Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

SEC scheduling can use some work (Pat Dooley Column)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Oct 3, 2019.

1. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Now that we know 16 team conferences aren't going happen it's better to kick teams out, the SEC should not be doubled down in Tennessee or Mississippi and shouldn't be in Missouri at all, 12 was the right number.

2. The greedy SEC wanted the St. Louis and KC TV markets (a joke; they are NFL strongholds even though the Rams left) and the pointy heads liked misery's academics. There is absolutely no other reason to let them in, despite the fact that much of that state is as Dogpatch rural and backward as KY or MS.

That, and the fact that they were not West Virginia. WVU was closer to the South, had a better overall athletic program, brought VA/DC/PA TV markets, had ties to the East teams and wanted that spot BADLY. The SEC put misery in to fill the hole with "someone else" very pointedly to keep WVU out, because the bluebloods could not stomach what they thought of as hillbilly couchburners.

A poorly thought out decision that is affecting scheduling all across the league. Think of the travel ramifications for the minor sports...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I am OK with 14 teams...but we should have gone all in for NC State or Va Tech and told Mizzou to join Conference USA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I like Mizzou as they are a great natural rival to Arkansas. They fit in fine in the WEST!!! Auburn should be in the East and Mizzou in the West. Bama’s influence (read control) is absurd. Auburn could play UF and UGA every year in the East and Bama as their permanent West. Yes that means Aubs doesn’t play LSU every year but so what. And Bama loses UT but again, so what. That is hardly a rivalry anyway for about 30 years.

If NCST or VT (or both) are added, the conference will have to go to a 4 team 4 pod system in my eyes. 8 on each side is absurd for an 8 game schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    Mizzou plays Arkansas and Ole Miss this year while we play Auburn and LSU. Cross division games can go away as far as I'm concerned. I would prefer rotating two teams from the west so we can play more west teams more often.

6. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Sophomore

Aug 21, 2009
    Florida
    The Roommate Switch

This pod format solves all problems and allows every team to play home and away vs every other team in a 4 year span, all players that do 4 years will be able to play in every SEC stadium

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I can't believe people actually believe Mizzou wasn't a good addition to the SEC. It wasn't the home run TAMU was, but Mizzou is a really good academic school with a decent athletics program that's fits the SEC very well. Granted, they would be a better logistic fit in the SEC West, but that was a temporary (hopefully) compromise to get the addition done. I can only assume those same people would consider UCF to be a better candidate.

I also can't believe anyone is seriously suggesting the SEC ditch anybody.

And I see no reason to believe the SEC won't ultimately expand to 16 teams. They may be happy at 14, but when the Pac-12 jumps to 14 or 16 and destabilized the Big-12, I think the Big-10 and SEC will both expand to 16.

8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

The Big 12 better get it's stuff together....

It's pretty ridiculous to call them that when they can't even field 12 teams.

9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Going to 9 games means half the conference gets an extra home game every year. Not a fan of that, makes for an unfair advantage. I would rotate the west opponents also. Bama wants to play UT every yr, let em schedule it as an out of conference game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So many smart responses to this topic. I don't think I've read a better collection of posts on GC. Around the time of the most recent expansion, there was much talk of the 16-team super conference and many people seemed to be on board with that model. I was like
    [​IMG]
    Without a sizable playoff field, that idea would (to put it mildly) compromise the chances of teams that play big boy schedules, let alone teams like FL, that play ridiculous schedules. I find it refreshing that so many prefer the 12-team conference. 14 isn't bad, but a) let's not allow continued conference expansion to bust teams' chances and extinguish rivalries and b) let's improve scheduling using some of the great suggestions share in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    This x100. I don't like the 9th conference game, it increases the chances that 1) the division champ is affected by (unequal) cross division matchups, and 2) that the SECCG is a rematch of a regular season game that year. I'd rather keep that game open as a potential slot for better OOC game, prefereably with a rule limiting teams to no more than 2 non-power 5 OOC games (with exemptions for teams like Boise and UCF).

12. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    For all those people who complain about cupcake games, here's the irony of a 9 game SEC schedule, assuming the NCAA adds a 13th regular season game.

It would actually give UF the opportunity to schedule those major OOC home-and-home series that everyone says they want, while still giving us the 7 home games in BHG we need revenue from.

As far as concerns over some teams having an extra conference home game, what you might see is a push to move some of the conference rivalry games back to neutral sites (ie - Iron Bowl back in Birmingham, Egg Bowl in Jackson).

