Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shorter

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    ¹
    It is odd. On one hand the negators bemoans the 3 star players that have yet to play, but here comes a 5 star player whom the gators may get from the transfer portal and here comes the same people who already saying he's a bust because he couldn't make it at Penn state . It is odd indeed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. sflgator05

sflgator05 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I didn't realize our coaches were focusing on the portal as a way to fill needs instead of trying to recruit top players. Somebody should tell them that they shouldn't use the portal since it's a bad "strategy". o_O

I agree that Mullen needs to step up his recruiting game to get us to an elite level but winning on the field goes a long way in reaching that goal. FSU was on top a few years ago and look where they are now. LSU may be on top right now but they lose Burrow and will not be the same team next year. I give Mullen a pass because he is a great coach but if we have another great year next year, we need to be in the top 5 or our approach to recruiting needs to change.

3. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    People don’t understand the portal is now a game changer. 3 of the 4 playoff teams acquired their best player from the portal.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Sadly, you are correct my friend.

5. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    Agreed. However, you cannot count on the portal as a regular substitute for recruiting misses. It can be feast or famine. I disagree with of some of our posters alluding to recruiting misses can be consistently overcome through the portal in order to deflect criticism from recruiting issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    There are only so many gems on a used car lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Great analogy and agreed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was thrilled to see Grimes come here (come home, really). His circumstances were a little bit different than Shorter's though.

Shorter was obviously a mega-talented kid to gain 5 star recognition, but I have seen enough rumblings about weight gain and being mentally soft to have mild concerns. Not sure why that is odd. And I wouldn't even really say I'm concerned. We have room to take him and need WRs so seems like it makes sense. A better way to say it is that I'm not as excited as I'd be about a 5 star without any perceived baggage.

Critique my posts all you want. I welcome intelligent rebuttals. Telling me to stop bitching or questioning my Gator fandom isn't all that intelligent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    That came to me like a vision! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I fully understand that. But I think there is a balance to be struck, and too much dipping into the portal would not be good for a program. That is my own opinion. The portal is still a relatively new phenomenon, so this is very much uncharted territory. At the end of the day though, I would still greatly prefer to recruit from HS first and foremost, then the portal, then JUCO in that order. Was very happy to have a guy like Greenard in O&B this year - for the obvious reason of his productivity but also how he represented himself and interacted with teammates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    With poor development from the staff comes poor enthusiasm from the player. This results in a downward spiral. 5* kids are so hyped and critiqued, I sometimes think they are their own worst enemy at times if not managed correctly.

He’s fast. Has skills and didn’t earn 5* for nothing. I’m going to assume Mullen and Savage can not only give him drive but hope.

We shall see. I’m cautiously optimistic as well.

12. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    #7 isn't "great"? Come on man. . Some of y'all really need to stop this insanity.

If the cesspool signed this class you neggies would be quaking in your boots. And for the ones whining about transfers, what would you say if Shorter went to cesspool, um, Clemson, gumps, osu? I honestly don't think some of y'all actually watch the Gators, tbph.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    So being ranked 7th or 8th in recruiting suck to you? You guys are tough to please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    It's great, but it's not national-title elite (on paper...thankfully the game gets played on the field).

Clemson just signed 7 of the top 29 players in the country. That's 7 players ranked higher than our highest rated recruit (Dexter at #31). Take some version of that over 4-5 years and the gap becomes massive.

Bama signed 6 of the top 50, and 11 of the top 100.

OSU = 8 of the top 100.

LSU = 8 of the top 100.

We signed two of the top 100.

And before you sensitive people come at me: Let me say that Mullen is my 2nd favorite Gator coach - in any sport - of all time (behind SOS). I am just pointing out facts regarding recruiting/roster - not complaining. If we want to win a national title, we need to recruit one level higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_gary

gator_gary All American

Jun 27, 2007
    This is %100 true. We are getting there. Should have one of those classes next year.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Here we go again - lol.

Classic example of mindless response to any whiff of criticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    I know I never questioned your "Gator fandom". I don't think I told you to stop bitching either, though I may have indicated that much criticism from some Gator fans on this and other threads is premature and overwrought. Do not construe that into telling you to stop bitching unless you are sensitive to it.

18. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry I wasn't more clear, but that was a general comment for the board. Not directed at you at all.

See above for a perfect example of what I was referring to: someone saying we must not even watch the Gators. Just plain dumb.

19. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    True about the balance. But the portal is still HUGE. There are going to be tons and tons of elite players who get lied to (Kirby/ fields), beat out in year 1 and then transfer so you are essentially getting a 5 star player with a year of college strength and conditioning, acclimating to college life etc., vs. having to rely on an 18 year old for instant production. Percy Harvins who contribute that early don’t grow on trees. I think people are underestimating exactly how far ahead of the curve Dan Mullen is with this portal business. Throw in the fact that a lot of these guys are getting instant eligibility and that makes it an even more important tool.

20. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    I assume this quote is not based on last year's team as our WRs were very good. Next year we have Grimes, Toney, Pitts, Copeland, and 3 guys signed and red shirted who you and I know nothing about. We have a transfer and a 4 star signed this year who would be a 5 star without academic questions - may or may not make it in. We also now have a 5 star from 2018. Perhaps you want 5 star percy Harvin but we might get 5 star Steve Shipp. We have a very good room next year, decent the year after AND we NEED to recruit. All is not lost. Everybody wants great recruits but the clemson recruiting class coming in this year full of 5 stars did not win the game yesterday. The 2016 Clemson class was ranked Number 11. The doom and gloom of "struck out" is unfair... and idiotic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.