Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So about that free healthcare in Finland

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RealGatorFan, Aug 17, 2019.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Personally, I'm in a very good place. Between Medicare and a private subsidized Medicare Plus plan I do not really have to worry about paying for my family's health care. Back in February my wife had surgery to remove a menangioma (benign brain tumor). We paid a $100 co-payment on hospital and professional fees totaling well over $30,000 and that was only for one day in the ICU plus professional fees. As far as a workable plan for the country as a whole is concerned the best alternative far and away would be to fix the ACA . The ACA type model works very well in Switzerland (99.5% of the population is insured) and the Netherlands (98% insured) and the state of Massachusetts (96% coverage). As far as Medicare for All is concerned, realistically taxes would have to go up for virtually everyone. On the other hand the increased taxes would be offset by much lower premiums for those who opt for supplemental insurance compared with current health insurance premiums as well as the indirect tax on virtually every good and service to subsidize the employer's share of employer-provided health insurance, not much to mention lower deductibles and co-pays (despite Bernie's proposal, the chances are that even with single payer we would still have co-pays and deductibles).

2. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 All American

Nov 26, 2017
    Now list all the free stuff the Republicans give away to the upper 2%. As in the massive tax cut signed last year by the current president. God forbid average working folks get anything.

• Like Like x 1