Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Secondary

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by willymayshayes, Dec 30, 2019.

1. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    The secondary will absolutely be 100% better next year: Pouncy (may start opposite Elam) Rogers (also starter material) McDaniel at safety and possibly Tae Williams who is an easy 5-star and most definitely going to be in the NFL one day. We needed this too.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More context here ....

I’m actually a believer in Grantham. Our players are just not able to execute yet. Dean? Hello!?!?! Elam is the only player who is legit as of now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Was going to say same thing. He Can’t seem to tackle.

4. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    It seemed to me that Perkins could complete a pass just about any time he needed to. I really got tired of watching open Virginia receivers in the middle of 4-5 Gator defenders. We looked like we were playing patty cake instead of SEC football.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Umm...OK....

Kindly tell me where anybody was referring to us as "DBU" today????

It's time to get over the Gator bashing.....
    We friggin; WON....
    Dsn the Man got his 11th win in only his 2nd season....

Geez....the saying rings way to true.....
    Nobody suffers a win like Gator fans.

6. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

There's far too much "Grantham bashing" going on on a freaking Gator forum...
    Geez...you would think that we had something like the bottom defense in the Country the way too many folks spew here....

We're 11-2....And have a top 10 recruiting class coming in..with some more emphasis on the defense...

If the Gators start degrading to a 7 or 8 win team, with the fault lying solely on the defense...than we can come back and discuss this....but, until then....

Lay off our Florida Gators Coaches

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We played some soft zone tonight and rotated in some players. I think our problem is safety play, as you never see them deflecting a pass, breaking up a pass, or making an interception. Just too slow. Need injection of height and speed at the safety position. Mordecai speed should help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We’ve recruited 9(?) DB past two cycles. Give it some time. Our numbers at least look good.

9. steveGator52

steveGator52 All American

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    But the defense and secondary play cost us a chance at the playoffs this year. The fact that we beat the teams we were supposed to beat means little if we can’t beat the teams which are equal/better/more talented.

The defense let the offense down in the LSU game. Both sides of the ball let down against UGA, but the defense still had a chance to get the ball back for the offense to try to tie the game, but couldn’t stop UGA on a third and long. The secondary has not performed up to the level expected with the talent on hand.

Grantham may be a defensive genius, but if he can’t get the players to execute, it’s on him. He likes to play zone, but our players don’t execute zone at a very high level.

Contrast that with LSU, who had no problem sticking a true freshman in tight man to man coverage, and he produced turnovers. I question if Grantham’s defense is the right fit for the college level, as you only get so much time to practice and teach the concepts.

• Winner Winner x 6
  10. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Can't tell if you quoted the wrong person or if you just failed at reading. Either way you're saying the same thing as me.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  11. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    So your argument is that Grantham sucks because LSU has a good freshman corner? We seem to have a good freshman corner in 5 so even by this ridiculous logic Grantham isn't too far behind Aranda...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. steveGator52

steveGator52 All American

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    No. My argument is Aranda puts his players in a better position to succeed by allowing them to play their db positions without too much thinking. Tight man to man is easier to do than zone defenses with switching and the like and multiple responsibilities.

The main difference between the two is Grantham likes to play soft zone while Aranda plays tight man to man. I don’t seem to remember LSU having as many broken coverages in the secondary as we did, do you? How complicated is it to line up across from the opposing player and follow him everywhere he goes on the field? Versus soft zone with different responsibilities, which is more complicated to learn.

Case in point is the last UVA TD. 25 was following his receiver when his receiver crossed with another UVA receiver. The db on the other receiver took 25’s receiver and had him in tight man to man, while 25 froze, and only reacted to the crossing receiver when the ball was in the air, which is too late. So 25 got confused by the two receivers crossing, and wasn’t even rubbed off.

So sometimes simpler is better.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    No, he said we don’t win the big games. We win what we are supposed to win and somehow guys like Aranda made it work in big games even with freshman like Stingley in key positions. I think we are all happy with 11 wins. Here’s the problem: we are tired of hearing how our defense doesn’t have this or lacks this. Talent wise this defense is loaded with:

2 nfl edge guys w Zu and JG

Moon and Carter will both be Sunday guys.

Slaton and Campbell Sunday guys

Reese a tackling machine

CJ, Marco, Stewart, and S. Davis all NFL guys.
    By my count that’s 10 upper class men that will play in the league and that’s not counting Reese, who is definitely a very good college LB. He could very well sign as an UDFA. Even if I’m wrong on one guy that’s a ton of talent and that’s not projecting out on young stars like Bogle, Diabate, or Elam.
    Point is that this defense has a ton of talent on it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    That’s the problem......your last sentence...”isn’t too far behind”...still behind and not better or in front. By that logic being 2nd or 3rd is ok. This year we “aren’t too far behind Georgia”. Will that be ok next year?

15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I mentioned this in another thread, but this game makes me think that the defensive issues really are on more than just Grantham...

Guys were in positions to make plays against Virginia... they just didn’t do it for most of the night... not sure how much is Grantham, overrated secondary, or lack of scheme fit, or all of the above...

I lean towards all of the above because every defense we’ve had in the last ten years has had weaknesses... but the good coordinators were always experts in concealing those weaknesses... this secondary is talented on paper, and I would’ve liked to see these guys play closer to the line of scrimmage in press coverage to see what happens... is it a risk? Yes, especially with our lack of quality safety play... but I’d rather take a shot at that and play to what I would think are the strengths of our corners, than have opposing teams bleed us slowly but relatively consistently...

16. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Certainly, there will be great competition in the Spring. I am looking forward to seeing both Kimbrough and Hill with a year in the system.

Dean was last year's Elam. The coaches need to see why he regressed and is his future at safety as some have speculated?

Curious as to where Burney's future lies with the departure of Reese. Does he bulk up to play linebacker or compete for the Star job with Wilson?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Virginia's receivers made the secondary look worse than it was. Their receivers made some all pro catches.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. alvaro319

alvaro319 Freshman

Sep 10, 2018
    Marco Wilson allowed that prayer of a TD heave to be answered in the 1st quarter, didn't make the tackle to prevent a first down, and almost got burned by a slower player and simultaneously dropped a pick.... he needs to stay to improve his tackling skills and play the ball better. He definitely had a down year compared to his freshman year. The safeties are average at best. None of them made any plays. All too often they are blowing coverages or getting burned. Inexcusable.

19. robertgator

robertgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Stopped playing Nix, maybe?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Corner is fine.....Hill and Kimbrough will step in nicely. Elam only issue was slipping down several times on a slick turf.
    Burney and Stewart were the 2 guys that really struggled in coverage last night (Houston and Dean both gave up one huge chunk play). Hopefully Burney was mostly rust, I've about given up on Stewart though. Really hoping Dean gets moved to safety for next year alongside Stiner