Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Not when the law on its face is directly contrary to Florida Supreme Court precedent. It is absurd to presume that a a facially illegal law and have to wait until an appellate court declared it illegal again. Because the legislature could just keep passing the same illegal law and governing the state in that presumption, thereby depriving customers if their rights de facto.

• Like Like x 1
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It isn’t a federally enforced right, so section 1983 would not be an issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    For a law that does not currently exist? It's my understanding the prosecutor said he would not prosecute violators of a law not yet on the books. The suspension is real - the violation of his oath of office (your view) is theoretical. Or am I missing something?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's not forget the other way that Andrew Warren was offending the Governor through neglect of office, requiring immediate action.

If you are wondering why everything was so hastily put together and why Warren was removed by a Sheriff's Deputy, it was because he had a press conference scheduled that afternoon to announce indictments for 1983 rape and murders and the the exoneration of the wrongly convicted black men by his predecessor.

There's a reason he was replaced by was replaced by and sworn in by one of Ober's deputies. Nothing offends the criminal justice system like actual justice, especially for the marginalized. Can't have that, and arguably it's acting unconstitutionally. The USSC has ruled that innocence is irrelevant and not a reason for post-conviction review. And DeSantis has made clear that such actions are inconsistent with his views as to the purpose of the criminal justice system.

Thursday was poised to be an exceptional day in the career of Hillsborough County State Attorney Andrew Warren.

He was set to announce a major break in a high-profile investigation: Based on DNA evidence that had been uncovered by Warren’s office, two men were being indicted in the unsolved cases of two women who had been raped and murdered in 1983.

The story had another layer of intrigue: Warren’s predecessor, Mark Ober, had personally prosecuted an innocent man in one of the murders. That man, Robert Duboise, was wrongfully convicted and served 37 years in prison before Warren’s office exonerated him in 2020. Warren, a reform-minded Democrat, in 2016 had shocked the local legal community when he defeated Ober, a Republican.

The announcement Thursday would not only remind the public that a conviction review unit created by Warren had freed the wrongly imprisoned man; but also cast him as a dogged crime-fighter who had finally brought the two real killers closer to justice.

It was supposed to be a triumphant day for Andrew Warren. Then he got taken out.

• Informative Informative x 6
  6. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    HB5 and the non-violent felony policy are both quite real and rely on current Florida law. The other joint letter concerning gender conforming treatment for minors is the only one of the three cited that isn’t a refusal to enforce aspects of existing Florida law.

7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Desantis is more and more striking me as a potential Victor Orban. At first I thought maybe some of his stuff was just Schtick. But given the pettiness of some of it I think it is at least somewhat real.

lt is interesting seeing some traditional republicans and even some libertarians line up behind him. Like Trump 6 years ago I think they are in denial of what he really is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    If no one has been arrested is there anything to prosecute?

This whole thing is the typical BS DeSantis theater and you know it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SLOgator

SLOgator Speaks of the pompatice of love Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    He is exactly what you see, no bullshit!
    Like most of adults over the age of thirty, he represents family values, faith for those that seek it and a no nonsense adherence to the Constitution.
    He also brings a more acceptable approach than Pres. Trump that, in the end, will win over most Republicans, many Independents and more Dems than will admit.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The unfortunate thing is that the least qualified and most political group of judges to grace the Florida Supreme Court in my lifetime, are going to rubber stamp the State’s abortion law.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Not sure why people keep trying to compare trump and DeSantis. I guess it’s just a lazy argument. Trump is stupid, rude and overall a bad person. DeSantis is none of those things. Super lazy argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Is that why he keeps doing things that violate the Constitution?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'm speaking more generally than this particular case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Based on what I have seen of DeSantis, he is not stupid, but he clearly is rude and a bad person.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Drop the "nonsense," and you're actually right. DeSantis has repeatedly championed unconstitutional laws. He has been so brazen about it that even Trump judges are ruling against him.
    Federal judge rules Florida's 'anti-riot' law is unconstitutional
    Federal judge blocks Florida's social media law
    A federal judge has blocked a Florida law that limits contributions for ballot initiatives

Those are three laws that infringe on free speech rights just from the 2021 session. The 2022 session will result in even more laws being struck down as unconstitutional attacks on free speech. Let's see:
    1. HB7 (so-called Stop W.O.K.E. Act) - Will be struck down for violating free speech. Even conservative groups like FIRE are calling it unconstitutional.
    FIRE calls on Florida institutions and faculty to push back against unconstitutional ‘Stop WOKE Act’ — and, if necessary, to ignore it entirely
    2. New citizen's ballot initiative cap - They passed another law on this after a Trump appointee struck down the law last year. This one is just as unconstitutional.

There are a handful of other laws that are clearly unconstitutional (ex. DeSantis's racist gerrymander and the 15-week abortion ban), but DeSantis now has appointed the majority of the Florida Supreme Court, so I expect them to change the law rather than run afoul of their political benefactor. The Don't Say Gay Bill is also constitutionally problematic, but it's a closer call on whether it's unconstitutionally vague (I'd say yes). That's also not including DeSantis and his cronies retaliating against Disney for the company's political speech.

God help us if people think Ron DeSantis adheres to the Constitution. Gotta be living under a rock.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    He ought to start posting on too hot then. He would fit right in.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They know what he is and know that they need to be like him and support him and these policies to survive in the GOP. Don’t think they are fooled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Hard to say people don't know what he really is at this point. As best I can tell, they know what he is and like it, just like with Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope. He just calls it like he sees it.

20. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    So if you call it like you see it, you must not be rude and a bad person. I didn’t know that. Thanks for the education.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.