Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SlingTV pricing.

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by thekentuckygator, Dec 23, 2019.

1. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You could try things like Rogain, Propecia or PRP injections, but your best bet is probably a hair transplant.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    hope you are right about the guide. mine is still 6 hours.

3. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    The guide in Live does go into the future on a PC using Chrome or Firefox. I just tested it and went a couple of days forward. I find Chrome and YouTube, together, to be incredibly slow so I didn't spend any more time in this science experience.

Since you are using an Amazon product, which is an enemy of the google collective, it may be that the app is not getting the new features.

4. statesborogator

statesborogator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. PS Vue was tops in my book. I hated to get the notification of it's demise. I have it paid for thru January as I get accustomed to the YouTube TV option. But so far so good.

And $50 is a pretty good price. I think I was around $60 all in with PS Vue. But still better than the $100+ I paid for Dish/DirectTV throughout the years.

5. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    IF you want to play the promotion game with cable then cost is about equal. I used to bounce back and forth between att and comcast for a $100/month rate.

Eventually i got tired of it and switched to YouTube. Fewer channels, but i have all the ones i care for. I get to but it on all my tvs, no extra charge and i keep my total bill right around $100 with internet.

6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    It’s amazing how much we were willing to pay for cable LOL

7. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Well, Sling is going to lose my business. They're not adhering to the alicart model very well, they've added channels and charged more recently. Now a price increase with nothing new added. They're becoming like the cable networks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)...

I get my expanded cable included in my rent....plus, I have a 4K Roku TV....

I get just about every game that I wanna watch, plus, with the Roku, there's also access to numerous other free "stations", like Pluto, 4KTV, FOXNOW, and loads more....

If I really need to catch a game that's really important....well....
    It's gonna be on a channel that I already have... :)...

And, with that...I'm going back to watching "A Christmas Story" a couple more times tonight....
    "You'll shoot your eye out".. the "Fragile' major award leg lamp....the Bumphus hounds, and "I triple dog dare ya'!!"
    Drink your Ovaltine, and don't ever wear that friggin pink bunny suit that Aunt Sarah made for you!!

• Like Like x 3
  9. BanditGator

BanditGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Seems Like an awful lot of moving, dropping, machinations for saving maybe a couple hundred dollars a year. I give you credit. I like the ease of cable coupled with Tivo.

10. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    lol! try closer to $1,000 annually plus far more flexibility through fire tv and apps than cable could ever provide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Of course there’s BeastTV. $15/mo for about 1200 HD channels. My colleagues swear by it. I haven’t tried it yet.

12. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Are unlocked phones legal?

13. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes there is federal law requiring carriers to unlock your phone if you have paid for it. Depending on the hardware, it may be unlocked to just gsm or just cdma, or both.

The biggest benefit is portability between carriers AND no bloatware.

14. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep... I was an early adopter of cutting the cord and haven't had cable for about 10 years now... I've saved well over $10,000 in the time frame.

And the thing is, it's better than cable. If I had to I would actually pay more than I would pay to Comcast just to keep my current non-Comcast set up.

15. Gator_druid

Gator_druid All American

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Honestly not sorry to see PlayStationVue go the way of the dinosaur since it had become so buggy lately it was almost unwatchable. The sound was often way off from the video and it would skip ahead and back at random which was infuriating.

With regards to SlingTV I haven’t seen mentioned but a big downside to their DVR is that it won’t let you record certain channels. Among the restricted channels were the ESPN lineup which is how I prefer to watch sports now (record and start watching halfway through the game so I can fast forward through all the commercials). That was a deal breaker for me.

I will check out Hulu and YouTubeTV for sure.

16. NoviG8r

NoviG8r Freshman

Apr 9, 2007
    Used to have PlayStation Vue, but they are discontinuing their TV streaming packages next month. Switched to YouTube TV last month and we really love it. We use it with latest-generation Fire Sticks and the interface is easy and well-designed. Simple to record individual programs, series, movies, or all college football games automatically ... oh, and unlimited DVR is nice. Very good channel selection which includes all local stations (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and now PBS). SEC, Big Ten, ACC Networks, all the ESPN channels, FS1 & FS2, and many more sports channels. A bit over 70 total channels for $50 per month, plus up to 6 viewer profiles and streaming to 3 devices simultaneously. Worth looking into, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gator_druid

Gator_druid All American

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Does anyone know if YouTubeTV or Hulu have any DVR restrictions like SlingTV?

18. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    As far as I know, YouTube has no restrictions whatsoever, other than recordings will be deleted after 9 months. You can literally record anything and everything you want.

Not sure about Hulu.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatoraccountant

gatoraccountant Freshman

Dec 10, 2019
    The 9 month restriction is barely one because if something re-airs, it will record it again and restart the expiration clock.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The streaming services will catch up to cable and it won't take very long. Forget the competition factor, you are seeing all of them following suit when the price increases. It's about monitizing to the max and they are driven to do it. None of them are your friend.

• Agree Agree x 2