Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So Whats Next

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 29, 2024.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I am. :)

2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Our Offense scored less than 20ppg against defenses ranked in the Top 30. 

Not our biggest problem but when you look deeper at the stats offense struggled against decent to good teams.

Well, here's the problem most teams on our schedule are decent to good.

O Line has to be much better this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Senior

Jan 11, 2015
    Exactly….I think data is a great tool but a data set doesn’t necessarily tell a story when it comes to team sports. Maybe free throws in basketball are the outlier.

RE quarterbacks, you need some context relative to other position groups. It’s not like the QBs are standing there throwing at targets, not worrying about getting steamrolled by opposing D-lines.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    For me, I also look at the eye test. At no point did a feel confident that our offense could just go up and down the field and score at will or when needed. Most drives seemed like a struggle. With spurrier offense- never felt that way. Nor with Trask at QB. Lincoln Riley offenses must give their fans confidence they can score at any time. Same for Georgia and Oregon and some other dynamic offenses.

when watching Florida, I have little hope we can pick up 3rd and long. It seems daunting. Get a procedure penalty, it is basically a death nell for a drive. I can’t remember how many times under spurrier we had a TD called back (often on a bogus call) and then 1 play later we score again no matter how many yards they sent us back. Game has changed since Spurriers day but still are offenses out there that 3rd and longs and holding calls don’t end drives- so to me, regardless of any stats, watching a Florida offense it seems far from and ideal or successful offense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  5. cyberdyne

cyberdyne GC Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Lost your modship?!?

6. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No. Wrong ETGator1.

7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Great post. Exactly and sometimes you have to look deeper into the data as with last year’s offense. A deeper dive shows what we knew….against good defenses we flat struggled scoring:

Yep we averaged 15 points a game vs decent to good defenses. At least 2 of those games you would have expected a good solid offense to score over 20 points.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    OL

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Can't disagree Spike but considered another way, the good ship UF sprang three leaks.
    The offense: 1 meter hole
    The Special teams: 2 meter hole
    Defense: 3 meter hole

So which hole do you fix first? The big one or the smallest?

Obviously the scenerio for UF is much more complex but I do agree with those that suggest the most important fixes, in order are:
    Defense
    Special Teams
    Offense

Like Shane Matthews said, so you are sitting on the hot seat, whom do YOU trust to run the offense? Yourself, or someone else?
    My assumption is Napier will be calling the plays. Perhaps he should, we are all in with this guy, after two years of sub 500 ball
    perhaps it is fitting Napier does call the plays. At least he will sink or swim on his merits.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    He might have wanted to hire someone and couldn't or the right guy was not available.

But he's probably smart enough to know he has to fix the defense above all else. And the Oline. S&C. Special teams. Add Offensive talent. Build quality depth....
    Then we're humming.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    More context is needed than that. Also, wondering, is scoring less against the top defences a UF or football thing?

11 against Utah was bad. Poor start to the year. I thought the offense grew after that game.

14 against UK was the most frustrating for me. Couldn't run in that one

20 points against Georgia wasn't a struggle. It was average.

Are you really gonna just put down "15" for FSU and call that a "a deeper dive"? UF played with their 3rd string QB and 2nd/3rd team OTs. Is that an outlier or is that how UF is gonna roll in 2024?

The offense and passing game needs to be better in 2024. I don't know of anyone suggesting otherwise, so I'm missing the point here.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Specifically, it was a big OT problem. This has been discussed in a GC article and in 5 or 6 OL explicit threads in the last six weeks. Looking for a significant upgrade there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    it definitely takes a complete system from top to bottom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Now that’s a pretty realistic look at what went on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It doesn’t take a deep dive to watch film of our tackles, getting completely destroyed and leaving no pocket for Mertz to work with. Our offense wasn’t terrible by any means, and I’d say they did pretty decent overall, considering the line they were working with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    What is the good play to call when you know the edge rusher is going to throw your defensive tackle at your quarterback in two seconds

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Donzo has already done a good job of taking this apart, but the irony of claiming a "deeper dive" and then going more shallow is too ironic.
    UF had almost 80 yards more than Utah, the scoring was impacted by Utah early lead and UF going for too many 4th downs. Not a great performance, but somewhat skewed by many of the factors already mentioned.
    The deep dive for FSU is simply looking at the missing offensive players.
    The deep dive for UGA is mixed success vs the most elite defense any college team is going to put on the field. UF had more yards and points than UGA allowed on average all season

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    "Time-Out"? ..... lol

Yeah, the offense was frustrating too. Between false starts, sacks, failed conversions, no question the offense struggled. But it struggled the "least" when compared with defense and special teams. IMO of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Exactly, if they could block an edge, the playcalling may look quite a bit different.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

We have an "edgy" problem Wanne! Can't block the other guys edges and on defense our "edges" were the equal of very dull knives!
    If UF does not block the edge pressure of our opponents and does not pressure the opposing QB's with ours, next campaign will be a very long season indeed!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1