Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Since no one else is going to ask..how many 5 star players do we have a shot at?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by G8tas, Jul 20, 2019.

1. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    A poster said they'd rather have Bell than Richardson.

2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Again, regardless of star ratings, I have to take issue with you because Richardson is the prototype of height/size/speed/athleticism of a Mullen QB and has improved his passing to where he is currently a better passer than Jalon Jones. I expect Richardson to have to be ready to play his freshman year because he is likely the 3rd QB. Bell has great, but not elite, measurables, and he is more raw at receiver than Richardson is at QB and is not ready to step in at receiver for next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Agree that Jaheim Bell is an elite player and don't understand why he's only rated three stars. It's not going to be fun watching him against the Gators. I also agree somewhat about preferring a legit passing threat over a great athlete who can throw but I wouldn't give up Richardson to get Bell. I was opposed to going after Emory Jones at the expense of Corral but I'm very impressed with the progress Jones has made because he didn't look like an elite high school QB to me.

4. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Bell's measurables vary from site to site but he has run sub a 4.4 forty and leaped 38 inches, just not on the same day. That's pretty elite for his size. The one thing he and Richardson have in common is breakaway running ability. I like what he could bring to the Gators whether he's ready to play next year or not.

5. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I thought he was kind of spotty in the Elite 11 event, not nearly as polished as many of the other DT guys. I'm excited about him because of the time Mullen will have to groom him.

FYI, one other four star DT QB is interested in UF. Jalen Suggs is being recruited hard by Mike White right now. He's a five star combo guard. Looks like a UF/Gonzaga battle. Probably the best FB/BB talent UF has recruited since Cornelius Ingram.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Exciting about Suggs.

Richardson looked like a huge project/risk last year. I didn't think it was possible for him to be in the elite 11. He was inconsistent, but looked like he belonged in the passing drills. That is amazing progress. If he continues that trajectory, we will be very happy and not give a second thought about Beck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Richardson's progress from last year to this year was rather remarkable, he'll be ready to play for the Gators in 2020 and will bring a physicality to the QB run game we haven't had since Tebow. I'm excited to see EJones play a good bit this year, he looks to be quick and slippery running the ball but he's only like 200# so a big QB like AR (6'4 224#) will be a nice change-up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm not doubting you saw it, but no way does the guy run a legit 4.3.

9. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I'm presuming that was hand timed because below 4.4 is Hendo type speed, and he does not look that fast in his film, but he is very fast for his size, and is very comparable to really highly ranked WR in his measurables. He is not quite the mismatch size wise as Pitts is. I would take him in a heart beat.

10. graylon

graylon VIP Member

Sep 27, 2018

I know it sounds like I'm bashing Richardson... im not trying to. If you look at Bell's film you see him playing tight end, receiver, AND QUARTERBACK... he shows his explosiveness and ability to allude tackles... that is the prototypical type of player Dan Mullen recruits, a guy that can do multiple things. Even though Richardson has come a long way in my opinion he hasn't even longer way to come. You still very inconsistent. Richardson's skill-set is something you can find in every upcoming class.... I wish that we would find guys a little bit more advanced I'm passing the ball. But if Dan Mullen is okay with him I am okay with him.

11. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I still don't see your point of emphasizing spot roles at QB for Bell. He is not being recruited as a QB.

Every class should have a QB to maintain balance so AR or another potential QB should be in the class, regardless of what happens with Bell.

You are proposing a false dilemma.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    A bit disappointing considering it's our third cycle but I'll take your word on it. I know we have California in our back pocket but I like the Florida players almost as much. :)

13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is ridiculous. AR is the UF QB. Bell could be the H Back guy. If he isn't then good luck to him. I like the guy but no one and I mean no ONE is a break or miss guy for this class.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    I thought Beck was autocorrected to Bell...lol. Bell is an ultra-athletic TE/HB/WR, not a QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Thank you, I was thinking same thing

16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Anybody who can get out there and simply allude tackles has got to be damn hard to bring down

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    More interested in how many guys leave as 5* than enter as 5*

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Might be hand timed. I think it's harder to inflate a VJ and that's probably a better indication of explosiveness.

19. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    I’d rather have a 3 or 4-star coming in who develops and dominates at his position over his Gator career. Seems like our 5-stars have been good enough to play but at a less than anticipated level. This staff develops talent from S&C to the position coaches to the HBC. Can anyone remember the last 5-star who played like a 5-star?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. g8rboy

g8rboy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    Vocab is your friend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1