Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Seth Towns potential grad transfer

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by potomacgator, Feb 3, 2020.

1. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Are we trying to recruit Seth Towns 6' 7" Harvard senior who was Ivy League player of the year as a sophomore but was sidelined for two seasons by a torn cartilage in his knee? He will graduate this year and has entered the transfer portal. He wants to pursue a masters degree in creative writing

2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    As a Harvard student, he may actually put a priority on the academic program he's pursuing. Does UF have anything special in the creative writing arena? Best player in the Ivy League is probably not too shabby.

3. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    The UF department of English offers a MFA in creative writing.

4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He has 2 years of eligibility left and everyone wants him. A huge question is whether he will be healthy. He has not recovered from his original knee surgery and is going under the knife again. Reminds me of Adam Allen’s situation.

5. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If only Harry Crew's was a) still alive and b) teaching at UF. That is some pretty good creative writing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I don't know if the Gators have gotten in touch but I do know he has been outstanding every time I've seen him play. If he can get healthy he will be a stud wherever he goes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    No disrespect but why would anyone need a masters in creative writing (let alone an undergrad from Harvard). Can you imagine Hemingway thinking that was more important than getting life experience?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    One reason would be so the kid could play 2 more seasons of college basketball.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    bingo

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    The article I read by John Feinstein in the Washington Post indicated that he had the second surgery over four weeks ago and no longer feels any pain in his knee. Though he will not be fully recovered until June.

11. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Sounds like the perfect Gator. As long as he recovers by January.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We need more 6'7" swing men! Right now Duraji is the the only one in that category.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I would think that Iowa, Michigan, and Virginia would be high on his list of schools given his interest in creative writing.

Or he can join NBN because a lot of our posters are very creative.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Recruiting smart kids that can play worked well for Billy D. Matt Bonner is the poster child for that.

I don't think we have the academic program this kid is looking for, but I would love to have Coach Mikey going after high IQ guys that can play the game. Court smarts can make up for a lot of things. Being an athletic freak and not knowing how to play is not a good thing.

15. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    College is not life experience?
    Lots of writers get degrees in English or creative writing. Hemingway did not, but he learned his essential skills as a journalist.
    There's more than one way to skin a cat.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Scottie and Mann and KJ say hello.

17. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I took Advanced Expository Writing at UF as an elective (I was a Microbiology Major).
    My Professor was none other than James Haskins, writer of the Cotton Club. He was an amazing cat, lots of stories and super cool.
    There were about 6 of us in this class. I learned a lot that wasn't on the syllabus. One of my favorite professors at UF.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    6’4”, 6’3” and 6’5” respectively.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Iowa by far. The other two aren’t better than us.

20. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    A lot of undergrad time in writing classes is spent on basics such as grammar. A lot of my kids could barely spell and chew gum. You get the theory in grad school, breaking down the greats. A master's is a ticket to teaching so you don't starve while you write. Not crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1