Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Duke loses 5 starters with Carter going pro

Carter is gone. No surprise there. Duke has now lost their entire starting 5. They have a ridiculous class coming in, but they will have to gel quickly. I think up until now Coach K has blended a nice mix of one-and-done with solid upperclassmen. Will be interesting to see how he does this year. They will have a lot of talent (a-la UK) but can he get them to all buy in?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I am probably in the great minority, but I think duke will strugggle a bit next year. For all of their talent, they seem to lack shooters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Count me as one who already predicted Duke losing it's starting 5 and being vastly overrated going into next season. Since Coach K doesn't feel the need to develop depth, Bolden and his, what, 8 mpg will be their most experienced player on the roster. While I don't really follow HS players, I've heard next year's Freshman class is not nearly as talented as this past season's. Not to mention the top 3 recruits K landed all play SF, so there might be some redundancy to their games. As much as I hate him, Allen's experience and leadership was key to the team's progress this past season. Where will that come from next year? I guess K will be in the grad transfer market and get his pick of the litter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Grad transfers all making decisions now and we need to sit in sidelines waiting for a Hudson decision after he gets draft status feedback. That said, the more true freshman that declare for draft, the better for us that Hudson May return

• Like Like x 1
  5. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

I agree!

The other thing I think people need to remember is that not every recruiting class year to year is equal, and this is a weaker class, so having the top 3 recruits (while still impressive) isn't as dominant as it sounds. I think Barrett is legitimately awesome, but Reddish and Williamson would not be numbers 2 and 3 in most classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Agree with @Efawcett7 about Barrett being legit.

I think Duke is banking on those grad transfers. Looks as though there may be some good ones but I don't see that they've announced yet.

7. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you could see Javin DeLaurier take a big step to help that new team gel. Who knows

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Barrett, Reddish and Williamson are going to start at the 2 through 4 spots. Tre Jones will start at the point. Duke will be loaded. Williamson is a freak of nature. Think a taller Charles Barkley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Nova's DiVincenzo to declare for NBA draft

This is an interesting one. I assume he will come back, but it makes sense to declare and work out for the NBA. I think he could get 1st round interest, but that doesn't always mean it's the right move.

10. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    DiVincenzo is the perfect NBA shooting guard prospect. Automatic first round material.

11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Agreed, anymore in basketball the 2, 3 and 4 spots are interchangeable. They all know at Duke they will see plenty of court time since Coach K only likes a 7 man rotation in big games. All 4 will average around 30 minutes a game and somewhere between 13-18 points. Just for clarity Barrett will be the 2 Reddish the 3 and Williamson the 4 like you have it. Strangely reminds me of Jordan, Pippin and Rodman but at different heights. I know way different example but these 3 together could be special at the college level.

12. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    All 5 declared for draft without agent

Tyus Battle - Syracuse
    Udoka Azubuike - Kansas
    Jared Vanderbilt - UK
    Charles Matthews - Michigan
    Kevin Huerter - Mayland

Saw projections for Battle, Matthews and Huerter as 1st round. Seems like there might be more players slotted as first rounders than there are picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Kentucky will have one hell of a physical frontcourt with the likely addition of Reid Travis, who we couldn't guard at PK80, and Washington who also bullied us quite a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Unless their Freshmen are way above and beyond what people think they will be, we will beat them at least once.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't disagree but I'm cautious to agree with that at the same time. They'll be much improved from last season.

17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Not one person from UKs team last year worries me

18. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GratefulGator

GratefulGator Sophomore

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
  20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I have mixed feelings about this off season for UK and its hard for me to form them into one cohesive feeilng - so I'll just list them:

Frustrated at how many players left from last year's team for less than 1st round draft projections (or even 2nd round ones). I don't blame Gabriel - who's family needs money presumably. Don't blame SGA and Knox - who proved ready. Do blame Diallo and Vanderbilt.

On the other hand, no sour grapes even, I'm glad Vanderbilt is gone. Unlike the vast majority of UK freshmen Cal has landed, Vanderbilt actually did fit the sterotype (held by those who don't like UK/Cal) of the type of freshmen Cal gets at Kentucky. He wasn't selfless and was often at odds with staff - keeping them in the dark about his playing status/injury stuff. Cal didn't throw him under the bus (I would have), but during the season you could tell he wasn't happy with the situation.

I didn't think I could be as happy about next years team, given all the early defections, as I am though and this will improve immensely if they land Travis. He's the perfect missing piece. Next year's team, even without him, will return more experience than years like last year.