Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So, could this mean tides are turning?!

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by pd_gator, Mar 17, 2018.

1. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    ,Did you bring the beer?

2. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Maybe your kids guidance counselor was great, maybe not. I have found most to have plenty of biases like the rest of us. My HS counselor was worthless, cost me a merit scholarship.. My son was a valedictorian at a Catholic HS and the counselors kept trying to push him and other top students out of state to ND, BC and other schools that were at best equal to UF academically. We had no problems at all getting admissions info from UF. He smartly made his own decision and never considered those schools. He was ultimately very happy with his decision since he changed his major several times, which can be problematic at smaller schools with a limited curriculum.

3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Well of course I did young man.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    This^^^

5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I keep waiting for the tides to turn and nothing but BS. Maybe @pd_gator would like to delete the whole thing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    ^ Ha. Truth.

7. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Yes, gtr2x, this is a built in problem with HUMAN Beings. This is one reason I conducted vast historical empirical research regarding which prospects were most likely to succeed (from a University's perspective = earn a degree) and which were't. Working with our Admissions Czar LeEllen Brigman and I ended up creating an Admissions Grid that has raised USF's full-time Frosh 6yr Graduation rate from below 50% to 70% for the most recent 6yrs. An efficient brochure was shared with all Florida Counselors and others and posted on USF's Web site, which meant that kids could see what the decisions were based upon and target their HS actions for admission. Unfortunately, this has since evolved into a far more complex and considerably less intuitive form since I retired 5 years ago, but I'm assuming the simple grid brochure is still sent to Counselors. Test scores were unfortunately included despite my insistence that the only time they were worthwhile was when looking at a prospect with below a 2.5 HS GPA.

Interestingly, for Transfer students (CC, College, Tech School), the percentage of courses they dropped proved to be one of the Best Indicators of how well they would perform at USF. Those who drop courses tend to lack the sticktuitiveness that gets one through the College GRIND. This happens less often in HS, but it's also indicative there.

By the way, Notre Dame's 6yr FT Frosh Grad rate is usually around 95-97%. And Catholic High Schools almost double the number of Ph.D.s per 100 graduates of regular HS and roughly quadruple the number from Christian HSs. Belief is the mind killer, and, as one former Jesuit Seminary student noted to me: "How can you possibly keep believing after what they show you in Seminary School?" Very good question that.

8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Our counselor was amazing and showed no bias at all. He had each of my twins looking at an entirely different group of schools. His depth of knowledge about US colleges was endless. He also had a lot of insight regarding financial aid. (FWIW, he had a masters in clinical social work from Northwestern.)

The problem we had with UF was that there was little recent history with their high school so no year-to-year relationship. It didn't help that there's not much awareness of UF up here outside of sports. What little raw data he had wasn't encouraging. It looked to him like UF's academic reputation lagged behind their admission standards. He also thought it was too big. When we were whittling down our final list, he didn't see a compelling reason to choose UF over Wisconsin or Michigan for my daughter, or Illinois for my son. In the end we scratched all the schools that were more than a six hour drive unless there were direct flights.

9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We have friends in Florida whose son goes to Michigan. The thing they were unaware of was that Michigan requires payment for tuition, fees, ... in cash. They do not accept credit cards

When we were looking for our daughter, we spent quite a bit of time discussing the AP and dual enrollment courses the college would accept. Some of the private out of State colleges accepted very few HS credits, whereas UF accepted all of them. As a result, my daughter was a junior after one semester. This was a $50,000 plus savings by comparison

Told my daughter to go UF undergrad and spend money on grad school, as unless IVY, does not matter undergrad choice

That said, some UF undergrad programs are better than others. For example, their Accounting program is one of the top ones in the country. However, FSU has a better Criminology (insert joke here) program. You should choose ranking for your program of interest, rather than ranking of school, in some situations

10. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    My daughter had good luck with her AP credits at BU. She also got advanced placement in French without taking AP French. She ended up with enough credit to graduate with two majors in four years.

Didn't know that about Michigan. She got wait listed there. Probably dodged a bullet. We had no money left for grad school but she ended up making more money out of undergrad than most people in her field get with a masters degree. I don't think she could have made a better choice than BU.

11. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Completely agree. Unless you are going to an Ivy or Public Ivy, like UVA, UT Austin, Berkeley, Michigan, etc, go to the best in state public school for your major and save up for the all important grad school.

12. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Why, we just landed a 4* LB and Mullen is hosting more talent on a weekend than Mac would host a season. Maybe try some patience since we're still MONTHS from the season, and just short of a year from NSD.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    HA my comment is more about all the back and forth what everyone thinks is a good school. I gave up thinking this thread was more about actual recruiting and info about players that are visiting. I get that the school matters but the title has little to do with what's being discussed. Yes people have right to their opinion but they can also show more respect to the topic of the discussion. Sorry if you think otherwise. Believe me my patience is about as conservative as it comes. I just wish these forums had more reliable info like Candyman and Notorious can bring instead of the on and on discussion that seems off topic to me. I'm out.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  14. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    If you weren't serious, my mistake. Written word is impossible to desipher intent.

As for the lack of info and off topic subjects, I agree.. It's very aggravating to follow especially on a recruiting forum.

15. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I just make up my info!

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Interestingly 2 of my son's friends were denied admission to uf, but accepted at ND, both went elsewhere and did fine.

I know several sfla kids that have gone to michigan for undergrad. Always surprised by that since there are a lot of very good schools out there. Don't know any that stayed in mich post grad tho.

Sorry for contributing to the thread hijack, but not much football substance anyway.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Finally some football talk. Can we get an admissions page for all those interested??

• Like Like x 1
  18. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    UT-Austin does not belong in the same sentence as those other schools. UF passed them years ago. UF, btw, is on every Public Ivy list I've seen, and when I was at Harvard, UF got a ton of respect from the Harvard faculty/administration.

• Like Like x 1
  19. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Not sure how UF passed UT. Maybe Harvard likes UF better but recruiters up here seem to prefer Texas Exes. There are thousands of them up here, most in the brand management/marketing/advertising world. Their business, fine arts and education programs are all ranked ahead of UF. I was especially impressed with their journalism and communications programs. Their film program is among the top three among public universities. I talked my daughter into applying to the film school but she got turned down. Their preference for in-state applicants is similar to UF's.

20. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Doc - I’ve never heard UF included in the Public Ivy list. I think the reason is that while UF has a good undergrad program, its grad schools are not Top 25 and it’s endowment is not close to other public ivy schools. UT Austin is in the Top 25 in three of the big four grad programs (MBA, Law, Engineering, and Med) and they are one of the most well endowed public school in the country.