Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SECCG/ESD/Heisman/ Coaching Changes

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 25, 2020.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Guys, I been laying low, I'm on my break and this is not how I wanted to spend it. The last few days in bed (alone) have been boring but I've not felt like doing a thing until yesterday.

Most of this is not particularly recruiting related but if you adhere to the thought that anything pertaining to the program could be related to recruiting in some way then you will get this.

I re watched the SECCG and came away with the feeling that UF could have won that game. This in spite of another mundane (I'm being kind) defensive game plan. Regardless of the outcome UF has emerged as must see tv and I suspect UF Vs OU will be the most watched bowl game outside of the playoff games. Despite the media Bama love fest including UF alumni Timmy Tebow and laura Rutledge, UF is back on the top tier with recruits once again.

Heisman: If Trask does not win the award and with his stats he should, lay at least some blame to the aforementioned UF alumni who in desperate attempts to not seem partial to UF cannot find it within themselves to support a fellow Gator. It actually made me want to write both of them a letter telling them how weak they looked. If you can't tell, it pissed me off. Regardless, the legend of Dan as a QB whisperer continues to grow. Another positive in recruiting.

Kyle Pitts: top 10 in Heisman voting, top 3 for Biletnikoff award and first TE taken in the draft. Again what an opportunity to become a magnet for top TE's. Potential massive recruiting tool. How UF continues to develope the current TE's will be huge in recruiting.

ESD: UF lost out on a couple they hoped to get. I've done some projected class finishes and as far as postion by position UF will upgrade every position group but one and thats at TE. Nothing against the two UF signed but you can't upgrade a position that is losing a TE, the likes of which we may not see again. At least us older guys.
    Losing Trask is a wait and see but overall I think the QB room will be an upgrade. Don't sit on Kitna, he may have progressed more his Sr. year than any QB in the country. I'm counting Bowman as an upgrade at RB and I don't know that UF is done at WR. Getting Leigh would be an upgrade on OL and make this a pretty decent OL group. Losing Langston did not bother me too much. Apparently the staff is very high on Sapp. Boone could be the surprise of the class and the two big guys in the middle are pretty good IMO. UF needs a strong finish and I think they can get one.

Watching the new hires around the SEC, here is my initial grade on each. Noneof them scare me for sure.

Auburn: Bryan Harsin, hiring a coach with no recruiting ties to the sec is risky. As this was unfolding, I said grab the popcorn, this could turn into UT part 2. Maybe that's what Auburn thought also. Lesson, never fire a coach unless you have a plan for his replacement. Harsin may do well in time but he will soon find out like Dorothy, that he is not in Boise anymore. He will in year one face Kiffen, Leach, Saban, Ed O, Pittman and Fisher. 3 of those coaches have won NC's, Two have coached on teams that won or played for an NC. Auburn may have the weakest coach in the division right now.

SC: Shane Beamer, may have been about the best the Gamecocks could do. His name carries some value and Beamer has the ability to put together a good staff. He has already taken UT OL coach Will Friend. Beamers challenge will be the same as anyone else at that job. Recruiting against Clemson, UGA, Mack Brown and others.

Vandy: Clark lea, let's be honest it probably doesn't matter. Vandy had to move on from Mason as the program was getting worse. Clark Lea, will IMO do everything in his power to make Vandy relevant. He has said all the right things and Vandy could not have made a better hire than Clark Lea.

Changes at UF: wait and see? I'm afraid if there are not a change or two on staff that as Zook said, the noise in the system could get really loud.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. g8r925

g8r925 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 10, 2009
    Immokalee,fla
    Great read as always candy, hope you feel better and merry Christmas

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Merry Xmas Candy. Thanks for the insight and hope all is well your way

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I think Harsin's a really good coach, but recruiting in the SEC is so ungodly intense that it's a huge adjustment for someone who isn't used to it. Even Meyer admitted that he was unprepared for the relentlessness of SEC recruiting after he got here, and Meyer is such an intense person he has literally set off explosions in his brain on multiple occasions.

I'm a Chiefs fan, so my fantasy is for Pitts to somehow fall to the end of the first round. Can't imagine it happening, but every year there's some bizarre, vague, unsubstantiated whisper campaign that causes some great prospect to plummet. Maybe we can start some vague rumors about Pitts not being a good teammate? He was drunk before the LSU game, NFL teams!

5. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Talk about selfish. I hope he goes as high as possible. The guaranteed contract dollar difference for a high first round pick versus low is humongous. He deserves every dollar he can get. And it’s GREAT for recruiting imagine if he actually was selected 4th or 5th overall which I’m calling I wouldn’t be surprised at all.. That may never happen again for a TE and we can become Tight End U. Luckily what you are saying you hope happens has no chance whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    The defense needs a shakeup if nothing else. Doing the same things we have been doing, dbs twenty yards off the ball on third and three, only one lb in the middle when teams run on us or our DL rushing three on most third downs, is not winning any awards or good reviews. Florida has always had tough defenses and great talent, which can’t be excused for poor tackling and being out of position based on down and position on the field. The last couple of years, I thought we only ran a prevent defense, which all teams that play us just throw under us and gain first downs at will. With Cox at defensive end, I don’t know if he is coached to run so far outside, but any play that turns inside has gaping holes. When teams run at him, he looks way to light to physically stop them and most times doesn’t. He needs to add trunk weight if he is going to be effective. Sapp next year is a stud and has a build for creating havoc, also Umanmeilen who I thought would get more chances.
    We can do better with change! Dan you hear me?

7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Add Smart as the permanent division rival. Brutal lineup of coaches compared to his usual. I think he will do well X’s and O’s wise but he will need the Jessie’s and the Joe’s too...

CDM Hot Seat: I struggle to believe it BUT Pat MacMahon went from writing his own check to fired in 2 years in large part because he wouldn’t let Jeremy Foley tell him what to do with his staff (at least that is the unofficial story from what I know). Maybe Strickland is similar but I doubt it given Strickland’s relationship with CDM.

I still believe CDM is smart and will do what needs to be done. We shall see.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

“CDM Hot Seat”? Seriously? Put down your crack pipe and GTFO with that horseshit

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. gatorntuscaloosa

gatorntuscaloosa Premium Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Maybe some of you folk need balance in your perspective. OBVIOUSLY right now it is pretty hard to imagine any hot seat talk for the Coach. BUT, what IF the 11-2 record of last year turns out to be the high water mark ? What IF he stubbornly clings to the staff that he has in place and this years record is in essence replicated the next 2 years hamstrung by D’s that give up almost as many points as the O scores or the O continues to not be able to gain ONE YARD rushing the ball when it is critical ? Now hopefully things don’t turn out any of these latter ways. But if we have ‘average’ seasons the next two beyond this, there is no way that there WILL NOT be some heat building underneath the seat. Here’s hoping that Dan sees that continuing to do with the same old cast is only going to produce the same results and he does something about it. We’ll see in the next few days/weeks.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

I am not the one that said he was on the Hot Seat. Candy mentioned if changes didn’t happen, the seat would warm. I agree with you. I don’t see how his seat warms in the near future.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Where the hell is my funny button damn it. I needs it right now:D:devil::p:D

12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    right. What if next year we lose to Bama, LSU, and UGA. Then what? We still content with 10-3 in year 4???

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Without addressing our los, yes there is a problem. Progress doesn’t have to be measured singularly by wins and losses. Build that roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And yes, learn to tackle and not look like a high school defense. Bamas d looked good giving up 46 to us, we looked terrible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What if Mullen is content with his $6+ million per year contract and after that he doesn’t care.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    exactly. I pointed out to my bro last night that Bama’s defensive backs are ELITE in form tackling. They break down, wrap up, drive back and/or roll so beautifully when they have to tackle

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    I put that in the bama/nd game thread! Establish leverage, square up, make contact, and bring down (drive or roll). Our dBs are so often out of position that they are just diving at guys. When none of your dBs Form tackle it’s bad coaching.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    yep which is what Gray needs to be faulted for (bad tackling). The 46 they gave up didn’t FEEL bad because they were never in the wrong D etc. we just won the 50/50 plays

19. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    I'm perfectly fine with 10-3 or 11-2 being the norm with the occasional playoff challenge. Just need better performance on defense and we'll be fine.

20. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    That's fine with me, especially the way everyone is lamenting the direction of the program. lol