Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shorter 2.0 - Only about Shorter, nothing else

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by 3rdgengator, Jan 3, 2020.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure why an announcement has not been made yet. Still expect it before Monday.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. cubangator

cubangator Senior

Jul 8, 2017
    Are you counting Shorter when you said that there was only 5 spots left

3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    UF just got a PWO commitment from a LB/DE on scholarship at UCLA. Though I don't think he was a five star prospect.

4. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

So, because you clearly can't handle hypotheticals. I'll break it down for you. We have limited spots and a few very high rated recruits that we're courting. Guys that the Coaches may want more than a transfer (5 stars or not). But maybe the coaches would like the transfer but don't have room for him and that transfer really would like to go to UF. If there are no more spots in the class for ships due to the limit, then possibly both could get what they want as a PWO and a ship given as soon as room opens up. I don't believe anyone believes we won't lose any players to transfer or anything else. So, while not likely to happen, it is a hypothetical that I had a question. And yes, I'd be okay with our coaches exploiting this tactic if it was possible.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    There's room. Even if there's not room, there's a three star OL who hasn't signed yet and three or four scholarship players who should probably transfer. So Shorter would not have to be a PWO (or a POW).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

but don't we have a maximum on the number of ships we can offer in the class? I don't understand all the rules (because I've never looked them up so self caused ignorance)

• Like Like x 1
  7. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, UF has to meet requirements

• Like Like x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    3 star LB from the Gville area that spent a year at UCLA on scholarship. Think he was homesick. PWO for us and has 3 years of eligibility. 6’5 kid that should find a special team role and be good practice squad player at minimum. You never know with 3 stars that are smart and work hard. Could find his way in the field as a senior???

• Like Like x 3
  9. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    Losing players to transfer does nothing. It's all about initial counters. In other words first time schollies offered. You are allowed 25+ whatever you were under last year. Who leaves or stays makes no difference unless they are a current 2020 recruit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. freedomgator

freedomgator Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    So let's say this guy is good and we want to give him a scholarship next year. Does he become an initial counter for next year? I assume he would as that'd be a "blueshirt" or whatever, but that does kinda suck for the walkons that used to get scholarships when there was room.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    No, a coaching staff can give walk on players currently on the roster a scholarship, if under 85 scholarship players, without that ship counting against the 25 initial counters in recruiting that year. PWOs are the only way to grow your future ship numbers (beyond the 25 allowed each year) when significantly under 85 and have early departures for the NFL, transfers and non-qualifiers in your recruiting class.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. MoscowGtr

MoscowGtr All American

Aug 17, 2011
    I’m confused, what is this thread about?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    As soon as you find out, let the rest of us know!!

:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Rising tensions in the Middle East and the nfls sham of a pi replay rule

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    It sounds like the "gray shirt" tactic Bama has employed for some time now, minus the PWO designation. I wonder, though, if Shorter would be willing to go that route due to his status as a former 5* recruit and the near certainty that some power 5 program, somewhere, would scoop him up without hesitation - thereby obviating the PWO scenario altogether. My uneducated guess, FWIW, is that he wouldn't go for anything less than full ride from jump.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Junior

Oct 17, 2011
    There's a rumor going around he has already enrolled and we should hear something this weekend.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    About the POW walk on from UCLA, or X Hendo, who announces during the all star game?;)

18. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nothing else.

19. biggynugs

biggynugs Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Was he from the class that chip kelley got hired at UCLA?

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Pretty much a grey shirt and a way around initial counters. If we have a player that can afford it in order for another kid to be able to sign, great. Bama likes to do it. If said kid isn’t going to play next year, money is the only difference.