Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shorter

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    But if its a straw man, then why are we a win away from 11-2 tomm in a NY6 bowl? Man how do you argue against results? Y'all really need to stop crying about this class/transfers. Mullen's results on the field make your "arguments" weaker by the day.

**edit**

Where in the world did I say we've recruited among the best? I've said THIS class is a GREAT class whether YOU like it or not.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    No they haven't. . And even if so they've STILL outrecruited EVERY SINGLE team in the country by a huge margin... But they're not undefeated every year. Georgia has how many 5*? And they're probably gonna get destroyed by Baylor since I've heard a dozen or so players are skipping the game.

I'm calling it now, all those egos going to Clemson will be the beginning of the end for them.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Great post

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    No they don’t make them weaker because the team’s performance and recruiting are two, separate, discussions. You can have a good team and average recruiting and vise-versa.

The best teams in the country are finishing top 3-5 in recruiting annually. We haven’t done that, which means were not recruiting great, yet.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Dan Mullen was still coaching at MSU when Dabo and Saban first started building relationships with these kids. And Florida was working on a 4-7 season.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    We kinda have... let's take the 2 best this year LSU & Clemson:
    2019: UF 9th. Clemson 10th LSU 5th
    2018: UF 14th. Clemson 7th. LSU 15th
    2017: UF 11th Clemson 16th LSU 7th
    2016: UF 12th. Clemson 11th. LSU 2nd
    2015: UF 21st. Clemson 9th. LSU 5th
    2014: UF 9th. Clemson. 16th. LSU 2nd
    2013. UF 3rd Clemson. 15th. LSU 6th
    2012: UF 3rd. Clemson. 20th. Lsu 13th
    2011 UF 11th Clemson 10th. Lsu 8th

So it would look as though we have recruited as good or better than Clemson in the last 9 classes though they have won 2 of the last 3 nattys. LSU on the other hand looks to have done much better over that span yet we are 6-3 against us in 9 games with only 3 of those games being decided by more than a TD. We've certainly looked like we belong on that field when we've played LSU.

Other notables over that span were noticable frequent top 10 class teams who.have done poorly or below avg regardless of their recruiting ranking like Tennessee, texas a&m, texas, Auburn who had repeatedly signed really good classes but got nothing out of them.

Still think we got one more notch to hit in recruiting but we are right there on the heels of the "big dogs"

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. MoscowGtr

MoscowGtr All American

Aug 17, 2011
    This argument seems to be over nothing. No one thinks a 20-5 start for a coach taking over a 4-win team is anything but a great start. Everyone thinks we could do better in recruiting; everyone accepts the possibility that we may do better in future years. I’m sorry, but it is simply incontrovertible that Mullen was not able to come in and immediately build recruiting momentum the way that Sabah did at Bama, Smart did at Georgia, and Dabo did at Clemson. Whatever the reasons for that, it doesn’t mean he is a bad coach or can’t build momentum later.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Also their only conference (and division) competitor decided to mail it in.

9. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Miss State never beat Bama

Otherwise your point is valid. Those teams at best are getting top 10 classes with maybe Auburn cracking the top 5/6 occasionally. I agree a creative coaching staff with some decent talent can certainly beat Bama. Hugh Freeze seemed to have the best go at it from a consistency standpoint, but Spurrier and Malzahn are both tricky coaches. LSU really hasn’t neared then until this year with elite talent + creative offensive coaching.

The long and short is that talent + coaching wins games. Crazy concept haha. I like how we’re positioned in the future with both. I just hope we take advantage of our shots when we get them while we build up top 5 talent.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen is a great coach.. However in order to get to the elite level at some point we will need to upgrade our roster in a big way. i

2019 College Football Team Talent Composite

Above is a link for composite recruiting rankings, which is a much better indicator than yearly numbers. It shows how we stand vs. our competitors.

The numbers don't lie, Mullen is doing more with less.. But we all know at some point we will need to do more with more to consistently dominate

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Evidently, by replying without answering .

12. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    2007 was Saban era. They also fell to UGA, FSU, and LaMonroe.

That year is not really relevant to recruiting rankings, but it counts as Saban era.

13. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No

Wide Receivers. Pitts is a TE. Toney is listed an athlete. My post was about wide receivers. Specifically, it was about wide receivers.

