Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Shawn Bradley paralyzed in bike accident.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Mar 17, 2021.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Very sad thing. Hopefully, his rehabilitation will be successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Man that suck. Will be pulling for him

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    What a bummer. I cycle, and follow the stats, and cycling fatalities are up 32% over the last ten years. Not sure what is going on. Just last week, three riders in our club were run over from behind by a driver who fled the scene. One died, one is in the hospital in serious condition, and the other had multiple fractures and a concussion. Eight months ago another rider was run over from behind and died. There have probably been another eight or so people hit in the last 12 months who survived but had various injuries. Getting hit from behind is a very, very bad thing for a cyclist. A lot of riders are giving it up; my brother did after being hit twice. It's gotten dangerous as hell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. bogator

bogator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    You ride with Caloosa Riders? Incredibly sad situation, but unfortunately become much more common.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Getting hit by a car while riding your bike is not a "bike accident".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More and more distracted drivers. Scares the hell out of me and I used to ride on some of the busiest roads in my area.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was a life long bike commuter. I was a recreational rider and then started racing. I have probably 300,000 miles logged on the road on my bikes.

Lots of near misses and several of them were deliberate. Actually ran off the road on purpose several times.

One that was particularly funny was an attempt to run me off the road near Micanopy with a bunch of guys waving a purple dildo at me and calling me a f@ggot. WTF? They were a car full of guys with a dildo. (This might cause this post to be screened. Sorry, mods. You can delete this if you wish to, but it takes away from the point I am trying to make.)

Just to preempt: You cannot train for bike racing by riding in town on the sidewalks. You can't even do that on the rail trail because there will be too many other people slowing you down. To be a ROAD bike racer you need to train on the ROAD.

During the Lance Armstrong years when he was winning and most people didn't know he was cheating it was much better.

9. miloappis

miloappis Sophomore

Mar 19, 2018
    I was hit from behind when I was 10 years old. I had a compound fracture of my left femur and caused long term spinal damage. A collision with a car is bone jarring and is really beyond description. I pray he makes a good recovery.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    The first thing which usually pops into my head when I see something like this is was the driver texting while driving.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Have they given the extent of his paralysis? Neck down? Just his legs? Hope he isn’t totally paralyzed. Prayers for his healing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I knew a guy that died that way.

She (the driver, not the guy I knew) was in high school and got a slap on the wrist.

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have been hit twice by cars, but neither one was that bad. Both times I was in the left turn lane waiting to turn left and got rear ended with a little bump. Both times I was scolded by drivers that it was my fault because I should not have been there.

14. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    My daughter told me the other day that her husband had caught my youngest granddaughter texting and driving. In no uncertain terms, he told her the next time would result in her car being taken away from her and he's not just talking.

15. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I was that strict when it came to seat belts. I accepted no excuses so either buckle up or park the car were the options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    Believe it or not, I was hit by a tractor-trailer rig (semi truck) on a bicycle. Completely shattered my left leg and causes me spinal pain to this day and it was in 1983.

17. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'm an avid cyclist and I can tell you exactly what's going on. Texting while driving.
    I was pedaling along one day, not rush hour, staying in the bike lane. Traffic volume was very low. A car passed me at about 45 mph, riding the white stripe that delineated the bike lane, missing me by inches. The driver never saw me. He was too busy staring at his effing phone.
    My advice is, stay off the arterials as much as possible. Plan out your route on low-volume residential streets. Slower speeds, and drivers seem to pay closer attention and text less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Yup. Cell phones. Tragic.

My road bike lives on the trainer now and I switched to riding in the woods about 7 years ago.

I'm much more likely to hurt myself mountain biking, but waaaay less likely to die. And the injuries will likely be less severe.

Speedy recovery, Mr Bradley

19. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I wish there were roads more suited to riders. We have several roads around here that have blind curves and two lanes. They are lower traffic and have a lot of riders. Problem is when you come around a corner and have less time to react and an oncoming car you have a recipe for disaster.

Riders need to chose safe roads and states need to build some wider.

Often these things are simply terrible tragedies with no real blame.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe when you drive those roads you keep that in mind?

Just saying.