Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shaka on the hot seat...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Feb 13, 2018.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I was recently chatting with a former poster, who was lamenting a recent Gator loss to Bama.
    "A coach needs to have his program humming by year three".
    The comment -- at the time-- was a shot at White, but got me thinking of other coaches hired at the same time.

Many here very much wanted Shaka and were bummed we missed our chance. To be honest, I would have been fine with that hire too.

But Shaka is in year three, and despite some recruiting success-- he is far from humming. His overall record hovers around .500. He has a losing record in the conference, and has yet to win a tourney game.

Last night Texas lost its third straight and fell to 5-8 in conference. The remaining slate includes @ou, @kstate, @ku and WVU.

Is Shaka on shakey ground?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would say no just because of the Andrew Jones situation. You get a free season when dealing with something like that. Even with that, they are far better than they were last year (they won only one game away from home last year).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Every coach in every sport starts on shaky ground in Austin, and the tremors can reappear in the blink of an eye. It's the nature of expectations at UT, which are more through the roof than just about any university in America.

However, nothing has happened that budges my belief that Shaka is one helluva coach. He's an adult, he knew what he was walking into at Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    They gave him a contract through 2023, so he'd have to completely tank over the next few seasons.

5. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Shaka took the wrong job IMO.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    He gets a pass for this season (A. Jones), although I'm sure they will expect a big season from him next year or else.

7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The Old Miss job? That is quite an interesting idea.

8. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Shaka Smart SHOULD be on the hot seat but I don't think he is because of the huge contract Texas gave him. They owe him over 3 million a season until 2023! 2023! They made a horrible decision paying him that much. There are always super trendy mid major coaches and often they don't work at a high level. A few years ago the two trendiest coaches in college basketball that were both on NBA coaching watch lists as well as watch lists for marquee college basketball jobs were Shaka Smart and Kevin Ollie at UConn. Look now, and Texas isn't happy with Smart and UConn has struggled the last several years and wouldn't garner any interest from major programs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Whenever UF has a football or basketball hire, some posters get so incredibly, emotionally invested in "pay the man whatever he wants" about the top dog in the coaching cycle. I've always hated it for the reason that a coach that doesn't want to be at UF, but says yes for an extra few million a year...well, shouldn't be at UF.

You've given another reason. Maybe they will wind up sucking. Let other programs go the Notre Dame Charlie Weiss route and pay for generations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

If you hire the wrong person in college basketball and they turn out bad, you are screwed. Memphis is a great example of a tanking program due to that situation.

And if you're into conspiracy theories... UConn has been unhappy with Kevin Ollie but owes him a lot of money. The only way they wouldn't owe him money is if he was fired for just cause, such as cheating.....
    .....the other week, it was announced the UConn was SELF REPORTING NCAA violations... It makes me wonder if the Athletics Department WANTS Ollie to get in trouble for something so that they can fire him without having to pay the rest of his contract out.

11. Noah_Brindise

Noah_Brindise Junior

Oct 28, 2014
    Capel and Grant failed at bigger jobs after VCU and Shaka looks to be continuing the trend. The bigger jobs are just a different ballgame. If Will Wade doesn't succeed at LSU then I wonder if bigger schools will stay away from VCU when making hires.

12. ncbullgator

ncbullgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ollie should simply hold a press conference and mention there have been death threats directed at his family.

Then take a selfie wearing a Nebraska cap.

Problem solved.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    That was a great game last night - I tuned in about 2 minutes from the end of regulation and of course was rooting for Baylor - went to 2 OT's!!!

14. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Agreed, and those same people that talk about paying the big salaries to coaches and assistants also tend to be the first that get upset when a coach is fired and we have to pay a huge buyout.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Texas fans are having regrets after watching how Tennessee is performing

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I Understood the decision to move on, but Barnes is a really, really good coach.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

Couldn't imagine who the "former member" "might" be. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Shaka will turn it around and make Texas respectable contenders in the big 12. I wanted him here but the timing didn’t work and I think things worked out for the best as White is better now and will be in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I lose $200 and I am mad. Kansas loses $10M and they are mad.

Texas loses $20M and they go "got that in my wallet." Different culture.

20. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Texas seems to have a lot of coaching turnover in all sports these days.