Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Smokin', Grillin' and Bar-B-Q

Discussion in 'Swamp Cook Shack' started by WhattaGator, Mar 18, 2019.

1. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Someone else, Hawaii Gator, not me, said that about the filet sizes.

In that thread about favorite cuts of steaks I responded to a poster who mentioned chuck eye steaks, and when you mentioned your surprise that people chose 7 bone roasts over blade roasts, I merely explained why that was so. I did not correct you.....I simply, factually, logically, and correctly explained something to you from the perspective of a former supermarket owner/operator. I don't understand why that should have elicited such a defensive response. You seem to feel like you've been attacked just by virtue of my having known something about retail meat merchandising that you did not. I wasn't trying to show you up.....I was just imparting some knowledge.

As for spare ribs, I was just pointing out that if a person thought those discarded portions were enjoyable as part of a spare rib, why pay for them and then have them trimmed off and kept by the supermarket, when for the same money, a person would have them to actually eat? Doesn't that make sense? I wasn't ripping on you for not having the knowledge to know what to do with the discarded parts, especially since when buying St. Louis ribs, you don't actually END UP with those discarded parts, and therefore, how to otherwise make use of them was not even a part of this discussion.

Seriously, if you go back and read that thread on steaks with an open mind, I am confident that you will see that there was no attack made on you by me. I was just imparting some information from the unique perspective of a supermarket owner/operator, which I assume is not a part of your professional background, so how could that have been an attack on you?

You know....the readers of this forum could make use of some knowledge from the very unique perspective of an independent supermarket owner.....there are very few of us out there.

2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Did you ever think to take the time away from debating and trying to somehow validate yourself to actually just start a friggin' thread?:rolleyes:

I don't know what your problem seems to be, but....
    If you look, there have been others who have started them on here... it IS a forum, after all.

3. WhattaGator

Whew!!.....

All drama aside... let's move on over to Beef Ribs!!!

[​IMG]

Wanna make some of these huge beautiful Smoked Bar-B-Q Beef Short Ribs???

Let's get to it!!!

You'll need to buy a slab between 4-6 bone (whole) Beef Short Ribs

DIRECTIONS:
    Treat these in the sams manner you would a beef brisket... perhaps a light mustard slather, then your dry rub.
    Allow the rub to set in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour

Place, bone side down, onto a smoker set at 275 degrees for 3 hours
    Remove and wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil, and add a little beef stock or broth and wrap.
    Return to smoker and cook for another 3 hours, until the internal temperature reaches between 190-205 degrees.....
    This will allow the connective tissues and collagens to melt into and tenderize the ribs.

Remove, add some Bar-B-Q sauce, if desired, and place into a dry cooler, with the plug removed, so it wont cook any further, but merely allow these collagens to tenderize the ribs even more.

Slice between the bones.. add sauce now, if wanted.
    These ribs will easily feed a hungry person! They are HUGE!!

4. Dinogator

Dinogator Freshman

Jun 26, 2010
    I've wanted to try smoking beef ribs for some time, but am always deterred by the cost. Ribs are nearly double the price per pound of brisket at the local Sams club (where I get 90% of my meats for smokin'). Convince me they are worth the extra dinero and I'll put them on the 4th of July menu.

5. WhattaGator

Those ribs.... the short ribs, when smoked "low and slow", the collagen and any connective tissue in the meat slowly dissolves into the meat, producing the most juicy and tender ribs meat you have ever tasted.

They're not as expensive as you think, because of the yield of the meat

6. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    Okay, I'll share some of my BBQ tricks. I'm a Weber Smokey Mountain backyard cooker - charcoal and wood.

My regular all purpose rub is a homemade not-written-down-go-by-feel/taste mix of (in decreasing order of quantity):
    Paprika
    Kosher Salt
    Black Pepper
    Demarara Sugar
    Onion Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Cayenne pepper
    (sometimes) Cumin

I use this whenever I smoke pork (butts, or baby backs), chicken (wings, drums, halves), you name it. My favorite sauce? Better Than Sex (original or Extra Tingly) - made by a little BBQ joint up in Savannah.

Baby Backs
    I like to get the cryo-packs from Costco - 3 racks for about $27. Clean em up, blot dry, and dust with a good bit of rub. I use the water bowl in the smoker to help moderate temperature and keep things moist/humid inside. Hickory is my go to wood for pork, a few chunks on top of the charcoal in the bottom of the smoker. Cook the ribs at 225 for ~3 hours, then raise the temp to 275-300. Depending on size, cook for another 3-4 hours until the "bounce test" shows the ribs wanting to crack as they flex. This should be before they're completely falling off the bone. Sauce lightly to taste. I don't like to cook with barbecue sauce because it just burns too easily.

Pork Butts
    I also get these from Costco - boneless butts for around $2/lb. A package contains two, and is usually 13-14 lbs. I trim away the fat cap, and any large chunks of fat, and coat it heavily with rub. Because it's boneless, I usually use bamboo skewers to hold it all together - you can tie it, but skewers are just faster. I usually fire up the smoker around 10-11pm and get the butts on. Once temp is stable, sleep through the night and check 'em in the morning. I've had some cook in 12 hours, I've had some go as long as 18. Every piece seems to be different. I don't inject, baste, spray, or wrap during cooking.

Chicken
    Buy a whole chicken and halve it, removing the backbone. In my cooker, I'll fire up a chimney of charcoal, remove the water bowl and lower grate. With chicken I tend towards fruit wood - apple/cherry, with a tiny bit of hickory. Dust the chicken lightly with rub and throw it on the top grate. With all of the smoker vents wide open, it gets up to maybe 350. Chicken cooks in 60-75 minutes and is far juicier and tastier than any rotisserie chicken from the store.

Wings (you can cook drums this way too)
    Light dusting of rub, just a little smoke wood on the charcoal. 225 for about 2 hours to safely cook the chicken, maybe a tad longer for large drums. But at that point the skin will be all rubbery. I break down the smoker sections, let the charcoal get screaming hot (all that oxygen), and throw a grill grate right over the charcoal. Using the high heat, crisp the skins. Work in small batches, stay on top of them so they don't burn - it doesn't take long.

Other things I've smoked:
    Whole turkey for thanksgiving - awesome. Use a catch pan for drippings.... BEST GRAVY YOU HAVE EVER TASTED!!!
    Turkey breast - I've even de-boned and tied one like a roast for even cooking. Turns out great.
    Chateaubriand log - (Prime, Costco) Smoke at 225 until the meat is 125-130 deg, then finish with a sear over high heat for a tasty bark. Slice and serve like prime rib. Result = perfect medium rare edge to edge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    I usually get slightly lazy on the rub (I've made my own before, but don't mind using other's mixtures). Best I've found for ribs is from Texas BBQ Rub.com Especially their "Grand Champion" rub. I'll usually take a rack of spares, wet it with Worcestershire and then rub it down with this. Meaty goodness about 6 hours later!

I can post a pic of the setup later (My friend's 100yr old indirect heat setup that I've had at my place since he doesn't have a backyard to keep it in).

8. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I like 99% of your post, but those poor bones...they want to be appreciated too.

9. baileyboy1223

baileyboy1223 VIP Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Mossyhead
    Whatta just wanted to let you know I used your pork recipe and bbq sauce for a cookout on the fourth went over great two pork butts vanished lol everyone complimented the pork and sauce although I wasn't able to eat I know the silence when they were stuffin their necks said it all thanks again chef

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. WhattaGator

Always a pleasure!
    Let the admins know your feelings about this forum... I'm sure they would appreciate the feedback. :D

• Like Like x 1