Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Secondary

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 30, 2019.

1. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Possibly, but he tucked his tail from us, committed to Oregon, then quickly left UO and committed to a TERRIBLE uSC. Too many "what-ifs" for me to have an opinion on him.

2. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    A kid listening to too many voices and reading to many opinions.

3. thug-gator

thug-gator Recruit

Sep 10, 2017
    WHAT ARE WE COMPLAINING ABOUT, WE WON THE GAME. We had not played a game in over a month, with the Holidays in between there is going to be some rust to work off. Please stop putting down our players and coaching staff, I hope that no recruit we are after reads this board and see how some of you talk about our players. I would like to see some of you arm chair DB's and safeties go and walk on and show us all how it should be done!

4. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Huh?

I think Elam is really good, but let's not get carried away here.

Um, no.

5. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No DB is going to make every play. All you can ask is that they be in the right position. Anyone expecting the DBs we had on the field last night to compare favorably with Stingley is sadly mistaken. That guy is a freak NFL caliber CB right now and is better than anyone we have.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    No fan base suffers winning as much as Florida fans, it seems.

7. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe 4 and 3 years respectively (which qualifies as a 'few years') since they have been here. I'm pretty sure if hypothetically we took our secondary and plugged in a player like Delpit at safety we would see much much different results. Per my previous post, IMO it's very difficult to compare secondaries when their is a glaring difference of talent level at one or two positions. I understand that part of CDM & Grantham's job is bringing in those players, however I was specifically referring to scheme.

8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    The last two classes are what our defense has to be built around for the next 3 years. Almost everything before those two cycles is either deficient in talent or has not developed despite having coaches that are teaching coaches.
    Dean in his freshman year was light years behind Elam's performance this year as a true freshman CB. Dean continued his streak of games of never looking back to locate a ball in air. Dean has not regressed. He just is what he has been.
    I wish it were true, but Stingley has the kind of athleticism with speed and instincts that only comes around every few years. Elam is a great freshman CB, but he is nowhere near Stingley. If we had Stingley, Marco would have been on the bench or playing Star earlier.

9. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    He was most certainly not the best CB from last year. It is not close with Stingley, and Elam is better as well. He has gotten burnt a lot this year at USC. That being said I still think he could have been useful to us this year.

10. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    At least read the whole sentence. "We seem to have a good freshman corner in 5 so even by this ridiculous logic Grantham isn't too far behind Aranda..." I was not suggesting that Grantham was actually behind Aranda.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    go back and watch the videos of practice. He was getting WORKED by our WR group. Don't think he would've been better than Elam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Now,
    C'mon, man... this raises a couple things...

1; It was a general statement...
    There were several people sayng the same thing about "DBU", so I was casting a wide net there.....

2; If I was saying the same thing as you, then why post this in the first place??....

Oh, by the way...
    3; I was reading collge textbooks when I was in the 1st grade.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    A bit nervous about DL. I have to believe we kill it between now and Feb 2021 on DL be it transfers, new commits or unholy resurrections, clones, exorcisms and androids.

14. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    how do you reach "Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod" status? #2020goal

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    And if you had quoted any of the people saying the thing about "DBU" instead of the post making the same exact point you were making then your "general statement" would have made sense...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

You have to go through a very rigorous process.....you have to;

Adhere to and enforce the Gator Country rules and guidelines...
    Monitor the forums at least 17 hours a day...
    Be of somewhat of a sound mind...
    Enjoy Clqssic Rock, SmoothJazz, and Ella Fitzgerald....
    Floss daily.....
    Eat your Wheaties...
    Sleep next to your "Always on" Galaxy S-10+.....
    Take long walks off of short piers.....
    Enjoy regular bowel movements....
    Wear Gator gear in the shower.....
    Never forget to feed your Macaw.....
    Have plenty of beer on hand for game day....

Oh, yeah....

YA' GOTTA BLEED ORANGE AND BLUE!!!

NOTE:..
    Those are only the basic qualifications.....
    If you qualify, then you will recieve you very own, 1,878 page "Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod" manual to study.....
    There will then be an on-site exam, located about 75 miles from Maccu Pichu.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018

Nice!

18. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  19. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    O-line, and more particularly run blocking as the year went along, was our recognized and talked about weakness all year long. But the reality is the difference between our team and the playoff teams was both the run blocking of the O-line and our secondary play. It was not up to snuff.

I thought corner play was better than safety/nickel play most of the year, but still not great. Even CJ didn't have a great year for him. Nobody ever excelled in the star/nickel position.

I think we will be o.k. next year at corner. Not only do we have Elam, with Kimbrough looking promising, but true freshman can often step in and play corner. The safety and star/nickel spots is where I worry. I wouldn't be surprised to see super talented freshman stepping into big roles right away -- and potentially becoming playmakers. But if freshman are playing a lot at those safety spots we can probably expect some mistakes from them which are costly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I
    I saw Stingley against 3 elite QBs: Trask, Tua, and Fromm (even though he had a down year). Trask literally targeted him on a couple of drives. Tua also put in work. Mind you, that secondary was filled with first draft draft picks, and they all were getting torched during the first two-thirds of the season. I do agree that Stingley is special, but if Marco got worked like Stingley did on multiple occasions, this board would destroy him more than they already have.

I love Elams skill set. We'll see who's best next year when he gets to play the whole season.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1