Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Serwer speaks

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Feb 19, 2020.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Great piece. Unfortunately, for Trump supporters, it will fall on deaf ears. They are so interested in "winning", they don't care what the costs are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    The heart of Serwer's article:
    "The insistence, by Cotton and other Trump defenders, that “the Democrats have never accepted that Donald Trump won the 2016 election, and they will never forgive him, either” has it exactly backwards. Democrats impeached Trump to preserve a democratic system in which they have a chance of winning, in which the president cannot blithely frame his rivals for invented crimes. Republicans acquitted him because they fear that a system not rigged in their favor is one in which they will never win again.

On thursday, february 6, millions of Americans went about their lives as they would have any other day. They came home from overnight shifts, took the bus to work, made lunch for their children, cursed the traffic on their commute, or went out for a drink with friends. Yet the nation they live in may have been fundamentally changed the day before".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    This was also incisive:

“Democracies are sustained through the formal process by which power is contested and exchanged. Once that process is corrupted, you have merely the trappings of democracy within an authoritarian regime. Such governments may retain elections and courts and legislatures, but those institutions have no power to enforce the rule of law. America is not there yet—but the acquittal vote was a fateful step in that direction.”

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Thanks for posting this and his other pieces. I very much think he has identified what we are living with. Don't understand the acceptance of this by any Americans

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    This is what America deserves by running two crooked candidates.

And,,,,,, if the democrats nominate another terrible candidate who loses to Trump, they will deserve their whine for four more years.

Thanks a lot Democrats (TNC)
    for making it possible,,, and please don’t cry if it happens again.

This is on y’all too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    What garbage. A GOP enabled president corrupts his office, abuses his power, and you blame Democrats for their nominee 4 years before. Hilary Clinton and her voters in 2016 had nothing to do with Trump’s behavior and the GOPs enablers on 2019 and 2020. Just go about your business supporting Trump and stop blaming Dems for your decisions. Because it is really on you and your fellows, not Dems who chose someone else.

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Was Jill Stein crooked too? Gary Johnson? I wasn't aware of that.

I see now. Stein was corrupt, as a Russian stooge to help get their guy in. Makes sense now

9. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Democrats failed America with their deplorable candidate. She was worse than a carnival barker. But hey,,, we ( I’m a registered Democrat btw) had to break that glass ceiling.

Will we do it again and complain about where we are for another four years? Probably

Rinse and repeat.

Stay tooned

10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    There was a choice between a known enemy and an unknown ally. Dont discount the dem contribution towards the Trump win. If they run Bernie they will have learned nothing. And there is the real scenario where burny bros stay home again. His fervent following seem to be just as destructive to the dems as the radical right is to the pubs. Dems need to give the moderate voters a better choice. That is their responsibility if they want the moderate vote. They failed last time, let's hope they won"t this time

• Like Like x 1
  11. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    If the democrats can’t find someone that can beat Trump,,,,,,

That’s worse than deplorable,,,,, it’s pitiful and pathetic.

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Vote for Trump and you get what you deserve. None of the se candidates are worse than the fringe right president we have now. What people fear is staring them in the face right now. It doesn’t matter who the Dems nominate now.

13. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    I'm a registered R and I didn't vote for the man previously and I won't vote for him this time - no matter who his opponent is. The blame rests entirely on those who voted for him. Anything else is deflection.

14. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    A true moderate Democrat could persuade people like me to vote for them. Unfortunately, I see the farthest left leaning Democrat winning the nomination.

Moderation is dead in American politics

15. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Disagree. The blame is shared when the other choice is bad too.

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    logically yes, emotionally no. people vote based on emotions

17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Registered pub too. People really didn't know what they were getting last time when they voted for Trump. If they vote for him again I would agree with you. I voted Libertarian hoping to get numbers up enough one day to get matching funds and better candidates. I don't think I could vote for Bernie anymore than I could vote for Hillary

18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Then you get Trump. That simple.