Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shorter

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    A lot of assumptions here you’re taking for granted. Manuel isn’t in yet, Shorter hasn’t committed. I’ve been a naysayer but if we get both of those guys (assuming Shorter can play immediately) and keep Grimes, I feel good about WR/TE. Toney would be a cherry on top.

RB is still my biggest concern.

2. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Dabo won titles with lower ranked classes. Too many of y'all put WAAAAYYYYYYY too much stock in star rankings. I mean WAAAAYYYYY too much stock. I've asked this once, I'll ask it till one of you answer it honestly.

If top 5 classes were end all be all, ok... Then why isn't bama like 140-0 with their 11-12 straight top 5 classes?? ?????????

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Then answer the question of why stars are the only answer, Nicho. Quit making baseless assumptions and go root for bama if you care about recruiting titles then.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    I'm too lazy to research it, but I thought I saw someone say that Clemson's "lower ranked classes" were due to the overall number of recruits and not the quality of players they were bringing in. If that's accurate then it doesn't really refute the concern that we're not getting enough elite guys. Perhaps someone has the stats on blue chip ratio on the roster and that could be more illustrative of the level of talent (at least according to the recruiting services) that is required to win it all.

5. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    feet probably small too

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Nobody is saying next year is locked down though it seems toney and Grimes will return by all accounts. Hell, we could have tons of injuries and regret our WR depth. What is ridiculous is the "struck out" negativity comments given all the unknowns you cite (manuel -wants to be a gator and grades supposedly improving, shorter - likely a gator, Pouncey a gator, redshirts may be damn good, copeland, etc). How about just saying "Damn, I wish Dan could bring in some 5 star wide receivers from High school." I'd say, "Damn, I agree." It would be simpler. But if that is not the case rather than say "struck out", I am going to ask what happened - did we recover and get some talent. Answer - looks like we did. Just b/c you didn't marry jessica alba doesn't mean you struck out.

I agree that RB is a bigger concern. Not a Parrish fan (video highlights only). But is a position where a fresh can make a difference and not sure we need one to have a great offense next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    This is such an absurd post I’m not even sure where to start my reply.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Senior

Jan 26, 2016
    Let me try to help bridge this gap in our fan base...
    I don’t think anyone doesn’t like this class, but we’re not yet at the level of elite recruiting classes. Some are merely pointing this out as the goal is to win championships. Some are saying be patient and/or perhaps the portal can take us there.

My take:
    I see us at the elite recruiting level in just two years.

I really like our defensive class. Let’s say we add Tae Williams and for the sake of argument assume we added someone of the caliber of Donell Harris (his on-field caliber). I’d put that defensive class against anyone in the country.
    On offense there’s a little more work to do. We are kind of unique so I’d take AR in a UF uniform over anyone. Assume we add X Henderson and Manuel qualifies. Also assume we get Gibbs (or got Bowman). Add a five star TE and swap a OL with a five star OL. I’d take that class over anyone else’s.

In two years we’re selling four straight 10-win seasons, an SEC championship game appearance, and the best and newest football facility. Also our instate rivals are garbage. We can also use the pitch “Look what Kyle Pitts did in our offense. Look how we developed our O linemen.” The aforementioned class is very much attainable then. We’ll have to win a few battles against Clemson, uga, and bama for the Florida HS kids.
    So in two years we’ll have the same talent input as the top programs. In the meantime our “very good” talent input, player development, and Xs and Os will allow us to compete with anyone as we saw this year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    As luck would have it, I found a site that can shed some lights on “stars”

Blue-Chip Ratio 2019

And to answer your question about Bama: it’s because they lost to other programs with top 5 classes. :rolleyes:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Fezziwigator

Fezziwigator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Wow! I had no idea. Geez, it seems like just 10 years ago they were nobodies and now a number one recruiting class, just like that. I wonder what happened to turn the corner and vault their recruiting up like that?

Was it going 69-4 since 2015 and being in the title game 4 out the last five years? Could that have helped?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Recruiting rankings are subjective as all get out.
    A lot of the 5 stars don't pan out.
    A lot of 3 and 4 stars do pan out.

A good barometer is the players offer list, but then you have a Kyle Trask type.

It's like an episode of Gilligan's Island on AR nowadays. Same plot just different stories around said plot.

If you get so worked up about where 17,18 year old kids play college football than please get a new hobby.

I'm excited about the kids whom chose to be Gators!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    This thread has caught the third page-itis like most other threads here on GC. Seems once a normal thread reaches the third page all chance of a decent conversation about the topic has to end just because a few people want their own place to blow. Imagine if GC had its own place for those that like to blow could blow all they wanted to and make up their own topics just to blow some more. Oh yeah its called Too Hot....
    This thread blows!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    To me its not the rankings. Its the repeated flirting with a high caliber recruit and then scrambling for back up options when he chooses someone else. That to me tells whether the staff is good at recruiting or not.
    See Tim Smith, Donell harris, Bowman and the list goes on. I am not worried about a Fred Davis, Darnell Washington types who never gained traction as targets. Its the hit and miss that tells the story.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    I believe CDM, staff and roster won more games in their first two seasons at UF than Satan at Bama or Dabo at Clemson. Let’s see how we end up at the start of fall camp before we live or die by a star count. The positive culture change outweighs any pre-signing day star count IMO. When the new facilities are reality and on the field progress continues we should be an even more attractive destination for top talent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    just to play devils advocate for a second on this post....
    Ol' miss? Twice. Miss state? South Carolina?Auburn this year and on the famous kick 6 play?..... lsu?..... possibly forgetting one I'm sure.

All teams that beat Bama since the Saban era. Most of those have rarely seen a top 5 class if ever at all. You're post seems to be a little skewed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    On one lot, luckily we have a TON of schools..errr. I mean car lots nation wide to choose from. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    Good post, I agree.

Objective discussion is beyond some, but also some are just too blinded by their orange and blue glasses.

I’m a realist, and don’t like lying to myself.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    Straw-man fallacy. Your original argument was that we’ve recruited among the best even though we haven’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  19. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Correct though I think it's fair to add that the sunshine pumpers have their equivalent on the opposite side, for whom nothing the staff does will ever be good enough.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    But only stars matter, remember....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.