Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SlingTV pricing.

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by thekentuckygator, Dec 23, 2019.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Just got an email from Sling. Looks like everything is going up $10/package and the ala cart items $5 each starting Jan 22nd.

My current subscription price will get me through this season of course but I may go another route now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Does ESPN+ mean you get the SEC Network? I watch a ton of college baseball via the SEC Network but if I cut Sling, not sure the best way to watch it.

4. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008
    The reason I didn’t go with sling was because they didn’t have CBS

5. jcp

jcp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2009
    No, ESPN+ is not what you are looking for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee

Sep 15, 2007
    Hulu announced about a month ago they were going up that $10 and I suppose Sling decided to follow suit. They could have probably picked up some Hulu customers (like me) otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    I've been happy with YoutubeTV since I like their unlimited dvr

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Hulu Live TV just went up $10 too...but they all still crush dish and cable.

Hulu is my choice because you get all their movies and TV library PLUS all the live TV networks. I left Sling for Hulu and love it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. G8tas

G8tas Senior

Sep 22, 2008
    YouTube tv is too expensive. It is the same price as standard cable when bundled with internet

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    uh
    it's cheaper than Hulu live now

11. G8tas

G8tas Senior

Sep 22, 2008
    Isn't YouTube tv $50? If so that is too much

12. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    49.99 - who is better in price and content?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    They justified the price increases by adding some things. Fox, CBS, and a larger library are some of the things.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It really depends on what you want. If you want ESPN and sec network, as I'm sure we all do, then you are going to have to pay for the premium tier. I just use an antenna to get locals.
    But that is much cheaper to do than cable. You might pay the same for the base cable package bundled. But that won't get you ESPN sec. For that, you will need a premium tier that throws in a bunch of shit to justify the higher cost. Then you need a box. Oh, but do You want a DVR? That's more every month.
    In the end, these streaming services are considerably less expensive. Heck I used to pay 250 with all the box and DVR rentals. Now, I pay more like 135 for internet, you tube tv, Netflix, prime (benefit of needing prime for the shipping benefit), Hulu basic. I get to choose what services I want, and can watch them on my phone, laptop,tablet or any tv in the house.
    Obviously I'm a fan. And truthfully was a very early adopter. I got fed up when I received my cable and cell phone bills totalling 500 or so 1 day. Now I buy unlocked phones that are a gen or two old, use a discount carrier, and have more than halved my combined cell and cable bills.
    Incidentally, if you are in the Tampa area and looking for almost new unlocked phones, I know the place to send you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Go ahead and PM me max....always looking for unlocked phones to use in my line of work....

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I really liked PlayStation Vue, but they are out of business effective 1/30/2020.

YouTube TV is now rated the #1 streaming service. They just added PBS and OWN last week to the channel package. They have ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC to boot. They don't miss any of the sports channels either. At $49.99 plus tax = $55.08, it is a real good deal. It wouldn't be surprising to see a price increase for them to keep up with their competitors.

There are only 2 negatives with YouTube TV:

1. They do not offer the Hallmark Channel(s). I had Hallmark Channel with PlayStation Vue.

2. Part A: You can only look ahead 6 hours on their menu. Part B: You can't look back and watch for 72 hours like PlayStation Vue, must go to the demand feature. It's an inconvenience, but not a deal breaker. Unfortunately, it's like cable.

The positives outweigh the negatives:

1. Unlimited DVR that holds recordings for 9 months. The DVR does allow the fast forward feature through commercials. Simply put, the best DVR on the market.

2. Price is best in the market for what is offered.

3. Robust search feature. If you find what you want, you can set it to record to your library.

4. 3 simultaneous streams when others offer 2. PlayStation Vue had 5 streams.

5. Multi-faceted user friendly interface.

At this time, I highly recommend YouTube TV. It and internet combined are less than cable even at cable's bait and switch one year special offering which doesn't include their boxes or high taxes/fees. I have Cox 30 internet, $60.30 total, which is enough speed to stream without buffering. I don't play games so I don't need the higher speeds.

I use Amazon Fire TV for my streaming devices. I'm very happy with price and quality of the 4K Fire Sticks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    There is a some good information in this thread and ETGator1 gives an excellent review of the current YouTube TV offering. There is a thread in the Bytes forum on Cord Cutting that might be of some interest for people interested in cutting the cord from the cable predators.

18. jsarms1

jsarms1 Freshman

Jan 2, 2009
    Youtube TV does give you the most content for value...the problem is I like I'm sure many of you only watch Espn and SEC channels from August -December. I just subscribe for those months then cancel, YoutubeTV you can have 3 different tv's at once so you could share with a friend or family to split the cost.

19. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    This is the real value of cutting the cord, in my opinion: the ability to cancel and restart as needed. Can't do that with satellite and cable. As others have mentioned, the extra cost for equipment is negated, as well.

I'm currently on Hulu but moving back to YouTube at the end of the month. I just like the interface better (plus unlimited DVR and 3 simultaneous streams).
    Thought I read today that they updated the guide to a 7-day view.

Sling is the cheapest option, and it's ok...but only 1 stream at a time on their basic plan. That's a deal breaker for my family.

20. happygatorguy

happygatorguy Sophomore

Apr 17, 2007
    I dropped Sling after basketball season last year. Started Hulu live at football season. Then Hulu live went up $10. Hulu live doesn't stop sporadically (for me) like Sling did and I don't have to spend extra $ for CBS all access. I can't pick up CBS thru antenna.
    But after basketball season (if I can keep my hair intact from terrible play) I'm open for suggestions like everyone else.