Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SEC Officiating: You Have Lost My Trust

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by LLCoolJ94, Oct 26, 2019.

1. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Methinks your sarcasm detector needs a tune up....

I'm right there with you

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Maybe the refs have bets on the point spread. Or maybe wrestling is now allowed at the line of scrimmage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Of course. There is a foul (multiple probably) on every play. You want them to call everything that happens? Get 22 refs on the field so one can watch each player, and be prepared for 12 hour games where the ball only moves due to penalties.

Refs are human and there simply aren't enough of them to see everything. Do some minor and major things get missed? Sure they do, as with anything human. Is it some grand conspiracy or incompetent officials? Probably not. I assume the refs had their eyes elsewhere for the 1 second that this was so easily noticeable, seeing as there are 20 other players on the field.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
  4. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    I’ve seen it bad before but that Auburn game yesterday was awful. LSU was holding every single play, even with a take down or two, and it still wasn’t called.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Is this sarcasm?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    This has been your recurring argument. I even mentioned that I get it. The game moves fast and there are too many moving parts. But there are things each ref is supposed to be looking for. Most rational fans arent asking for every jersey grab to get called but there have been several tackles, pulls and facemasks that have been directly at the points of attack and in the field of vision of the respective ref whether it be the line judge, back judge or ref. Cleveland getting dragged is not a easy miss. Pitts getting mugged is not an easy miss. Auburns line getting pulled down is exactly what they are supposed to be looking at. Zuniga literally getting tackled then ankle locked is another one. I can honestly say I cant recall ever seeing so many egregious examples in short time. These are not savvy moves that refs are missing. These are panic moves by guys who were defeated by their counterparts that directly affected multiple plays.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LLCoolJ94

To add on to your thoughts here--and I called this out on the game thread as well--the first LSU TD pass against Auburn was blatant OPI. The refs are trained to look for elbow extension for a push off. The LSU WR (don't remember which) extended his arm fully to push off of the Auburn CB to create separation. That is textbook OPI.

In addition, in both the UF and Auburn games, I saw more plays than I can remember where the LSU OL were planting their hands into the masks of the DL and pushing back. In some cases, there are multiple OL with their hands into a single DL's mask.

I Spy with My Little Eye

I Spy with My Little Eye

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Are you conflating a shielded official missing PI call vs. holding on the edge rusher with 2 officials responsible for the area, repeatedly?

LSU learned in our game take until the refs say enough, they learned the lesson. Balance that against USCe DBs holding our receivers two weeks ago. The refs finally flagged them on subsequent plays and we were magically able to gain separation on pass routes again. That the role of the officials not to call every infraction but to inhibit one team from gaining an unfair advantage by disregarding the rules.

At least it used to work that way and usually does with neutral crews in games (post season bowls and Champ series)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gators8

gators8 GC Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    It's actually quite simple on the lack of holding penalties. Back when I played in the 70's If you were an o-lineman and had your hands outstretched away from your body, there was a damned good chance you were getting flagged. We blocked with our forearms not our damned hands.......that's called holding, what a concept.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Refs in the NFL make a decent living though that most don't want to watch. Doing a bad job and doing a bad job for your benefit are two EXTREMELY different things.

11. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    You need to re-watch the Swindle if you think it's even close.

By the way, ref intervention is why I can never go head over heals over basketball even though I played it every year in high school, football too but even on the high school level, the refs call things so ambiguously and it goes all the way to the NBA. Just gets worse because of the stakes.

The absolute worst reffing happens in NCAA B-Ball than any sport but maybe soccer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If history is any indicator, that probably wont be the case. I expect total ref protection of UGA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Boomer1344

Boomer1344 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No doubt the Swindle was the most corrupt game EVER.

Don't think it was mentioned, but on LSU's first TD pass in the corner of the end zone against Auburn, the right tackle was holding Auburn's end (Davidson?) so badly that he spun him around due to the grab, he then put his arms in the air which is a sure sign of self-admission and then proceeded to look at the ref to see if he threw a flag, which he obviously did not. Now I noticed the hold during live play which means it had to be bad. Refs are a joke. The least I expect is consistency, but maybe they are consistently bad.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, sorry. I missed that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. LLCoolJ94

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LLCoolJ94

Mugging in Baton Rouge!

[​IMG]

Police did not respond to the scene

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

All part of the game. Holding happens on every call. Refs can't see everything
    :rolleyes::mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    There may be enough outcry to call a fair game. But typically Georgia is second only to bama in influence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 All American

Oct 9, 2011
    And it's not the "what they were doing" that is the problem. It's that, if someone else did it, they would get flagged.

The double standards are glaring.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Neptune

Neptune Senior

Jul 19, 2007
    This.
    For me, it's most obvious when Danielson doesn't say anything. He's usually the first talking head to complain when Fla. gets away with a ticky-tack or even egregious penalty (which is rare, but you know). He even openly lobbies for replay to stop the play and take another look. And acts all incredulous about it.
    And to give him credit - it seems like he notices a lot of stuff. BUT...
    In the replays where the LSU holding is RIDICULOUS, he just talks about the LSU QB being "mobile and talented."
    Like, shut up, Gary. They're holding and it's ruining the game for me.

Ah well - when will it ever change?

• Winner Winner x 1