Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Secondary

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 30, 2019.

1. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Who are the top returning safeties in this league next year??

His stats are on par with pretty much every senior and early entrant upperclassmen safety. I always liked his game, but it wasn't until I heard Dooley mention that he had the same stats at Delpit, who many consider a first rounder. Shawn Davis had a VERY SOLID year. In really his first year of consistent action. I compare it to Marcell Harris's junior year.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I guess that's why there's only one "Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod".....

Not only did I meet the basic qualifications,....but I read that friggin' manual, and made my pilgrimage to just outside of Macchu Pichu, where a tribal elder gave me some sort of "tea"....and....I freaking aced the exam! (I also watched some trees walk, and about two dozen mushrooms dance.):)

3. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Marco has and we have. Most of Stingley's getting torched was the drive Jefferson had 4 catches against him. It was a master class by Trask and Jefferson. He is perhaps the best route runner in college football. Cant hurt that his father is an NFL receivers coach. I rewatched those reps and Stingley was stride for stride with him.

4. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I love our gator players. But after watching all season I think the issue is more talent than scheme.

especially at safety and nickel. Would the players at those positions play on any other gator teams pre Mullen going back to 2008?

Probably not

no elite top end speed, middling tackling, poor ball skills, average at best instincts in space, and very little recovery ability.

They’ve played hard all year, but just aren’t quite as good as some of our past units. Compound that with mediocre pass coverage from lbs and you have issues in pass defense against good passing offenses.

which is what we saw all year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. florida72

florida72 Freshman

Dec 31, 2019
    I never thought that our DBs would be like this. It's weird because UF led the conference in INTs but got absolutely abused against LSU, UGA and UVA.

6. WC53

WC53 Senior

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    We only have pass rush against poorer teams, the db feast on the pressure and horrible throws. Better teams handle the rush and abuse our DB. There have been free running receivers all year and we have gotten lucky due to poor throws.

Love the Gators but I am quite sure CDM is well aware of this too. Not bashing, it is just what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Next year the light comes on. Maybe.

8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I did not think that our safety play or LB play was all that great against the pass. I don't blame it on coaching. It's a talent issue IMO.

9. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    If it's just youth, maybe it can be like 2007 and when a few pieces were added, and after some off-season experience, the entire Defense took a giant leap in 2008