Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shorter

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Convenient to leave out Grimes and Van. Transfers are counters too and they do play on the team. The three guys from 19 can’t be counted as positive or negative in regard to recruiting. If Manuel makes it in along with Frazier that too could be counted as good recruiting at the position. We will be at 10 which is the number we are looking for. Shorter already most likely in. Not sure where the imaginary problem is quite yet unless all these guys aren’t any good.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Negative speculation without any merit is different though. Calling last years wrs as no good without playing a down is a little weird.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree, but I don't know if anybody said they were "no good". The comment I saw was that they don't look to be instant impact players, which is usually based on recruiting rankings. So in this case I guess the "merit" would be recruiting rankings. Not infallible, but a decent directional indicator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    “ struck out?” Has been used . That remains to be seen. They don’t look like anything as we haven’t seen them play.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So if you knew that we had 3-5 stars coming in versus 3 3-stars (all hypothetically), you wouldn't have different expectations? Let's not act like we don't form early opinions on things.

6. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    what is this "it" you refer to

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I like the 5* guys as much as anyone yet I don’t have expectations except that Mullen has done pretty well so far and that I expect us to have a surprise or two from players we have not seen yet. I expect our receivers to be really good this year until I’m shown otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bruh. This guy is going to be an AA and 1st round draft pick in Mullen’s system. You can’t teach his kind of raw talent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I noticed one of them gave you bacons for breakfast.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    But here is what is odd. We seem to be getting a five star transfer and the same people who moan about us not getting five star high school talent immediately question his value as a transfer.

The glass may be half full but some seem to rejoice in saying it is empty (struck out) even though February signing, the portal and the content of our team (development of red shirt freshman) next year is still unknown. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and every opinion is entitled to be critiqued. kind of odd when folks can’t handle their criticism being critiqued, especially when the critique may simply be that more time is needed before a judgment can be made.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    To be fair James Robinson would have been a big catch if he did not have a derailing health issue unknown to him and the coaches.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I think we should be excited about rankings confirming what we think already about a recruit, but we really should reserve judgment until we see them play. Hammond says Weston is faster than Marks, which is hard to be believe, but if so, we can't be sure Shorter has greater potential than Weston just by their severely different star rankings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. pcg8r

pcg8r Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    After "trying" to read through as many posts as I could, I'm ready for September. The Orange Bowl won't settle a few of this crew down no matter the result.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Manuel, Fraziars, Shorter, and Pouncey would be a great WR haul this year to compliment an experienced corps of Grimes, Toney, Pitts, and Copeland (and the rFR). We’re not going to skip a beat at WR over the next few seasons.

The situation was way worse in 2017 when Mullen took over, and 2 years later we have our best WR group in 10+ years. There was much angst when Mullen was hired that no WRs would want to play in his offense but look at us now...WR is a team strength, not a weakness.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    The person the thread is about

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It might be if he’s willing to block. The other comments about being a poor route runner and lax work effort,...how hard or precise does a 6’5” 230lb high school wide receiver need to be? It would figure he’s got some adapting to the college game demands coming.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. zman-1

zman-1 Senior

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    Hate to interrupt, but does anyone know how to get to the message thread about Shorter? I seem to have made a wrong turn somewhere.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I smell a lot of striking out with the wimmens around here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    LOL
    I welcome Shorter should he don pads.

I’m extremely happy and excited by CDM
    and staffs ability to develop players and how they adapt in order to maximize the teams winning potential.

My impression is that a win over UVA and
    an FSU loss, leaving the U and Holes with
    6-7 records, coaching staffs in turmoil or transition, give UF an excellent opportunity to dominate in state recruiting. Then start winning some of the bigger battles with Clemson, OSU, BAMA, UGA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    When you cannot sign 5-star players in your own backyard and hope to build depth using the transfer portal is not a sound strategy. If Mullen is fortunate enough to find a good player in the portal then he is lucky. Smarter strategy is recruiting and signing your top targets. Even smarter is filling needs by signing your top targets through recruiting and using the portal to have an insurance policy.

In my view it’s not unfair to say the coaches struck out on WR and RB recruiting. However, it’s not the end of the world as long CDM can iron out the deficiencies in recruiting. I have no doubt UF needs to hit on a higher percentage of their top targets. We are more often than not going way down the recruiting board to fill needs.

• Come On Man x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.