I don't think the SEC has any desire to expand right now but if/when the Pac-12 destabilizes the Big-12, I think that if the opportunity arises to add somebody like OU, they'll consider it. And I don't think the SEC will lead a drive to add a 9th conference game, but the Big-12 and the Big-10 are already playing a 9 game conference schedule, so before long there will be a push for the SEC and ACC to do the same.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well it is a good article if Will Sammon hadn't gotten it earlier in the week for the athletic. Typical Dooley. .. putting in the hard work.

14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I know football drives the train, but other sports are important too.
    And IMO 14 teams is too many, and 16 is even worse.

It won't change, so it doesn't matter, but perhaps Mizzou can go to the West one day.

And if it makes anyone feel better- the ACC is even worse.
    14 teams with almost nothing in common (Pitt and UNC? Syracuse and Georgia Tech?) and then ND is added in all other sports but football.
    Dumbest thing ever.

15. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Under Stricklin UF is already moving away from the 7 home games or death plan, neutral site games vs Michigan in 17 and Miami this year, on the road at USF in 21, Utah in 23, Miami in 25, Colorado in 29 and Texas in 31.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    That didn't get moved because of the extra home game. That got moved because Veterans Memorial Stadium makes Legion Field look like Jerry World and is only marginally safer after dark than Sana'a, Yemen.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. The ABSURDITY of the notion that Legion Field is safer than any other given spot on this planet, or a better stadium...:rolleyes:

Not doubting how bad Jackson is but I assure you that Legion Field will NEVERNEVERNEVER EVER again host an Iron Bowl no matter who is designated the "home" team. The upper deck was condemned and dismantled years ago as unsafe, the surrounding area is as bad as it gets, and the 2 schools want home-and-home for recruiting purposes.

gump will give up Tennessee as a yearly foe before they go back there... which is to say, NEVER.

18. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Here is a creative solution called the roommate switch. Every four year player goes home and away with every team in the conference. Here’s how it works:

The Roommate Switch

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    I wasn't suggesting that the Iron Bowl should; you have to read the entire post to which I was responding. While I appreciate the spirit of nostalgia, it cracked me up seeing playing at VMS up there.

But as far as comparisons and saying (in all caps no less) that I was being absurd, you don't sound like you've spent much time in Jackson. I grew up in the Jackson area, and I've been to Birmingham a lot back when I was a touring musician in this or that struggling little band. Like a lot of things in MS, one thing that gets overlooked is just how violent Jackson is. Back when I was gigging in the deep south a lot when I was kid and playing around these places, west Jackson was bad enough that we usually had at least one or two people stand at the truck with shotguns and rifles just to show anyone who might take an unhealthy interest that we weren't worth the trouble.

While B'ham wasn't somewhere I'd want to walk around at night by myself at the time and always kept an eye looking over my shoulder, I never felt quite as threatened as good ole Jackson. We even had a breakdown incident not far from Legion Field back in 2001. Wasn't fun, wouldn't want my mom or my sister to have been in the situation, but definitely wasn't the worst place I ever had to fix a car.

I get B'ham was and still is rough in places, but anyone who calls saying Jackson is worse "ABSURDITY" hasn't spent much time in Jackson. It can actually get worse than west B'ham, believe it or not, or at least close enough that it damn sure isn't absurd to claim.

"ABSURDITY" was also applied to saying Legion was nicer. Yes, I know Legion collapsed and all that and is no pallace. Ever been in VMS? I'll answer that for you - no you haven't. Might hold off on that absurdity claim until you've been there. At least the City of B'ham has spent money over the last 15 years to improve the place. VMS just kinda continues to exist. That place is so bad that when Arkansas occasionally still plays Ole Miss at War Memorial in LR, the third sister in this trio of city-owned southern dumps with SEC connections that we're discussing, you hear many folks on both sides say, "Well, at least we don't have to play in VMS in Jackson anymore. That place was a real dump." When you're making WMLR seem acceptable, you're doing some work.

I mean, as far as the stadiums, they both are pretty much dumps, but to say a comparison is absurd would mean that VMS was absurdly better than Legion to the point of making such a comparison useless as the strengths of one over the other were so overwhelmingly obvious. Anyone who has ever been in both, particularly recently, knows that is not the case.

20. Didn't mean to offend you with the post... I actually have NOT been to Jackson in a long while and I don't know where that stadium is. The north part of that town seemed to be fairly nice. I can understand how anywhere in MS can be very bad. Used to drive through Laurel all the time and just the smell of the chemical plant there was overpoweringly nauseous, plus the run down nature of the town.

Anything from I-65 westward all the way over to Texas in the old cotton South is a place that is stuck in the late 1940's to me.