Neither Toney, nor Grimes have announced they are coming back. Read that again. Without them, the returning production of returning WRs combine for 22 catches, 293 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Rick Wells will be a redshirt senior in 2020.

BTW, Toney only caught 9 passes in 6 games this year. He has never caught more than 1 touchdown in any season.

I did. As a transfer. A transfer is not the same thing as signing a high school player. The entire post was about "striking out" with wide receivers who do not transfer in. Two of our top-3 receivers were transfers. If Grimes does leave, that leaves us with two scholarship players at WR with any game experience of catching a football.

If Shorter transfers in, that does not strengthen the argument RE: "striking out" in high school recruiting at all.

Two returning players with 22 catches, 293 yards and 2 touchdowns combined avaiable for 2020.

'Grossly premature'

Another conversation.

Two returning wide receivers with 22 catches, 293 yards and 2 touchdowns combined avaiable for 2020. And the top target was an ALL-SEC Tight End.

Please do not conflate having an opinion with 'complaining'.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Clemson retains players well without getting transfers much so looking at the team talent composite on the TOS for each year is a good way to check on it, and their ranking for their roster over the past years from this year descending to previous years is 9,6,9,9, 13. They are not far from what we should end up being in the next few years for talent by star rankings on our roster. I think the big difference is their hits on big time playmakers like Watson, Lawrence, and their receivers for big play ability regardless of offensive scheme. Overall I think the depth CDM is bringing in now is as good or better than Dabo has had, but he had better top end skill players.

15. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "Well, we stuck out in recruiting for the past 3 years."

I said that. I said that concerning wide receivers, which is objectively defensible. We have had only >> ONE << WR in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes to have caught a SINGLE PASS this past season.

No where did I say our recruiting isn't fantastic in other areas.

16. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    average player ranking

Clemson 93.65 with 23 commits
    Alabama 93.48 with 26 commits
    OSU 91.82 with 25 commits
    UGA 93.65 19 commits
    LSU 92.93 with 21 commits
    A&M 91.27 with 22 commits
    AU 90.88 with 24 commits
    UF 90.04 with 24 commits
    Texas 91.85 with 17 commits
    OU 90.45 with 22 commits
    ND 90.66 with 18 commits

we're actually 11th if you go by average player ranking at 90.04. Talent is getting better but we def should start with more ELITE talent next cycle in 2021. We still have time this cycle to gain even more talent (which we will) but with that being said.....

Out of our 24 current commits, only 7 of them rank in the top 10 at their position. In comparison

ND has 8 out of their 18
    OU has 8 out of their 22
    Texas has 7 out of their 17
    Auburn has 10 out of their 24
    A&M 11 of their 22
    LSU has 11 of their 21
    UGA has 11 of their 19
    OSU 9 if their 25
    Bama 14 of their 26
    Clemson 14 of their 23

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Remember the Terry Bowden circus days?

18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Winning and facilities help, as does coaching staff continuity. This is the best class in terms of 4 stars we have signed in a long while. I think we will see continued improvement in recruiting, but talent evaluation and development is always important as well.

in terms of skill position recruiting, we have to have 1000 yard receivers and rushers and get kids drafted high that have success in the NFL. FSU still uses Dalvin Cook and recent running production of Akers in their recruiting pitch, despite a change in coaching staff. We use DBU in that same fashion. Unfortunately we don’t have much in the way of recent QB, RB or WR success to highlight to recruits in the NFL and no WR or RB has had 1,000 yards as a feature player, as we rotate often and share the load. Mullen can sell prior QBs he has coached in the NFL, but we need some success to highlight at UF skill positions that is recent, not the Harvin and Tebow period.

19. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    I didn't know Terry Bowden was at Clemson.

20. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    The point, my/our main point. Is Mullen does not need to collect 5* to win. Mullen just need the players that meet his style and the depth. Depth is what hurt us the most this season on both LOS, and Mullen went above and beyond there. Just look at UGly, how many more 5* do they have over the entire East combined, over lsu? They were only 7pts better than UF and got HAMMERED by lsu. Also I'm seeing all over Twitter and FB UGly is going to have 14 players miss the Sugar bowl.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.