Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shark tank star scammed out of 400k

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Feb 26, 2020.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    How did a thread about a phishing scam turn into a pissing contest about Donald and Hillary?

FFS... This is why our political situation isn't getting better. This is why we have Donald freakin Trump as president.

Back on topic.... I deal with this stuff daily. It's a rolling domino effect. When one gets compromised, they will read your email and find tendencies and concoct an email or request that seems completely legit because that's what you would normally do. After that, they will try to get money with phishing schemes and send everyone on your contacts list an email trying to compromise them as well. Don't click links, don't click attachments and don't wire transfer money to someone even if it comes from a known address that you always do business with. It's not sophisticate at all and you don't even have to be an idiot to fall for it. One lapse of judgement or one simple mistake or overlooking small details like a changed signature, different phone number, email address looks almost the same... is all it takes.

Best bet is if it's something major like what Barbara was dealing with, they should have gotten verbal confirmation or not sent money at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When Mrs. GK passed, the scammers came out in full fury. I had to change bank accounts, change phone numbers as well as carriers, and still STILL they kept coming trying to scam a grieving widower. I do not answer the phone nor click on links/emails if I don't know for certain who/what the source is. I might be going overkill, but I still have my $$ and have not had my accounts compromised. I cannot imagine the damage that is done to the elderly who may not be tech savvy, approaching senility and/or full blown dementia. Sick.

As Pink Floyd once said "one slip and down the hole we go"

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Yup, they will prey on anyone. One of the worst things you can get from clicking links or attachments is crypto viruses. It can cripple a company if you don't have sufficient backups. I'm sure everyone has seen a news story or two about small town governments (and even larger ones) paying these ransoms because they haven't trained their employees, don't invest in the proper equipment and safeguards and don't have the right companies consulting them.

Long story short, no measure is too much when dealing with email these days. It's an afterthought for most but it's well over 75% of those people and businesses I deal with who have gotten compromised.

• Like Like x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I blame Trump and his base!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    To be fair, that's bound to happen when the POTUS is basically a scammer. A Trump supporter came in and posted, apparently without irony, that he "hates thieves", another poster replied with "so I guess you hate the CIC".... and away we go...

The dude had Trump University for goodness sakes, preying on seniors and financially illiterate people into handing over their life savings with the promise of "getting rich" in real estate. That's basically only a half-step away from a phishing scheme in terms of scumminess. If Trump had the technical wherewithal to do an internet phishing scheme, he probably would do an internet phishing scheme. Hell, whose to say he isn't? Guy's campaign handed over polling data to the Russians. Do we think he's keeping all his donor data safe and secure?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007