Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sit Back & Take A Deep Breath...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by DeBigLeezard, Jun 29, 2022.

1. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay Gator Fans...
    Time to sit back, take a deep breath and relax regarding the misses we have gone through over the last two weeks, etc. Here are some thoughts:
    1. AS WE ALL KNOW, we are not going to get everyone. No one does. Yes, I know that Florida has missed out on those 5 Star and 4 Star players that we were really salivating over... but that is water beneath the bridge, as they say.
    2. This, "NIL and Boatloads of Money Phase" that we are going through will eventually get leveled out. The "market" will self-adjust... with or without the toothless NCAA.
    I personally see where other universities who have dropped tons of $$ on players will come back to royally bite them in the butt.
    Believe me, as this season gets underway and as this season gets into October, etc....established players will get upset because they are being replaced by higher paid players. High paid freshmen players will feel entitled to on the first string and when they are not... are gonna get mad. It's no longer about loyalty to a school, etc... but the hard, cold realities of $$ will come to the surface of the tender minds of 17, 18 and 19 year old kids.
    Throw in the greedy parents of those kids and their mindsets... well, it is gonna be fun to watch!
    3. Number 2 brings us to: "Remember The Portal" Yes... just like, "Remember The Alamo."
    We need to always remember the portal. Let's see how many of those high-paid freshman actually stay with the team that they signed on to this recruiting season.
    Who knows?... in a year or two, the Pup Howard's and the Cedric Baxter's out there might get disappointed or homesick and return home?
    And WHERE will they want to come back to? That place that they and their parents were very impressed with...Florida.
    4. Maybe some players wanted to go with the best $$$ deal this year, get the money and then... eventually come back to their REAL first choice?
    5. Florida has NOT had the opportunity to show off its new team and what it will do this season. We are not yet a, "proven commodity."

Bottom line: I truly feel that there will be a HUGE leveling out over the next two years with all of this mess. And that team that has the best, most professional coaching (and starts winning this Fall) will be the real, eventual winners.
    I never follow the "Eyors" of the world... follow the Eagles!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Like x 13
    • Agree x 7
    • Optimistic x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All very plausible. The system is in chaotic upheaval and it's impossible to predict the outcome at the moment, but variations of "UF is doomed" certainly aren't the only spectrum of possibilities.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The New York Yankees are a pretty good example of exactly what you’re saying and it does not seem to be hurting them one bit. There’s just the haves and the have Nots. After the first 10 or 20 teams get done bidding, the rest of the players will play for free somewhere unless there’s some kind of successful litagation

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Halo05

Halo05 Freshman

Nov 2, 2014
    There's an old saying - "It's never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as it seems."

It's not as bad is it seems to be right now. Florida will bring in some talent, but not an elite class like we had hoped. Billy can still build a good team.

However, to compete with Georgia, Alabama, and aTm we need *elite* classes. Florida is way behind in NIL right now and the reality is that this is a talent acquisition business. The admin is going to need to take the guard rails off of Billy. It's not a fair fight right now.

That said, I think we will have one benefit of the way we're doing it - our current players will be taken care of. I imagine there will be a lot of hard feelings at Miami when J Rashada comes in making more than anyone else, including current starters. The team dynamic will change. At UF, current players that actually produce are getting paid the most. I have a feeling we will see better team cohesion and fewer transfers than other programs.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I have a feeling that AR is getting compensated. If not that would cause a lot of problems

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Two competing thoughts. First, folks who see all kinds of problems when one player gets money and others do not seem to feel that college football is different from every other part of life in America, including sports teams. These kids grew up seeing QBs get paid way more than centers and looking at houses across the railroad tracks. I doubt they expect "fair".

The other side is that such a system will produce "capitalistic behavior" where economics predominantly drives decision making. And often it will be short term economics not "which degree is more valuable." Little different from boardroom decision making, but in this instance expect the chaos of players sitting out or transferring regularly, and of boosters angry that their cash did not produce "results." Expect the wealthiest competitors to destroy the weaker ones.

When we boil everything down to money, we lose honor, loyalty, long term thinking and other non-monetary values most of us profess to care about. The players will finally get paid commensurate with the revenue they help generate and I think that is good, but there is clear loss here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    but i mean, you say this like this can’t or/and won’t happen at UF

8. supduc

supduc Sophomore

Nov 30, 2016
    1: We know we won't get everyone, but we're not closing on top targets.
    2: When, in past two decades, has buying top prospects come back to bite a team in the butt? Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St, Clemson wouldn't be able to sit down if this were remotely true.
    3: That's a lot of "IF"s and hypotheticals that need to happen in the future AND chips fall in our favor in order to get our targets enrolled.
    4: See #3
    5: On field success has NO correlation with recruiting success early in a coach's tenure.
    Alabama was previously 6-6 and then went 6-6 regular season with Saban with a loss to ULM his first year and they still pulled a top 10 transition class and the #1 class in their bump year.
    Kirby and UGA went 8-4 and had a top 10 transition class and a top 3 bump class. With ~67% Blue chips and 5 5* players between the first two classes.

The reason people are questioning results is that we've seen and experienced what needs to happen in order to build championship teams. Florida *has achieved it* and we know what's possible, and we know what the standard is, and the results right now indicate it isn't on track.

*We're not going to fall into a championship trying to moneyball our way through the toughest conference in CFB. *

Just because we support the Gators in all kinds of weather, doesn't mean we shouldn't hold everyone accountable to standards.
    (Edited because I messed up the quotes.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    I’d like to get everyone’s opinion on the talent being more spread out now. Not seeing one team get all the talent like Bama and GA. Looks like to me it’s being spread across more teams, which would create more parity, right? At least that is my hope. And if that does happen I like Napier in building more of a true team concept. Next year will be very interesting to see how team culture plays out with the teams that are throwing crazy money at a high school kid that may or may not be able to play at a high level in college.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’d love parity but last years class was a nil class and it was just more of the same. Just more money and some different teams emerging now.

11. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Agree, but it was a different team in TAM. And yes, they signed a record class, but this year feels different. Plus, teams don’t have unlimited money, at least what’s being reported to some players, especially with our economy heading for recession.

12. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Sit Back & Take A Deep Breath.........& Drink Scotch.

Don't mind if I do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. DeepPurpleGator

DeepPurpleGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2007
    We went 6-7 last year and have a new coach - how fast did people really think this would get turned around? I am confident Napier will do a good job getting us turned around.

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  14. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Bourbon for me, ty

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    No argument from me. Nothing wrong with a good Bourbon

16. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    True, but teams with recent championships and better recruiters are recruiting better than us. So there's that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    I’ll take a trulys.

just kidding. I’m not a Miami fan.

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I expect that to be the case and what we end up with are the most elite 30-40 programs competing in an NFL
    Lite.

19. supduc

supduc Sophomore

Nov 30, 2016
    If you see my post above, Alabama went 6-6, then 6-6 under Saban the first year. He still got a top 10 transition class and a #1 bump class.
    His second year they had an undefeated regular season with that talent.

Kirby went 8-4 regular season his first year then 12-2 with a national championship appearance his second year with those classes.

The first year on-field results are rarely important, but the first two recruiting classes sure as heck are.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    No NIL stuff to navigate for either of those guys in their bump class. The landscape has changed.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1