Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Secondary

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 30, 2019.

1. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    Virginia's QB and receivers would make any DBs look bad........ that QB dude was very good.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    While they didn't play great last night, I'm high on our DBs. Also, it's important to note that not all of those 323 yards were on our DBs. There were also a couple of times the QB should've been sacked. Shawn Davis is possibly the best returning safety in the league. Elam is just as good as Stingley (IMO, just without as much playing time). Kimbrough and Jayson Hill are some really nice prospects, in addition to the kids we signed in recruiting.

I will admit I was slightly disappointed in Brad Stewart. Just thought he would be that Hawk we needed, but got about what we always got. Suspension, great play here & there, then just a bunch of average play, no difference maker. Hopefully he has an amazing senior year.

Still DBU! Go Gators!!

3. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    who is tae Williams?

4. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 All American

Oct 9, 2011
    Marco's tackling problem stems from a lack of desire. You can tell he does not like getting physical and taking people to the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Read

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Where was Davis last night? I didn't see him much, did he get hurt?

Agree on Stewart. He makes some huge plays (against LSU, Tennessee pick where he jumped out of the sky) but maybe injuries are what is hurting him. I swear the man has a steak knife in his knee that just randomly stabs him and he somersaults onto the ground in agony once a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Our best defensive back is a true freshman. This is the main reason I'm willing to hold off with my judgement of Grantham until he can get some legit talent back there. Personnel-wise, we are so freaking overrated. On top of that, Greenard was hobbled and we know Zuniga wasn't full strength. I had flashbacks to Georgia watching this game. Very frustrating. Trask was off too. All considered, glad we won the game. We never trailed in the game.

11-2 and Go Sun Devils!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well history is full of ex-Gators who thought the same thing but jumped early only to flame out and end up either in prison for ponzi schemes or as car salesmen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    The secondary is too inconsistent....they make plays and then look totally lost and give up easy plays or can't make a tackle or a play with the ball in the air. Some pieces are there but they need some upgrades to be able to win the SEC or a national championship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    I can see Dan Mullen building Florida the way Dabo built Clemson. Slow and steady wins the race my friends. Clemson had SOME talent with the Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, CJ Spillers of the world just like we've had the Van Jeffersons, Perines, and Greenards of the world. Clemson stuck with him and Dabo stuck with his coaching staff for much longer than 2 years before they became elite.

I crush Grantham all the time, but I am choosing to look at this from the perspective mentioned above. Maybe this will pan out the same way....

11. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Aranda has Thorpe award winner Grant Delpit at safety. Nothing further needs to be said re Aranda. IMO, we have have been lacking an elite saftey for a few years. If and when that issue is resolved, we all will see a much better performance out of our pass coverage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Help is on the way at CB and safety as well as a return man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    We really have. Keanu Neal and Marcus Maye were the last great ones. I can't think of any impactful ones since then.

14. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't know who is to blame, but I do know our secondary play was one of the weaker links on this team.

Was it the scheme? Looked like it to me, as we seemed to play a lot of zone. I hate hate HATE the zone. A good QB and OC can pick a part the zone. Is Grantham sold on the zone, or is he concerned we don't have the talent to play man. I don't know.

If we want to take the next step, we are going to have to get better secondary.

But I will take this win, and this season's outcome and be happy. Dan has this program on the right track.

15. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I'm pretty much ready for an overhaul of that unit. Thought they would have been better this year.

16. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    He played and played well. Had one really nice hit that I can remember.

17. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    All I know is 5 has got game for days. Kid seems to have his uncles drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    We had busted coverages in that game too. Most we're not capitalized on because of bad throw a by Nix. It has been a problem all year

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I'll give them a pass this year due to so much youth and the nagging injuries. But so frustrating watching them just let a WR/TE/RB make a catch that they could have easily broken up, just to also miss the tackle.

We're adding some great pieces on D with this class, so I do believe next season the D will be technically much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    We signed the number 1 cornerback in the country last year but he left after a couple weeks. I remember reading a lot of noise about why Steele left but if he was here our secondary would have been better.