Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what are you up to, nbn...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I’m down to the last 5 episodes (you have to go to Pop TV for the last season). Am I wrong, but doesn’t David’s boyfriend sort of look like Mike White?

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Love that show. It takes a while to get into it.

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am thinking about watching Twin Peaks again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Thanks for the spoiler.

5. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Boardwalk Empire is the American version of Peaky Blinders and is definitely worth watching.

Has anyone watched Money Heist on Netflix?

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  6. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Most of the golf courses and driving ranges are still closed here. I am in socially distant therapy!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Check out Fauda on Netflix. It’s spectacular if you watch it with the actual Hebrew/Arabic dialogue. Don’t watch it with the English dubbing. Instead, put on the English closed captions at the bottom of the screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I agree with you, I'm not a fan of dubbing either. I watch in whatever the native language is and turn on the subs. Most times in dubbing, you lose inflection and subtle voice changes and pauses that really set the tone.

9. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    On most BBC shows, even though they're allegedly speaking English, I end up turning on the subtitles. I had to do this with Peaky Blinders right away to understand what was going on. Serious question: why do Brits speak with marbles in their mouths?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If you think British are difficult, consider the Scots . . .

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Finished up Season 2 of Star Trek Discovery and Season 1 of Picard with a month of free CBS All Access. Loved the addition of Pike and a revisit the to Talos 4 in Discovery. Catching MST3K on Sundays.

12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

After watching a program for a while, I can often develop an "ear" for it. But, it seems like I have to start that process over for any new show I watch with British, Scottish, Irish, etc. accents involved.

Reminds me of a UF professor who was from China who I had back in the early 80's for a couple of engineering classes (I believe Dynamics was one of the classes, for any of you engineering students). It took me a while (and a lot of concentration) to master his "twist" on a lot of different words. But, once I got those down, I found he was a very good teacher in explaining things in a clear way. A lot of students around me gave up, and I assume many dropped the courses to get another teacher. I'm glad i stuck it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes on Money Heist!! Loved it!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably one of of colleagues in what was then called the Engineering Sciences department. I was just starting out then.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    My yard waste pick up people must hate it now. I've sawed off way too many palm related species in my yard, I really don't have a "big" yard. My wife has planted or brought stuff stuff from KW for years now and unfortunately, that 1ft tree or small sized seed has gone off.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    I should say trimmed, not sawed off. So, my nightmare will continue

17. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

There were a lot of talented instructors. I was impressed by the myriad and creative ways they came up with statics and dynamics problems for the exams. It was kind of a puzzle to figure out how they were asking about some of the methods of calculation we were learning, and to ignore parts of the question that had nothing to do with answering the question. Somewhat devious! :cool:

I recall there was one instructor who had an impressive background in aeronautical engineering. There was another guy who I think his name started with Eisen-(berg or something) who I believe I had for a Materials course (Strength of Materials?) who was also writing a textbook at the time.

Maybe he wasn't in your area, but do you recall a Professor Boda from Eastern Europe (with a heavy accent) who would tell us in Stress Analysis that we should know the answer to many of our questions "intuitively"? That was one course where my penchant for procrastination (not studying for big exams/finals until the night before) finally bit me and I got my only career "D", which required me to take the course again. :(. I had something like 6 or 7 chapters and problems to get through the night before the exam. I didn't get to the last chapter, and all the chapters built on each other. So, without the last chapter, I couldn't really answer any of the problems completely. It was like a pick-6 that I couldn't recover from. I bet Boda relished catching students that blew it in that way! :eek::D:mad:;):):):cool:

18. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    So far in isolation I have watched:

Black Mirror (the best thing I've seen in years)
    Peaky Blinders (awesome)
    Boardwalk Empire (awesome)
    Broadchurch (very, very good)
    Ozark (very, very good)
    Tiger King (good in a weird way)
    Trailer Park Boys (goofy as hell, but satisfying; I can only watch 2-3 episodes at a time)

I am now bingeing Money Heist (so far has been very, very good)

19. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I highly recommend the BBC's Sherlock, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
    I avoided it for a couple of years because I've always liked the Sherlock Holmes character, and the last thing I wanted to see was an updated Holmes in modern-day England. I was an idiot. It's seriously one of the best series I've seen. The gist of the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories is maintained, but with some great 21st century twists.

Each of the seasons is only a handful of episodes, but each episode is like a feature-length movie.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Hans von Ohian used to come to UF in the Spring and teach the first half of the aero propulsion course. He did have impressive background. He was the co-inventor of the jet engine. Later on Norm Cotter would come up once a week to teach aero propulsion. He was the lead engineer at Pratt & Whitney.

Marty Eisenberg was writing his Mechanics of Materials book back then. He later became department chair.

Knox Millsaps was notorious for his statics instruction. He was quite the Renaissance Man, and I don't mean that he went to those Faires. His undergrad degree was in English Lit from Auburn. Then he went to Cal Tech. He wanted to go to LA because he could get recording work as a session drummer.

I don't recall Boda. It must have been before my time. Or in Civil.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1