Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SEC Shorts - Bama fan still wishes they had hired Rich Rod

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 14, 2021.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    HK sighting.

"Heather Kerkins"...LOL

I'm just sayin'...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    ha ha. Hilarious. Sounds like ...errr...some fans I know. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 All American

Aug 30, 2020
    Funny, though it would have been a good hire at the time. Landing Saban was luck. They could have just easily got a Will Muschamp or a Lane Kiffin. RRod may have done a decent job there, too; though nothing like Saban. He probably with have been a Gus Malzahn. Moderately successful and fired after 8-9 years.

5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Funny. It's hard to say what kind of success RichRod would have had at Alabama. Saban wins by getting the top recruiting classes year after year, and hiring failed head coaches for top coordinator positions. Sarkisian always had a very good offensive mind, and had good offenses wherever he went. Give him Alabama talent, and a chance to re-invent himself at Alabama, and it's a great recipe for success.

RichRod's has his own system, and despite what the guy in the video says, it works. RR took over a 3-9 Arizona team that ranked in the bottom in the PAC in many offensive categories, and took Arizona to 5 bowl games in 6 years, and ranked either #1 or #2 in rushing offense every year. RR left Arizona with a .56 winning percentage, and wasn't fired because his teams weren't performing on the field, but rather because RR ran the football office like Dom Draper. Not a good look in the "me too" era.

Too bad, too, because Sumlin came in after RR and ruined Khalil Tate. Sumlin went 5-7 his first year, with a bad loss to start against an average BYU team, and even worse loss to ASu to end the season. With RR, Arizona likely wins both games, and finished at least 7-5, and goes bowling again.

RR at Alabama? May have worked. May not have, especially since RR recruits specifically for his style, which includes smaller, quicker receivers. And RR tends to neglect the defensive side of the ball. But make no mistake. Had RR been able to be a 21st Century man, he'd still be employed in Tucson.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 All American

Aug 30, 2020
    I disagree with you somewhat. Most of the head coaches Saban hires are not "failed." Getting fired as a HC doesn't make you a failure, except in the minds of judgemental sports fans. And a minority of his full time assistants have been former head coaches.

Also, no one knows for sure how Saban wins. Getting the best players is part of it. Saban is an amazing judge of talent. But there is an entire administrative dimension to coaching football the average fan pays no attention to: operations, player development, media, recruiting (coordinating). The top coaches are as cognizant of the administrative side as they are the coaching side--working 18-20 hours a day in some cases. Saban runs a well oiled machine, that no one can duplicate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. abc1234

abc1234 All American

Sep 26, 2010
    Of course it can’t be that simple considering he won an SEC championship and Sugar Bowl his 2nd season at LSU (after they’d gone 4-7 and 3-8 the last two seasons under Gerry DiNardo) mostly with players he didn’t recruit. Bama went undefeated in the regular season his 2nd year (with only 2 starters he recruited), then went undefeated and won a natty his 3rd. His assistants were all no-names at the time.

8. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You don't get to be coach at Alabama without earning your stripes. Saban certainly did at Michigan State and LSU. But it is that easy now at Alabama for Saban. Gets whatever player he wants, and former fired head coaches flock to Tuscaloosa to be the next Saban reclamation project. And most of these coaches were successful coordinators before losing their head coaching job.

9. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    The act of getting fired is a failure, unless you were trying to get fired.

This applies to every job.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 All American

Aug 30, 2020
    The event of getting fired could be viewed as a failure. I don't think it renders that coach a failure or "failed." Especially in coaching where it's very possible to be a do decent job under the circumstances and still get fired.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So the episode is all about kicking a guy when he's down? This was the weakest 'short in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 All American

Aug 30, 2020
    Prior to Saban, Alabama's standards were no higher than any other top 15 school. Mile Riley from Oregon State turned them down. And you are confusing successful with easy. Alabama got embrassed in the 2018 title game by Clemson and by Auburn in 2019. It took a massive effort to get back to the top spot. The BS Saban deals with on a daily basis: non-stop academic, legal, financial, and psychiatric problems with his players; fights between coaches; possible NCAA violations; staff who aren't hacking it, problems non-stop. He has qualified people to handle these issues, but the buck stops with him. Saban doesn't have at least 2x as many rings as any other coach in the last 20 years only because of his players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Not their best work but HK makes it worth watching.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Montanagator

Montanagator All American

Dec 13, 2009
    Gotta hand it to Saban. He's definitely got a plan for winning. The one thing about his players is that they are team players. They are the most focused group I've watched.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree. Most of Saban's players wouldn't even know how to throw a shoe. Saban's players are just focused on all the wrong things, like winning. We have the best shoe thrower in college football.

17. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Help me here
    , what and who is the Heather Kerkins thing about. I’m missing something obvious aren’t I

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Was this real or a joke? I truly can’t tell. It looked like a poorly acted skit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Satire, of course. I thought it was pretty funny. The joke is on delusional fans, which every school has.