Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Series of tornadoes caused catastrophic damage throughout Alabama and Georgia

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Bazza, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    At least 23 lost so far....30 homes damaged.....:(

Football/sports rivalries aside...please join me in sending our SEC neighbors some positive thoughts, prayers, good vibes,.......whatever you can muster.

Godspeed to those lost and their families.....:emoji_pray:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A few years ago, when tornados did serious damage at Auburn, Saban took the Bama football team to the area to help. I thought that was a really classy move. It would be great if other SEC schools could do the same now, without violating some obscure and inane NCAA rule.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Note: my thread was originally posted in the football forum because of our (sports) rivalry with Georgia and Alabama and how tragedies like this transcends sports.

I respectfully disagree with the decision to move this thread to the Pub. It's the off season and a good opportunity to reflect on our relationships with rivals and keep things in perspective.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando

I’m with you. Hell, there’s a thread on Robert Kraft and his arrest for soliciting a prostitute in the Den. I would think this would be ok in there.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. The Auburn area was the hardest hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Thoughts go out to the victims and survivors of that terrible storm. For our Orlando area pubsters, remember the 3 F-4's that rolled through in the 90's? I had happened to fall asleep with the tv on to wake up to breaking news only to hear that that the one that touched on Deer Island Lake and moved on to smash up that those neighborhoods in Winter Garden. It came right over the top of my house, but thankfully it was still airborne at the time. Dodged a big azz bullet. I had an assignment in Kissimmee down by BVL where another one hit and one house was fine, while the house next to it had it's roof torn off and a car in the garage flip turned upside down. Those tornadoes are serious business.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Aftermath: Alabama’s tornado dead range in age from 6 to 89

"BEAUREGARD, Ala. (AP) — The youngest victim was 6, the oldest 89. Relatives said one extended family lost 10 members.

The 23 people killed in the nation’s deadliest tornado in nearly six years came into focus Tuesday with the release of their names by the coroner.

They included 6-year-old Armando Hernandez Jr., known as “AJ,” torn from his father’s arms two days after singing in his first-grade class musical; 10-year-old Taylor Thornton, who loved horses and was visiting a friend’s home when the twister struck; and Jimmy Lee Jones, 89, who perished along with his wife of six decades, Mary Louise, and one of their sons.

“Just keep those families in your prayers,” Lee County Coroner Bill Harris said, two days after the disaster."

Heartbreaking.....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    soo . sad for those families
    I will pray for them

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Bazza