Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Selfishness derails the UF-FSU rivalry (Bianchi Commentary)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Aug 2, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    commentary Mike Bianchi in the Sentinel
    Selfishness derails the UF-FSU rivalry
    A question for Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey, whose league earlier this week announced it will play a 10-game conference-only schedule that effectively killed the Florida-Florida State rivalry for this season.
    In explaining the SEC’s decision earlier this week, Sankey said, “The new schedule supports the safety measures that are being taken by each of our institutions to ensure the health of our campus communities.”
    OK, here’s the question: What does playing a conference-only schedule have to do with safety?
    Actually, I have a second question: How is it safer for the Florida Gators to fly to Arkansas or Texas A&M rather than simply bus to Tallahassee for a game this season?
    The SEC’s unilateral decision to not only kill the Florida-Florida State rivalry but also Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia-Georgia Tech and Louisville-Kentucky is just another example of the selfishness that pervades Power 5 college football. Guys in suits make decisions that rob fans at eight institutions of their most emotional game of the season.
    I realize that these are unprecedented times when all businesses are having to make tough and unpopular decisions. And, yes, we all know that the SEC’s decision for a 10-game season could just be foolish dreaming because there might not even be a college football season. Let’s be real, shall we? If Major League Baseball shuts down — and there are reports that commissioner Rob Manfred is considering shuddering his sport unless teams can better manage the coronavirus — college football is doomed. If professional leagues can’t manage playing a sport outside of a bubble, then the college boys can forget about it.
    But if there is a college football season, the SEC’s decision — which could have easily been avoided — already has sucked much of the joy out it for many Floridians. Florida-Florida State is the most important game in our state. The annual Sunshine State sizzler between Florida’s two most storied and traditional public land-grant institutions has been played for 62 straight years dating to 1958.
    “[Playing] FSU was a priority, but because of where the league landed, we’re not going to be able to do that,” UF athletics director Scott Stricklin said after the SEC made its decision. “We look forward to playing that game every year and have had some success in recent years playing it.
    “We were looking forward to playing [FSU] again this year,” he added. “We’re just not going to because of circumstances beyond our control. We’ve got a virus that has changed a lot of things. This is unfortunately one of them. So really disappointed in that. Wish there was a way we could figure that out, but we’ll respect the decision we made as a league.”
    Actually, there was a way to figure this out, but the SEC majority voted against it. Not because of the ridiculous notion being floated by delusional ACC fans that the SEC is trying to duck the ACC — puh-leeze! — but because 10 of the 14 SEC teams don’t have a traditional rival in the ACC.
    Still, this could have easily been resolved in a number of ways if the conferences had only worked together. Give the ACC credit for doing its best to try to save Florida-Florida State and the three other SEC-ACC rivalries. The day before the SEC made its decision, the ACC announced it would play a 10-game conference schedule but also allow for one nonconference game as long as the nonconference game was played within the state of the ACC institution. It was a clever way to salvage the four traditional ACC-SEC in-state rivalries.
    Or, better yet, the SEC could have played just a nine-game conference schedule and allowed for one nonconference game. And for those 10 SEC teams that don’t have state rivals in the ACC, they could have just taken the last week of the season off … or scheduled another home game against a team from a Group of 5 league … or scheduled a game against another ACC opponent … or even scheduled another SEC game but not counted it in the official conference standings.
    There were multiple ways the SEC and ACC could have collaborated for the common good and worked to give fans the historic, euphoric rivalries they enjoy so much.
    Contrary to popular belief, the Florida-Florida State game was not a victim of the coronavirus.
    It was a victim of the deep-rooted selfishness and every-conference-for-itself mentality that continues to infect big-time college football.
    Email me at mbianchi
    @orlandosentinel.com.
    Hit me up on Twitter
    @BianchiWrites and listen to my Open Mike radio show every weekday from 6 to 9 a.m. on FM 96.9 and AM 740.

• Like Like x 2
  2. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    He rambled a bit and threw everything against the wall, but in general he's not wrong.

A certain beat down by us against the noles this year in Tally will go by the wayside. That's a shame. I guess we can just say we are undefeated against them for three straight years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I wouldn’t characterize the decision as selfish. More like “convenient”. I would have loved the extra game option.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I still say we should play only division games and add fsu at the end if we are still operating at that point. No, Bianchi's not really wrong in terms of what could have been planned and executed, but, the P5 elitism angle is getting old and is based on ucf jealousy of the big boys. Bianchi is just doing what Bianchi does; stirring up the septic tank. So, in other terms; same solid waste, different day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm seeing a bunch of "fairness", "selfishness", "for the good of all" sentiments in the ether. None of which remotely apply to what are business entities looking out for their interests.

Neither the SEC nor UF exist to make things fair nor right nor whole for the ACC, FSU, or any other entity. All this handwringing about tough calls during an uncharted crisis and how fair or selfish things are is asinine to the Nth degree.

It sucks for fans to miss the game, but beyond that it's really what one should expect from a multi-billion dollar industry that is staring at a financial catastrophe. "Selfishness"? Only if you have a child-like understanding of the world or need to get to word count like MikeyB.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Someone needs to tell him that swac is NOT a land grant University. Only UF and FAMU. Of course they probably claim to be one via famu.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Not selfishness, but more like
    SELF-Interest!

Before one can 'help' others (i.e, the Florida - Florida_State game), one must help themselves FIRST (i.e, the SEC, where UF gets their annual revenue)!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    There must be a star in the East. I agree with the short man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    And FSU is not “storied” either. Storied? For what? Burt Reynolds? The list of reasons UF is storied is way too long and familiar to this board, but I’ll list a few - top research university in the country, numerous Governors, Supreme Court Justices and other leaders throughout our state’s history, member of AAU, and every year one of the most dominant sports programs in America: Bonus reason - and our athletic department GIVES money back to the university every year; the Nolies are literally bankrupt. FSU has been pretty decent at football since 1990. What else do they have? Storied? Come on Bianchi...

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I came here to say this. Why does Mike keep saying this?
    I will miss the fsu game this year. I hope they can find some way to play it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    While it would have been great to have the FSU game and the three other SEC games against non conference teams, what about all the other SEC schools playing games that aren't special. Does the SEC bow to a minority? It's easier to control what you can control and you can't control other conferences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bianci is a turd and I wouldn’t click on one of his links if you paid me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Unfortunately I think it’s a mute point. I’ll be very surprised if we are able to play the 10 games. The virus has other plans.

14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Good one D B

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    There's a whole lot of stupid in the world today.

That's all I have to say...

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Perhaps it’s just a coincidence, but Bianchi happens to be right on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Sophomore

Jul 4, 2011
    While I agree for the most part with what Mikey wrote, I cannot help but believe if Alabama were one of the schools with an out of conference rival we would be playing a plus 1. I do despise the sway that they hold over our conference.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Fake news

19. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Ever since the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor in December of 2019, which subsequently created the virus, nothing makes sense. There is no evidence of human to human...wait - it will pass in the night. Well, let me just delete that. I don't think the heavy stuffs coming down for a while...

Bring back college ball...summon the witch doctors to quell the virus, round up the women and children- lets circle the wagons and lets get this puppy going! Come-on baby!

Go Gators!:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This sums up the situation nicely.