Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So Whats Next

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The last one might be getting in trouble for doing exactly what they’re supposed to do

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    I'm not so sure he has to hire an OC if the defense plays better. Of course, nothing indicates yet that the defense will be better! I think you would probably agree, the OC would allow him to focus on the entire team more. I don’t know why he is reluctant to hire an OC, unless it's ego?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. pigpen

pigpen All American

Aug 30, 2023
    I think he believes he's as good an OC as he could get.
    I like our offense, better D and the O will get more series.
    Think D and ST are bigger problem

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Remember, next year when we are behind, and we are running first and second down, telling the defense we are going to now be aggressive and pass, of course on third down. Here comes the blitzes. Ultimately, then running on fourth down and still not getting a first down. This kind of offense went out with Knute Rockne. But hey, we just lost another close game. To you another chance to say we are getting better and to keep beating our heads against the wall. Even Saban knew if he didn’t get downfield and know how to score he was going to be passed by. A tough schedule and we need every upgrade in every phase, to not do so is not giving a good analysis of what we have shown the last two years. Lose to Miami to open the season when we can’t score enough, will be a tell tale sign. We aren’t exciting on offense and another year of Doug Dickey football makes me feel we are going to lose support from fans and students. Quit selling Billy’s narrative. Another losing season will you still do this?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    • Agree x 3
    • Come On Man x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Hope you like bacon..totally agree though. So some think he doesnt need an OC...OK have you ever watched his two minute come from behind offense? He cant get the play ran and the ball is snapped with less than 5 seconds left. Use of the final two minutes of the first half...non existent every damn game. Third quarter offense unadapted to the events of the first half and we go full dead upside down turtle ball if we get up 3 points to the point we suddenly begin getting steamrolled as a result. If thats not bad enough for an offensive coordinator wait till we try to execute a trick play or even worse the extra slow developing double reverse flea flicker into an oncoming rush to "change the game" which it did. Some really really bad stuff we saw uncorrected again year two on offense last year. He isnt the guy who should be calling the offense...Id love to see it with my Gator glasses on and I could make a bunch of excuses in year one but last year was the same stuff part 2 and you cant just say it was worthy of top 10 caliber Gator football.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well... their NIL outbid our NIL at the last minute, otherwise we would have heard something much sooner in these last minute flips.

7. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Pensacola
    I'm hoping for a 7-5 kind of year, with our schedule. If we can accomplish that I’d be stoked.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. drcgator

drcgator Junior

Nov 19, 2017
    Just my opinion of course, but Billy just seems to get stuck in trying to out-deceive the defense and then he seems to calculate that risk does not outweigh benefit. He seems very risk averse. So the combination makes for a majority of play calls that are meant not to cost us the game and then he gets awkwardly risky at the worst time. We only seem to be in a flow with the first drive of a game. The whole thing seems weird to me and we leave a lot of points on the field.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    What you described is factually incorrect. Mertz threw 358 passes last year, including over 39 passes a game hist last five starts before his injury at Missouri. But, hey, don’t let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Blows me away how often I read things that are just patently incorrect but some just assume and accept as accurate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    ok we get it, our NIL sucks.

still isn’t a reflection on Napier as a recruiter

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Playing catch-up after we ran ourselves out of most games, so what, over half of those were behind the line of scrimmage, whew hoo! That’s playing scared.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I presume you have no interest at looking at Actual stats? Mertz threw 2 less TD's than Texas's Quinn Ewers (20 to 22) and Ewers played more games. Shit, Texas's offense it self in the regular season only scored 2 more TD's than UF's offense (41 to 43) so statistically speaking the (playoff team) Texas offense scored .16 more TD's per game over a 12 game span, than UF. That's right .16 (point one six) but yet I don't see you trashing their offense? Our QB threw only 2 Td's less than their "highly touted" QB in less games. Probably would have thrown more had he played equal amount of games. You are letting the perception Our shitty defense has caused to warp the reality of our actual offense. Could it have been better? Absolutely just as 99% of the teams can be better. A better defense would have made that a reality.

But then again here I go with these silly statistics instead of just listening to sour grapes by people who are too lazy to seek the truth. Carry on

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Yeah, CBN can absolutely recruit. Almost feel like he is having this recruiting success with one hand tied behind his back. Let us start adding W's to the win column and watch out.

Just think, CBN just signed the highest rated QB UF has ever had on the heels of 3 losing seasons. And that's not taking in to account 2 5 stars (2 of the top 6 players in the country) in one class. Who was the last coach to do that? Meyer? And that was After winning 2 Natty's in 3 years and having a Heisman trophy winner at QB.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Our nil is better than most I guess.

16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

That is correct,
    and I never said otherwise... That's for the haters out there. Not me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think we simply have to be content with a top 5 public university and an above average sports program. If LSU is paying over a million dollars a year to their ladies basketball coach and $2.5 million to their DC, it will be difficult to compete with some programs. The same holds true in NIL. Our NIL is half that of Texas. Just something to get used to. Balance of power has shifted to programs with billion dollar boosters. Does not mean we can’t enjoy our teams. I think it does mean we need to lower our expectations for recruiting. A top 15 class is wonderful. We could win a championship in football again but much harder to stay at top without NIL, ….any longer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Is it top 15?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    And it’s always the hyper negative views that are so ignorant.

I’ll just stop there- :emoji_sunglasses:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    So you think by simply looking at a TDs comparison, is the slam dunk you needed to settle this? I suggest you take a look at will miles most recent article on this very subject

The Mertz Conundrum - Read & Reaction