Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Should Florida Football retire jersey numbers?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, Dec 13, 2019.

1. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    The retired numbers were #11 (Spurrier of course) and #55 (Two time All-SEC linebacker Scott Brantley whose career appeared it might be over after a bad concussion in a game at Florida Field but then went on to a multi-year successful NFL career). Probably some other players belonged on the retired number list if were were going to retire numbers -- Jack Youngblood, Wilbur Marshall, Wes Chandler to name a few in addition to those you mention. There would be some old old timers in the leather helmet days that probably would have been justified in addition to players like Danny W., Tebow, and Percy).

Personally, I like the Ring of Honor better than retiring numbers. It is a good replacement and leaves open numbers which are important to some recruits. And you can only retire so many numbers, but Ring of Honor inductees are limited only by the definition we apply to who gets selected. I tend to think the Ring of Honor should be opened up to more players. They did put Marshall, Youngblood, and Emmitt in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    This.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Maybe you "retire" the numbers by not allowing underclassmen to wear them.

Our current QB wears possibly the greatest number of all (at least tied with #15)

I think it would be cool if #11/#15/#7 were always given to a junior starting QB (for instance).
    You would have to stay with the program and earn the starting role as a junior or senior. Maybe the captains?

Same with #22, #1, etc.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Almost exactly my thought, but I might consider picking 1 defensive player and 1 offensive player, maybe let the players vote, who shows particular character or leadership on and/or off the field. Maybe the defensive player gets #1 and the offensive player can choose between #7, 11, 15 and 22.

Imagine how big a huge DT would look wearing #1. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Since Scott Brantley's number was retired and he agreed to unretire it, I think he should've automatically qualified for the Ring of Honor, since he was considered a great enough Gator to have had his number retired at one time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't recall the criteria, but I don't think he qualified based on the standards set.

But adding #55 to the special assigned numbers for defense would be a great way to honor him as well.

7. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I think he deserves to be qualified by default, since his number had been already been retired before they came up with the criteria. UF thought he was great enough to have his number retired, which at the time was the highest honor they gave, and they thought he deserved to be specially remembered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I get you, and I don't disagree. But I think they wanted to keep it from being subjective, which I also understand. Plenty of guys deserving of historical recognition.

9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    It can be problematic with an 85 man roster and with recruiting (these are popular numbers). I'd rather use them as legacy numbers where those who wear them have to earn the right to wear them. I'm thinking #44 at Syracuse, for instance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    They have tweaked the requirements for the Ring of Honor to add more. I agree with you on Brantley. Odd to have a player have a number retired but not in the Ring of Honor. Seems to be a pretty easy amendment to the requirements since he is the only one to which it would apply (Spurrier of course already being in the Ring of Honor).

11. I do not think we should retire jersey numbers, but I would hope that as players pick or get assigned numbers that there is at least a moment of reverence for the Gators whose jersey numbers are shown in the Ring of Honor.

We could tell that Kyle Trask knew what #11 meant to Gators, especially at the QB position. We would lose moments like this if we retired numbers 7, 11, 15, 22, 74, and 88. I like the idea that someone mentioned earlier about reserving numbers. #1 should continue being allocated to the best NFL prospect.

The other numbers in the Ring of Honor (plus Brantley’s #55) should have preferential treatment. The alternative would be to save #55 for the “Scot Brantley hard-hitter or impact linebacker award”. Maybe rename #1 as the “Percy Harvin electric player award”.

12. sort14

sort14 Sophomore

Oct 26, 2019
    Oviedo
    IF... we are retiring numbers, I would go for the Heisman winners, Emmit, Wilber Marshall (#88), and Jack Youngblood (#85). But ultimately I agree with SOS. The ROH is enough for me.

13. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Just retire away! We got plenty of numbers available, we just go to the hexadecimal system when we run out!;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I've always disliked retiring numbers, it seems a rather goofy way to honor someone by not letting anyone else wear the number, seems more like making it so they are easier to forget.

When I see someone wearing 15 I think of Tebow, I don't think "How dare he?!?"

I'm glad UF doesn't go in for it, I hope they never do again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    No
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Love this idea...

17. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    No to retiring numbers... its a team sport... Tebow wouldnt be awesome without Harvin and Hernandez, or the stellar defense led by Spikes.

And what someone did in the 60s for example is easily surmounted later by new players... cant keep a number retired when others do the same position so much better... ala Spurrier ackonwledging new QBs were way better statistically.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    If an offensive player's number is retired, defensive players should still be able to wear it, and vice versa.

20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    To the point the Yankees have no single digit numbers left and high double digit numbers are becoming popular if not necessary (e.g., Aaron Judge).

• Like Like x 1