Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shooting at a synagogue

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Oct 27, 2018.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They are still Jewish. I don’t want to get into theological debates or disputations here. Let’s just leave this at a really misguided move by a the VP.

2. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 All American

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Don’t need to explain yourself to me, I wasn’t the one to call you out. Good to know you have no response to your inaccurate post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Jews for Jesus = Vegetarians for Meat

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't know how to respond to "They are still Jewish." I do know that I shudder any time I see one of them carrying a Torah scroll or wearing a tallit.

5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

6. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Are they? Seems more they are trying to co-opt Judaism in some confused way.

7. It is amazing, the one-for-one tautology between globalism and opposition to Christianity.

It is like you can't have one without the other.

i will carry it a step further: globalism is SATANIC.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe they're Jewish culturally and maybe they can be considered Jewish by virtue of birth, but the religion that they practice really isn't Judaism. If anything Messianic Judaism is a hybrid religion. Their services are Jewish in nature, they wear tallit and kipot during their services which are more Jewish than Christian and they observe (to varying degrees like conventional American Jews depending on denomination) Shabbat on Saturday rather the Sabbath on Sunday like Christians however when it comes to some of their core beliefs, e.g. the concept of original sin and the belief that Jesus is the Messiah they are much more Christian than Jewish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Apparently they're more Republican culturally as well. ;)

At least this guy is.

10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Politically they're Evangelical Christians and apparently are the same politically as other Evangelicals.

11. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    So a chunk of them have their faith strongly grounded in partisan politics. Gotcha.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Seems like if I can convert to Judaism, and be considered Jewish, someone could just as easily leave the faith and not be considered as such. There are a set of practices which define the identity, being Christian definitely isn't one of them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    I would interpret their wearing the tallit and kipot and observing Shabbat on Saturdays is more @ window dressing. It is pretty astounding that Pence would invite them as representatives of Judaism. There is something way off in his thinking, as as a Christian and VP . It's as if his goal was to offend Jews.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Is it possible he just didn't know any better?

Not that ignorance is a great excuse, but it seems to be how much of this administration operates... on a variety of issues.

15. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    It's possible, but I think a fair argument to make is to expect that he should have, or someone in the administration should have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Their religious practice is not Jewish. But, being born Jewish, they are still Jews. They just do not understand their religion.

17. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds kinda like a POTUS who is sworn to uphold the US constitution, but just doesn't understand it. ;)

18. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    PETA for animal slaughter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Here is an explanation from a military chaplain.

Opinion | Why Pence's actions in Pittsburgh were so insulting to Jews, according to a rabbi

The problem is that this is theologically impossible. The belief that Jesus was the messiah is the defining core belief of Christianity, and completely outside the realm of Judaism, all of whose mainstream branches believe that the Mashiach has not yet come.

To be clear, a messianic Jew has as much right to her or his beliefs as I have to mine. It is admittedly unsettling to many Jews that the observances of messianic Jews look so, well, Jewish, including Jewish ritual items and Hebrew prominently, while being so based in Christian theology. But unsettling is not in and of itself offensive. It is also worth stating that this discomfort with messianic Judaism is not a discomfort with Christianity. Christianity, which looks like Christianity, is simply a different religion from Judaism and to be respected as a fellow faith tradition. Where messianic Judaism becomes much more troubling is when it seems to pass itself off as authentic Judaism, and especially when this resemblance is used to evangelize to Jews and try to pull them away from Judaism.

In inviting Rabbi Loren Jacobs to the stage to address the crowd at his Michigan rally — and by referring to Jacobs as “a leader in the Jewish community” — Pence erred on many levels. First off, Pence was simply incorrect. Jacobs may (or may not) be a leader in the messianic Jewish community, which most Jews would consider a Christian community, but he is not now and has never been a leader in the Jewish community.

Even more offensive is the fact that Jacobs, like many if not most messianic Jews, believes that Jews who do not accept Jesus are destined for hell. Jews can only be saved by accepting Jesus as their lord and savior, according to Jacobs, and getting them to do so is the central mission of Jews for Jesus. In other words, the “rabbi” Pence asked to share a blessing for unity believes that the only way for Jews to reach heaven is to stop being Jews.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

I have a suspicion Jews for Jesus exists only for the joke immunity. They're pulling a reverse Tim Whatley.

[​IMG]