Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Should I sell my house?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Dec 13, 2022.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Let me preface this by saying I'm pretty much financially illiterate when it comes to the housing market, market trends, etc.

I bought my first (current) home in 2017. It's a modest home, just a hair under 1500 SqFt. It's just me and my doggo, no wife or kids. It was built in 2011, so it's a newer home. I bought it for $116k.

The house nextdoor was built in 2013. It's almost identical to mine, same interior paint color, same tray ceilings, same cabinetry and countertops in the kitchen, same size, etc. I'm pretty sure it was built by the same builder. It sold in 2013 for $112k. They recently listed it for $195k and it was only on the market for 4 days and it's currently under contract. Other homes in our small neighborhood have sold around this range.

I'm thinking mine is probably worth $190k or so. My mortgage is currently under 6 figures. I'm thinking about selling it and moving in with my girlfriend (marriage material). We both have good jobs, hers is a 6 figure job. I know that her current home is not her forever home and want's to sell and look for our forever home.

I guess my question(s) is.. Will home values continue to rise? Should I hang on to it in hopes that value will continue increasing or get out while I can? Selling and making a good profit is mighty tempting. I'd kick myself if the bottom fell out and it lost all of it's accumulated value. Will there be a point where building materials come down to where there's not a huge difference in building a new home vs buying a new home? I really don't know much about it. Is selling my home while the market is hot and living with my girlfriend for a year or two to see what the market does a good/bad idea? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Im waiting for the more financially savvy people to respond so I can hear what they say but off hand and without knowing any other details like your plan on where to live in the short term among other things, I wouldn't.

What happens if the girlfriend thing goes south? My house is up about 100k in 2 years but I couldn't move anywhere right now and get much because it's all relative. Also my rate is 2.6% so there goes that if I sold as well. Again, looking forward to learning what others write but I look at home ownership right now as a safe harbor for what is happening with real estate and housing. I wouldn't want to be renting or looking to buy right now at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Something I can't get out of my mind. I don't see it happening, but anything could happen. Another thing I ponder is if the market doesn't come down, that profit is kinda of moot (mute) since it's going to go towards a house that may still have a large price tag. I think the plan would be to sell, move in with her for indefinite period of time, then sell hers and we buy/build something together.

I like the thought of making the profit, but also feel secure about already owning a home. It's stressful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Move in with her and rent yours for a year.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    I'd expect housing prices to retreat some though not to the extent that happened 10-15 years ago. House prices are cyclical (like most things financial). I will tell you that trying to time the market is a very good way to go broke. Real estate tends to trend upwards over longer periods of time so until you and the gf decide to move in together, I wouldn't sell. Remember also that you won't see the full profits from a sale since the seller usually pays the REA commissions as well as any improvements as part of the sale. It'll cost you ~10-15% to sell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I live in a high retirement area. I just don't see it coming down where I live but that might not hold true for you

• Like Like x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s a really complicated question.
    Different markets behave very differently, some have already fallen 25 percent, others are still rising. Even within a town there can be big differences based on crime, a new plant opening nearby, a road expansion etc. and if rates rise or fall more than expected that will swing things too. Or the economy slows down more than expected, which could lower rates but depress demand.
    My advice is not to worry about timing the market, and do what’s best for for you personally.
    HTH.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If you're on the fence you can always list it high and see if someone bites. That may make the decision for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Good points. My house is within 8 miles of Moody AFB. There's always been rumors of that base closing down. I wonder how that would affect things if it did? I've known of a few service members in my neighborhood. I think they buy while they are stationed there and sell when they leave.

10. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I've thought about this. I don't know how realistic sites like Zillow are, but my neighbors listed theirs for like 15k over what the Zillow estimate was. It was on the market for just 4 days. The house across directly across the street was bought for 112k in 2016 and was sold for $186 in June of this year. It, too, only last 4 days on the market before it was sold.

I wonder if I listed mine at something crazy like $215k and let someone talk me down. :emoji_thinking:

• Like Like x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Just from anecdotal stuff I hear, the market isnt as 'hot' as it was a few months ago. A few people who probably overvalued their homes arent getting bites and have had to temper their (slightly unrealistic) expectations on sale values.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I second this, rent it out while you try the 24/7 thing

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I agree with renting the house and moving in with the girlfriend. If you mortgage payment is as low, you can make a nice, monthly profit while continuing to pay down the mortgage, building equity that way. You also have a place to go back to if the unfortunate thing happens with the girlfriend, and the relationship doesn't last. But if you are truly thinking marriage, and years into the future, consider what the value of the house might be in 10 or 20 years. And how much less the principle on your mortgage would be at this time. And how much secondary income you could make by renting it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    As an example, a 1700ish sqft 3/2 in palm coast sold for 395k in October. They are still going for 325k and up. Way overpriced but northerners are coming here after retiring on a northern income scale and inflating the market because they are overpaying for what locals were spending on the same market.

15. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yup. Rent it out and save the income as a future nest egg. If you sell down the road and take the equity you will still have cash on hand if the result of the sale turns out to be a relatively net even in the event the market doesn't come down.

16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Or they both rent their houses out, buy a van and travel the roads, live that #VanLife

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Not that it will happen to you,,,

Live with your girlfriend for a year and get married then sell and buy with her.

You have to think about the what ifs the main one being what you can do if the relationship doesn’t work out. It happens a lot and can set you back financially.

Some things to consider is the cost of a use or new home vs yours.

Construction materials are still elevated.
    New home loans carry a higher interest rate.
    If you build where will you live? Rent is high.
    What is your current house payment vs a new one?

Look at the areas you may consider moving to. Check out the current used home prices and find a coupe new subdivisions and see what they are getting for new homes.

Do houses in your area rent well and for a decent price? I look back at a couple similar circumstance and wished I had kept a couple places I owned rather that sell. Rentals can be a good income if you don’t mind the hassle of being a landlord.

Sit down with a pen and paper and list every positive and negative then compare them.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    This is an unpopular opinion, but holding and renting creates a supply imbalance and further drives up home prices and inflationary problems.

If you believe in passing along a starter home to a young family to start a life, consider a sale and be happy with your girlfriend and with your decision.

Attachment to the past and a preparing a fallback position might result in sleeping on a couch and developing space rockets and cars.

— Elon Musk, internet anti-woke advice expert

• Like Like x 2
  19. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  20. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Thanks!

I'm paying about $850/mo currently.

The GF wants at around 10 acres. We want to get out of the city, not quite BFE, but close enough to town where it's not an hour drive to go to the grocery store. If we build, one of my thoughts is to sell, move in with her for the time being, buy a plot, build a mother-in‐law suite, sell her house, live in the MIL suite while the main house is being built.

• Like Like x 1