Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sessions denies access to asylum for domestic abuse victims

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorknights, Jun 12, 2018.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL

WWJD?

2. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    How many are you willing to put up in your house? Sorry, the US cannot take care of the worlds poor. What we can do is be an example and lead other countries to follow our example. Now that we have a Prez that's not ashamed of our country he realizes a rising tide raises all ships.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Not the sinking ships....there are a few of them around.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We used to spread democracy and human rights.....that's been taken off the agenda by Trump. That's behind this reversal by Sessions.

In his first four months in office, President Donald Trump has shaken America’s democratic foundations at home and abandoned a powerful bipartisan commitment to human rights. Seemingly forgotten is the legacy of Ronald Reagan, who, in his first Inaugural Address, pledged that America would “be the exemplar of freedom and a beacon of hope” for oppressed populations around the world.

Trump seems indifferent to, and at times disdainful of, this deeply rooted global commitment. He begs off mentioning human rights publicly, as he did on Sunday, in Riyadh, where he spoke to Arab and Muslim leaders from around the world. “We are not here to lecture,” he said. “We are not here to tell other people how to live, what to do, who to be, or how to worship. Instead, we are here to offer partnership—based on shared interests and values—to pursue a better future for us all.”

But Trump has developed a habit of embracing those whose values are antithetical to our own. He repeatedly expresses admiration for the Russian President, Vladimir Putin. “I do respect him,” Trump told Bill O’Reilly, in February. “But he’s a killer,” O’Reilly said. “There are a lot of killers,” Trump replied. “We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent?”

In early April, Trump welcomed to the White House the Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, a leader who has locked up tens of thousands of his political opponents, decimated the human-rights community, and severely undermined Egypt’s democratic institutions. In their Oval Office meeting, Trump enthusiastically embraced Sisi, calling him “somebody that’s been very close to me from the first time I met him.”

Trump Abandons the Human-Rights Agenda

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL

"But Nana, you don't understand, it's the art of the deal. It's not personal, it's just business believe me I must tell you."

Sincerely,

Your pal Donnie. :eek:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Sisi is an ally. The army runs Egypt. It did when the Muslim Brotherhood was in office on Egypt, too. The Army took out the Muslim Brotherhood when it started to stray into fundamentalism. I gave you an “agree,” bit with the qualifier as to Sisi.

8. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    1. We all agreed we cannot be the world's police force.
    2. Most agree we need to stop meddling I not her countries affairs.
    3. Then some complain that we rant spreading democracy as much as we used to? Seems those things go hand in hand.
    4. We can't be the words police force but we can certainly be it's safe house?

So most countries around the world have far far stricter border control and immigration policies than we do. Mexico especially. So Mexico doesn't want our battered and beaten, our abused, our poor and hungry but has zero problem sending theirs to us. Why is that? Does Mexico realize that all the above can be a financial burden on a country? Does Mexico realize the need to protect its self from being over run?

Why don't we set up transports to the Middle East, China, and India and rescue all those poor mistreated people? Many are children.

I fully understand the plight of the abused. My home has been used as a shelter more than once for those fleeing abusive situations. I have volunteered many many hours at an abuse center playing games with t he kids, reading books etc....But the simple fact is a nation...any nation .... can not and should obligated to....taking in another country tries problems. And yes abuse is a problem for countries. It's a problem for the U.S. and it's a problem for mexico and central America.

Same applies to the poor.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Where are the parents of these 1400 kids and teenagers?

Hey, how about shutting down the facility and sending these 1400 kids to sponsoring families in Chicago, LA, Sanfran, Portland, Seattle, NYC, and Philly? How about Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal?

And a few might like Denver, especially at 4:20 .... who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Har har, now that's funny right there. You left out some college towns that house those dope smoking whacko liberals like Austin, Chapel Hill, umm Gainesville.

11. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Those locations would be fine.

What’s funny ..... why not put the illegals with sponsoring families. Lots of people want to find fault with the current process but never make any effort themselves to improve thereon. Those folks are really just lazy ingrates.

12. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

Don't forget racist...…

we definitely spared them. they should be thankful

13. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    That's actually a pretty darn good idea. I wonder if there are organizations that work with that, or if there are laws that would allow sponsors to take them in legally.

Edit: Well lookie here, there just might be. Good call, man.

Start My Application | SimpleCitizen

14. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

That being said, I'm assuming that you'll be one of the first to sign up as a sponsor?

15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Not right now, I'm still grieving the death of my wife. Perhaps sometime in the future.

16. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Sessions didn't make this up, he is correctly applying the law. Asylum was designed to grant protection to people who could not return to their country because they faced persecution from their government or there is a political reason behind their claim. For example if Iran refuses to prosecute domestic abuse because sharia laws don't protect women, then they would have a claim. If a country is simply lawless and police are ineffective, then this wouldn't be something that is covered. Denial rates for asylum have been going up for several years now as well, predating Trump.

Domestic abuse decision doesn't change asylum law, just applies it correctly