Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Simply impressive win today!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by the_alphagator1906, Jan 18, 2020.

1. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    As most of you know I have been on NBN for years. I love gator basketball so much. That is why it pains me to see how bad we play at times because deep down I along with everybody else know we have enough talent to compete with anybody in the country.
    With that said, I have said that this team is "hard to watch" at times. However, today was not one of those days. I can not say enough how impressive this win was. I mean to not only beat a top 5 team but destroy them? I mean wow, that felt like the Gator Basketball I know and love. Lets hope this was the win that builds confidence and takes our entire team to the next level. Go Gators.

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I went up from Orlando to the game yesterday. It was well worth the trip. Big, loud crowd on hand, and the Rowdies were into basketball more than they were texting.
    As anyone who has followed the Gators could see, we got the season to date encapsulated in a single game. Glimpses of brilliance, lapses into bad habits. Here are the essentials from the game:
    1) Nembhard must succeed for the Gators to succeed. The drop-off when he's on the bench is enormous. On both offense and defense.
    2) Despite the disappointment some here claim that Blackshear doesn't "dominate," he's still our best, most consistent player. The dude is a rebounding machine and is always in the right spot on defense. Even when his foot is bothering him, and it was yesterday. He limped a bit. Also took some hard falls to the floor and was holding his hip frequently. He's going to be a hurtin' Gator today.
    3) Payne deserves his starting spot. The combination of Blackshear & Payne LLC gives us an inside presence we've been missing for a decade. Payne collects garbage buckets like the great Hondo, John Havlicek of Celtics lore. In a crowd, he still seems to always get a hand on the ball or affect shots in some way. And he's getting better.
    4) The Gator defense was TOUGH. Only a few breakdowns yesterday. We usually took Awbrin deep into the shot clock and gave very few open looks. That was CMW defense.
    5) The offense works best when KBJ or Payne sets a high pick for Andrew and lets him see an avenue into the paint. It's an underestimated skill, and Payne has gotten much better at this and did it without fouling yesterday.
    6) Scottie Lewis will be our Brad Beal when we get into March.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Fun FUN game to watch!
    Loved how we answered their runs.
    Adjusted to their pressure: had a turnover-fest that 1st half...much MUCH better the 2nd half!
    Had some clutch possessions when we needed it.
    Saw the confidence in the players’ eyes.
    Omar was Houdini under the basket. Loved it.
    nice to get a run-away win!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Confidence and chemistry increasing every game. Fun to watch.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Regarding #2, his foot is always like that. I think that is why he doesn't have a very high vertical. He has one foot that is always on its toes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Whatever works! 16 Rebounds

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I know he favors it. Yesterday, however, he was limping a few times. I don't know if it was his foot or his hip that was hurting, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Even on free throws.

I was expecting Auburn under Pearl to come with fire after their last game, getting embarrassed by their rival. For us to come out and punk them was shocking. They start 4 seniors. Poor Pearl must be crushed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Spot on. Agree with all your points.

10. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    not always

11. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    By always I mean every game. Even the announcers have commented on it. It is just something he has always done. His dad says it is genetic and he does the same thing. Search Kerry Blackshear Foot on google.

• Agree Agree x 1