Clinton. And there's at least an appearance of trading on your connections here, which they will exploit. This is the sort of stuff that wont go away in an election, and why Biden is an exceptionally weak candidate. The best case is that its just legal nepotism by the well connected, which still isn't a good look!

6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Is something that is perfectly legal but questionable ethically something that fits the definition of corruption? It's a rhetorical question that has no one, definitive answer.

As a private citizen, Hunter Biden was legally free to sit on the board of any foreign company. There's no law in the US, and I doubt there is one in Ukraine, that says the private citizen child of an American elected politician can't sit on a company's board. Was it ethical? Certainly, if someone with the same resume as H. Biden was named H. Smith, he would not have been put on the board and given a $50k/month salary. And sure, the Ukraine company was attempting to garner favor by placing H. Biden on its board. But if both Bidens never used their respective positions to do anything illegal, then we're back to the original question. Is something legal but questionably ethical considered corruption?

Now, let's look at this through H. Biden's position. If someone offered you $600,000 a year to do sit on a company's board because your fathers is the Vice President, do you turn down the money? Again, it's perfectly legal, though Hunter had to know that the only reason he was getting the gig was because of his last name. Still, if you are confident you won't break any laws, do you turn down the job? If you said yes, then I can say this about you. You are either 1) already independently wealthy and $600,000 a year won't move you. Or 2) you're a better man than me.

7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

I'm so sick of the stupidity going on in this country, especially Washington, that I haven't really paid attention to this Hunter Biden drama. What is it that he did exactly?

8. wgbgator

Basically the way the law works now unless their is an explicit quid pro quo, it isn't. It's exceedingly difficult to convict a politician of corruption, and when they do, higher courts have often thrown out the convictions, like with Bob McDonnell. Basically, you have to be Corrine Brown and do fraud to get convicted of "corruption" these days.

9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm willing to concede that Hunter Biden was offered the position on the Board of Burisma for political reasons and that it certainly has the appearance of impropriety. Since there seems to so much concern that Biden acted improperly, links to articles citing actual examples of influence peddling by Biden would be appreciated. I would also assume that if anyone is concerned with Biden's position they are even more concerned with membership in Mar a Lago or any one of the other Trump clubs by individuals or organizations that have a significant financial interest in federal government policy as well as any parties, both foreign and domestic having an interest in government policy renting rooms or otherwise patronizing any of the Trump hotels. How about Trump directly soliciting Doral for next year's G7 conference? Unless one is willing to object to the previously cited examples as well as other conflicts of interest involving the Donald and/or his children and their spouses they should shut the hell up about Hunter Biden.

10. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There's another angle to this too. It's not that Joe Biden "set up" Hunter Biden, it's that folks who want to try to curry favor with people in political power target their relatives or associates. No doubt Burisma was willing to put the troubled Biden on their board because Joe Biden was VP. It didn't take any effort on JB's behalf. Same with why countries and biz have family guest speak for large sums of money or why they contribute to foundations, and why the hire folks for jobs at media organizations or any other biz.

It's an effort to get to those in power, even if not directly. It often doesn't involve any quid pro quo at all/any involvement with the person in power. There need not be.
    It looks like (moral) corruption and in some ways it is--especially when the person isn't qualified for whatever position they get--but it's also often not illegal.

11. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    What Biden did in the Ukraine is chump change compared to China. China is resisting investigations in a major way.

12. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    This is where we disagree. Hunter Biden being paid to be on a board when his dad was v is corrupt. Trump and his family take corruption to a whole nother level, but Biden is a sleaze ball. He does not become a non sleaze ball by not being as sleazy as Trump. I am tired of choosing between the lesser of two evils. Kick out Biden from the race, and have trump lose the election. I would say go ahead and impeach him but pence scares me twice as much as Trump does.

13. wgbgator

Something tells me this is even further in the recesses of the fever swamps

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Yeah, nothing suspicious about Ivanka getting some patents in China...

15. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Biden can't be kicked out from the race simply because his adult son got a board position. It's doubtful that Joe Biden did a single thing...other than that he was VP at the time and the powers that be at Burisma sought HB as a possible way to protect them, influence the US.

16. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't think Hunter Biden serving on a board is "corruption" by itself. Don't you think someone actually has to show he did something wrong, first? Sure, he probably got the job in part because of his last name, but if that is corruption, then you pretty much have to say that all family members of the upper administrative branch office holders aren't allowed to have good paying jobs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Put yourself in Hunter Biden's position? Do you turn down $600,000 a year job because your father is the VP, and your position might be considered unethical? Even though you would be breaking no laws by accepting the board position?

Hunter Biden was and still is a private citizen. There are no laws against him working any job. Yes, he got the board position because of his last name, but that alone isn't corruption. It's just the privilege the rich and powerful have by being rich and powerful.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Whatever Biden may have done in China is really chump change compared to what Trump has done since won the election (and that's even before he actually took office). Speaking of China there is this Trump project that received Chinese financing although over a year after the story broke the Chinese financing was cancelled. And then there are Ivanka's Chinese trademarks.
    Trump Indonesia Real Estate Project Gets Chinese Government Ally
    Ivanka Trump’s Brand Received Five New Trademarks From China This Month

19. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    600k for sitting on a board isn't what all kids get. I am fine with arresting everyone for corruption.

20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    China, not Ukraine